FUDiabetes

Omnipod Alarm Explanations

Thank you @Eric for compiling and sharing this information!

Omnipod alarm codes on the PDM are displayed under Alarm History. The alarm number is a sequence of 2 digits, followed by 5 digits, followed by another 5 digits, and ending with 3 digits.

XX-12345-12345-YYY

The only numbers that matter are the first 2 (XX) and the last 3 (YYY). The middle numbers tell Lot number and Pod ID or something internal to Insulet. They don’t have anything to do with actually identifying the failure.

There are only 3 different prefixes (XX) you can get at the beginning:

17 - occlusion
19 - pod error
11 - PDM error

So 17, 19, or 11 tells you the general type of error.

Now, on the last 3 digits (YYY), it gets somewhat nebulous because Insulet tech support is not part of the Insulet company, it is outsourced. Here is a list gathered from previous discussions with tech support reps:

000 - occlusion
016 - safety check, insulin delivery stopped
064 - interruption in the flow of insulin
066 - safety check, delivery problem inside the pod not on the site; (pod software or hardware error)
068 - unlabeled per tech support, insulin deliver stops, siren ON
069 - software or hardware failure in pod
078 - safety check, delivery problem inside the pod not on the site
080, 018, 052 - static electricity
092 - problem with a safety check occurred
(pods always perform safety checks and if a potential problem is found, the pod will abort itself)
103,104,105,106 - insulin delivery has stopped, change site
(the pod is not able to keep delivering, the error indicates a site issue, but that is not definite)

Example - an alarm of 19-12345-12345-106 means Pod error, insulin delivery stopped - check your site.

Please share any new alarm explanations you get from speaking to Insulet (you will most likely need to specifically ask as reps primarily focus on sending out a replacement pod, not looking-up errors).

End of wiki ---------- comments start here

8 Likes

@Millz, @Eric, truly outstanding!

Can we make this a wiki?

1 Like

Yep, I’ll do it now.

2 Likes

Love it! I’m planning on working on an OmniPod wiki in the future but haven’t gotten there yet. This will be a good reference!

3 Likes

Thank you for the explanation! I’d like to add that I had 2 pod failures with alarm ID numbers that ended with 018 and 052. Tech support confirmed that they are related to static.

2 Likes

Thanks. I added these to the list.

068 - error code rarely seen, not labeled within the OmniPod support documents apparently per tech support. Insulin delivery ceased and the pod went into siren mode.

1 Like

066 - safety check identified interruption in insulin delivery; pod software or hardware error

2 Likes

016 - safety check; insulin delivery stopped.

I’ve had two pods in two different locations die within 24 hours of start up due to interrupted insulin delivery this week. Hmmmm.

3 Likes

Just added it, thank you!

1 Like

So I have received this error twice this month on my daughter’s PDM, both during a bolus. The code is 11-144-0018-00049. I did not see it included on this list and customer care had no interest in investigating it, I tried. Can anyone on here help me out?

I’ll research a bit more but can tell you the “011” that it is a PDM error.

1 Like

Here is another list of POD error code descriptions
: https://github.com/openaps/openomni/wiki/Fault-event-codes

5 Likes

According to the Insulet Tech Support rep I spoke to this afternoon (when I had a pod failure) the last two digits of the second sequence of numbers represents how many hours the pod was active. So for instance if your code was 19-12317-12345-068, you would be able to deduce from the 2nd numerical sequence that the pod had been active for 17 hours.

2 Likes

Yes, that is true. Which makes it extremely funny that support asks you how long you were wearing the pod when you call in to report the pod failure! :grinning:

Hey, welcome to FUD!