Omicron

LOL…I hope they get the humor…and I hope you recover quickly!

5 Likes

My husband is a high school teacher, so we’re resigned to the thought that one or both of us will get it in the next couple of weeks. We’re both triple vaxxed, so chances are high that it’ll just be like the flu. But, we do have his elderly parents and nephews who are too young for the vaccine to worry about. Plus I’d rather not be spreading it to everyone. Even having the flu is icky. So we’re kinda keeping to ourselves. Not going to stores, unless absolutely necessary, not being in close contact with anyone. Its also just for a few weeks until it makes its way through the school systems. Then back to “normal”, whatever the heck that is!
@TomH Congrats on 43 years! Hope you get better quickly!
@3cTim Glad you pulled through! I can’t wait to see the cookies you make for Valentine’s Day!:laughing:

9 Likes

good idea…something to look forward to doing :slight_smile:
hope that if you get it it is mild and over fast

3 Likes

@TomH Don’t wear a red shirt!

2 Likes

@Chris Plague, Inc., eh?! Geese, I participated in several war-gaming exercises and “thought” piece work in a past life to develop scenario’s for national planning…and here they’ve gone and developed a game of it? I guess not surprising…

Had to delay responding to get to the doc…I’m another statistic in the Covid positive column. On the good side, lungs are clear and I appear on the down hill side of recovery, now to watch the wife for any symptoms! Doc said I technically qualified for monoclonal antibodies due to T1, but due to good condition might be declined. Unless I get worse, I think it best to give them to someone worse off.

8 Likes

:muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

2 Likes

Yeah I read somewhere that data from California suggests a typical 2-shot course is about 5% effective at preventing infection. I think boosters raise it somewhat but it’s not anywhere near as effective as it was against delta.

My own case experience: My in laws took my (unvaccinated) youngest son to a zoo and to a barber (against my express wishes; I had to leave to visit my dad who was dying and TOLD them not to do both of those things and they willfully misheard.)

He got covid. All of us around him have so far tested negative (2 kids double-dosed, and all the adults 3x.) We’re still only 3 days out so we could still test positive but so far it seems like the vaccination ring did seem to hold up.

He spiked a super high fever, barfed 2 times, and then 24 hours later seems totally fine. But of course he’s still teeming with virions so we’re going to isolate him until day 5 at least, or until he tests negative.

10 Likes

oh my i hope he recovers quickly and without further symptoms and you can all avoid getting it. even though most cases are mild no need to tempt fate

2 Likes

yeah plus in San Francisco, the rules are very bizarre but basically, if I isolate my older kids and they stay negative they can attend school cause they’re fully vaccinated. But if they’re positive, then all of a sudden they have to miss about 2 weeks of school. After being out of school for more than a year they need every class they can get. If I hadn’t isolated them, the older two might have missed a month of school when you factor in the possibility of quarantine plus sequential infection.

3 Likes

That is just so hard. We are helping some of our friends kids who are in pre-calc because the lightened curriculum last year in Algebra 2 didn’t teach the log sections. So the kids are struggling this year mightily and the teacher isn’t compensating, just teaching the curriculum as if the kids had a normal Algebra 2 year. So frustrating. Glad you are able to keep them in as much as possible.

7 Likes

Isn’t that the way it is meant to work? I.e. people have to be taught a particular set of things and exactly that set. So the teacher isn’t responsible for fixing the failures of the previous year’s teacher, just teaching exactly what must be taught that year?

That is what a poor teacher does in my opinion. They realize that the curriculum was modified last year and they give the kids some additional light prep lessons to get them ready for the more robust curriculum, or at least offers remediation to the kids who aren’t getting it. In our case, the teacher isn’t providing the help despite the kids asking for it.

6 Likes

…and it sets up all the kids for failure. Which is pretty devastating and hard to come back from.

3 Likes

One of my my mother-in-law’s health care nurses (she has had 3 on a rotation basis so that she has 24/7 care) fell over last week, hit the floor and passed out. She couldn’t be revived so an ambulance was called.

She was tested for CoVid in the hospital, and tested positive. However, and selfishly and unfortunately , never told any of us until a few days ago. Now we had to do contact tracing which was a Bi*tch.

My Mother-in-law is a 101 year old with stage 4 breast cancer with complete dementia (which gets worse by the hour, frighteningly). My sister-in-law had moved into the house to be her primary care person, and then instead of hospitalizing her or putting her in a home, we called in health aides.

My Mother-in-law is an Auchwitz survivor. Now, in her dementia, she is having delusions that she is back in the Nazi camps (her entire family were either shot or gassed except for her younger sister; they were spared and instead both put to work bc they were so young and able). At times, she doesn’t know our names, she asks me how my 3 children are doing (I havent any children), etc (you get the idea). In any case, that is the state of her health.

So this nurse brought CoVid into her home. We dont know if she had been vaccinated and lied about it or not. There are many Jewish people in local communities who refuse to be vaccinated for religious reasons, and, as Jews, (and as per the demand from my mother-in-law) we hired only Jewish women to take care of her and her needs.

Well, due to highly unfortunate and unexpected circumstances, we got word yesterday that the nurse DIED in the hospital of CoVid (she was otherwise in excellent health). She had died 3 days before, but didnt “get around” to telling us. Now we are all in isolation waiting for our CoVid test results to come back.

We are all in shock that this is happening. We are also in shock to have heard that this once young and vital woman has passed away. And even if she had been double vaccinated and boosted and did catch Covid she is in that small % of people who suffer such dire consequences. Of course our heart and prayers go out to her family.

Just a reality check.

12 Likes

Well, had my appt with the Doc a couple of days ago, as noted elsewhere. I was surprised to hear I was Covid as my lungs are clear and felt like cold or flu without the nausea. I’ve spent a few days with no fever, but a sore throat, drippy nose, and a cough (not severe) that seems to have much resolved except an occasional cough and itchy throat. Will stay confined another day or so, but finally feel up to trying the software for a small CNC wood carving machine I got for Christmas now I have some energy.

@3cTim Hope you’re own case has resolved completely and the same for any others that have caught this stuff. BTW, the Doc had no clue what a StarTrek red shirt meant! When I explained, she seemed quite un-approving of my humor, apparently I was being vulgar…no offense intended and she may have lost someone close. But I take my grandfather’s advice: We need to laugh at ourselves when possible…easy to say, hard to do, hard for some to appreciate.
@Mariethm While I appreciate and share your resignation, I hope you don’t get it and the same for those you teach, albeit I’ll probably not get my wish. For what it’s worth, I’ve always said there are three grossly under appreciated professions: police officers, firemen (people?), and teachers! We expect them all to be everything to everybody and know everything!
@TiaG Hope you’re doing well and your son has maintained his recovery!
@Chris I can’t imagine any of my teachers (‘60s and 70’s time), even the ones I didn’t like, refusing to help a student that asked for it! I know teaching is much different today, less respect from students/parents in many if not most cases. I’m very watchful of my grandson’s education and wouldn’t hesitate to jump in, fortunately, I think my daughter and son-in-law would be there ahead of me.
@daisymae Sending good thoughts your way! My own mom went thru dementia and the last time I visited before she passed, she knew me as her son day 1, thought I was a cousin day 2, and on day 3 it was “Why are you in my room?!” But, if I could get her talk about aunts, uncles, and cousins, she knew everyone and their complete history, I’d just have to listen to it six times in a row…how I wish I could hear it one more time… It’s a cruel disease, but make the most of what you can!

7 Likes

@daisymae, I’m so sorry to hear all that. What an unfortunate and stressful situation. Please keep us posted.

4 Likes

my goodness…so sorry for everyone

3 Likes

I am so sorry, what an awful awful situation @daisymae , and how heart-breaking the experience of dementia is.

My dad similarly has home health aides to care for him in his last days. One of them lied for MONtHS about being vaccinated; however she did wind up getting it in August, and it’s so hard to find caregivers so we put up with it. But it really does endanger everyone in the home. I guess there’s no way to know if this poor woman was vaccinated. How sad either way.

Fingers crossed you all test negative. So far we are still negative, but I won’t exhale for a few more days.

5 Likes

went to dr today…my regular appt with gp which was scheduled before I had covid. He is so tired of trying to give good care from a distance and behind masks, and I dont blame him for that. since I was there I got my annual flu shot and my second dose of shingles vaccination …wow my arm is sore! also got a1c…6.3, might be high for some but its down from 7.8 before I started dexcom and omnipod and right after a holiday season of too many cookies :slight_smile: so overall a good day

11 Likes

Yay!!!

I’d love a 6.3! Congratulations and good work! After COVID, no less!

6 Likes