Omicron

This is what I am going through with my 85-year old father right now. I tell myself every time I hear a story again that at least I am still lucky enough to listen to him. The isolation from the pandemic has sent him spiraling downwards. Going around town and talking to/joking with people has always kept him alive and in good spirits. The jokes are few and far between now. It is so cruel that he is in such great shape physically with no pain and strong as an ox but his mind is what is failing him.

7 Likes

I am staying as safe as possible: dog walks are my only excuse to get outside. Fortunately I can work remotely. My (retired … vaccinated & boostered) husband had been so good too, until last night when he felt the need to go to the hospital… for his heart. Then the doctors found other concerns. So even though he and I have made every attempt to “stay safe” and have declined every big gatherings, he is now in the hospital. So far, not with Covid, but I fear Omicron is there too.

My guess, my blood sugars are going to be compromised with this situation. Can we ever get a break?

11 Likes

I hope he is ok…and gets to go home soon…without covid…and your blood sugar stays in range through it all

4 Likes

Oh no! I hope he is fine and that he doesn’t catch omicron there.

2 Likes

we’ve experienced the same. And repeating everything over and over can be extremely frustrating. She has breakfast (or lunch or dinner) and ten minutes later she’s asking for her lunch again. but, like you, she remembers almost everything in the very distant past, and she’s reverted back to speaking Hungarian, Yiddish, and Hebrew. we dont speak Hungarian, but we understand all of the rest. However, she rarely makes any sense.

3 Likes

Just to relieve those interested: We all came back negative for covid. We did both the at-home tests as well as the PCR (48 hour, gold standard tests) just to make 100% certain. How absolutely selfish that woman was to come into our home and lie about it; now we do at-home testing before we let anyone past our family’s doors. Just not worth the risk.

I am praying for all those who have gotten it and suffered. Its crazy out there. But I am hoping that this Omicron is just a horrid wave and that it will pass sooner rather than later.

And just an aside bit of humor: I am feeling really inconvenienced bc I desperately need a mani-pedi and a hair cut and my legs waxed, and I am terrified to go into the salon, despite the precautions they have taken :crazy_face: .

8 Likes

I was just in NY this weekend. It seems to be declining there now.

6 Likes

My step dad died last night in the hospital of covid. We have all been very very cautious, smart and careful. This is a terrible loss and an even more terrible circumstance.

DM

PS: we are certain that he contracted it from his health care aid, bc my mother tested positive too this morning. she is elderly and quite ill.

11 Likes

I am so so sorry about this awful situation @daisymae. My heart goes out to you. May his memory be for a blessing.

5 Likes

I am very sorry to hear that DM.

3 Likes

DM - I’m so sorry to hear about your FIL’s passing.

Saying a prayer for your MIL :pray:

4 Likes

My heartfelt sympathies and prayers for you and your whole family.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry, @daisymae. How heartbreaking. You are in my thoughts!

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss and good thoughts of recovery for your mom!

4 Likes

Oh DaisyMae, I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. :heart::pray:

3 Likes

Sending warm thoughts your way. So sorry for your loss.

4 Likes

I am so sorry DM. Am thinking of you and your family and sending my best thoughts to your mother. All love - Jessica

5 Likes

ok …

1 Like

So sorry for your loss, @daisymae. Big virtual hug to you.

4 Likes