Omicron

update from yesterday

durring the day I did not have any real blood sugar issues…but I didnt eat much either , still not feeling like eating at all, still also very tired so went to bed earlier than normal…about 10:00 pm, blood sugar was at 96, about 2 AM it as 170 ( had nothing to eat since maybe 3 pm or so and that was not much, A slice of deli ham and amreican cheese on a low carb tortilla ) so anyway I treated with 2 units, turned basal up to 2 units per hour and went to sleep for a bit check again it was no lower so treat again etc it took a total of 8 units over 3 hours to get it down and ai was sure it was going to cause a huge crash but…it is 9 am now and the dog thinks it is time to get up so im up and blood sugar is 98 switched basal back to .9/hr and looks like a normal start of the day, aside from the cough fewer and sore throat
updated update…went down to 77 at 9:15 and dropping so decided to get ahead of low… had a cup of coffee with sugar(enough to make it 15 g carb) …now 10:30 its up to 197 … just no way to predict what its going to do… might be also in part due to cold med I took? now its 210 and rising more …
ok i checked and yes there is sugar in alkaseltser plus severe cold and flu cant ffind how much but must be a lot im up to 234

so 8 more units and im down to 117 at 1:20 time for another dose of med but I think Im going to pass and make due with tylenol LOL

7 Likes

The dog always knows, he/she is keeping an eye on you, their job!! I’m glad you were able to get the high back down but boy, that was a lot of insulin and time to do it! Illness is so difficult to treat BGs!

OMG, just saw your update, coffee+sugar shot you up to 197. Yikes! Shoot. Another correction and still no food. Maybe it is time to eat something regardless of low appetite. Good luck, I hope today will get you back to normal, after getting this latest spike under control! Happy New Year!!

4 Likes

thanks…yest it is really wacky today…gotta read what ingredients are in the alkaseltser cold med…maybe sugar in that

3 Likes

Maybe the coffee itself is adding to the spike?

3 Likes

but I drink coffee a lot every day several cups so that would be unlikely. I really think it is the cold med…last night and this morning were the first doses

3 Likes

I havent seen this topic come up in some time!! Wow.

Since I wrote this, I have been able to drink some caffeine (espresso) without any spike whatsoever No bolus necessary. Go figure :crazy_face:

4 Likes

For me at least…upon waking, I’ll take a moderate bolus, and then 30 minutes later right as the number is at 80 and trending down I know I’m free to have all the coffee I want…along with some carbs, being hydrated seems to help too

If I have coffee above 100 the number will go up and get stuck, requiring much more insulin

5 Likes

Unless a package is clearly marked as no sugar, you can pretty much count on just about all liquid cough, cold, an flu meds to be filled with high fructose corn syrup or something similar.

Your symptoms are very similar to a friend I have who’s going thru Covid, but I’m glad to hear neither of you seem a candidate for a hospital visit as yet and hopefully not later! I think a CGM is the best friend a T1 can have with this stuff (hopefully someone that can “follow” you if you can sleep). Sending good thoughts your way for symptoms to pass quickly!

4 Likes

thanks…i think im getting past the worst…

5 Likes

new year update:
blood sugar crept up over night to to 192 at 6am…did a bolus and it went down…but the good news is a slight sore throat and runny nose is all the symptoms I have left.

13 Likes

Except for the BG rise, sounds like good news. Here’s hoping it continues the trend toward normal!

5 Likes

OK one last update…I feel fine , doesnt look like there will be any lingering damage :slight_smile: one thing I will say is that omicron is very very infectious, in the end everyone who was at the christmas party got it (all vaccinated too) and everyone who was at a party the day before with the person who spread it christmas day also got it, also all vaccinated…so basicaly one person in 2 days infected over 50 people who were all vaccinated so be careful

10 Likes

Wise words. But hard to manage in a normal work life. Really glad things are settling down for you. I have a business trip starting tomorrow, so we shall see how it goes.

5 Likes

:flushed: :flushed:

8 Likes

much more transmissible than cdc guidelines would suggest…im sure being 3x vaccinated made us all get less ill but it looks to me like the vaccine does not at all prevent omicron infection

3 Likes

I have a family member who tracks COVID positives in a safety sensitive business. It exploded from
Dec. 25th onward. The “high” number of positives throughout prior spikes in the pandemic were nothing compared to the number of positives this past week.

Almost all were vaccinated and boosted, but very few had worse than a cold or light flu.

Some who had not been vaccinated were worse off.

Several were on their second infection of the pandemic.

Just interesting trends to watch from the outside.

4 Likes

There’s also this:
Are We Testing for Omicron Wrong? | MedPage Today

There are probably a large number of false negatives roaming around out there!

3 Likes

I think one very, very, important thing to remember is that a vaccine can never prevent a direct infection. Vaccines prep our bodies to respond to infections; the infection has to occur first before the work the vaccine has done can do anything at all.

When the press talk about “prevention” they are reducing their copy to a level they can understand. The people who understand this, the people who spoke to the guys in the press who either didn’t or, more likely felt their readers couldn’t understand, the people who understand, talk about “detectable” infection.

So we have lateral flow tests now (at ****ing last, a year after my 1st wife was talking about using them to test the whole university, not in this country, and they were doing it). And lateral flow tests are easy to use; last time I tried to get a COVID-19 test in Oregon it was like trying to get into a Bruce Springsteen concert, but it was a while ago.

Two things are confounded; first we have a more, much more, infectious variant of the Chemical. The US is sparsely populated; it’s maybe the least populated place on earth after Antarctica, Russia and, of course, Canada. So, hey, I’ve never been happy being closer than 2m to anything (particularly bears and people smoking weed), except my wife of course; we try never to be more than 2m apart. This accurately reflects most of rural America (excepting line dancing.) So we’re immune.

Second the issue of testing; as one of our Presidents observed (paraphrased), increased testing increases the amount of COVID-19 that is detected. We do more testing now. We didn’t test before 2021 - it wasn’t approved in the US to test unless it was absolutely, 100% absolutely swear on your mother’s grave, no, not like that, necessary. Now we are starting (just starting) to test.

So Omicron defeats the first part; even those of us who don’t line dance can get COVID-19, and testing refutes 2020.

To put a bright, optimistic, point on the end of another total downer post, the virus, the Chemical, doesn’t have any mind, or intention. It will simply change according to the particular human soup in which it finds itself floating. It might simply turn into another version of the common cold; it was probably a mistake to kill so many of us.

6 Likes

As those of us who have played Plague Inc. a few too many times know, too infectious is bad if your goal is too infect everyone. Hopefully there is no one person running the show doing thoughtful mutations like when I play this game.

5 Likes

@3cTim Glad to hear you’ll be well! I’m amazed at the infections probably caused at the two events! That’s impressive! I’ve apparently been following your lead…came down ill Saturday night (wife and I dared venture out to celebrate our 43rd anniversary at an actual restaurant on Friday); seems more like a very bad cold, no fever, sore throat, body aches one day chills one night. Going to doc today, wearing the t-shirt my wife made me…StarTrek logo, red, phrase “I may not make it!”…think they’ll get the humor?

7 Likes