New to xdrip, how do I install it?

@elver Thanks! That’s good to know.

Most welcome @docslotnick

@docslotnick
Quick question, im currently familiarising myself with looping for my son to start in December. I’ve read the docs and have downloaded android studio and have successfully downloaded androidAPS and ruffy to my Samsung and created nightscout. However I’ve tried to do the same with xdrip+ and keep getting an error msg during the build stating compile is obsolete and due to expire 2018. Is there a possible way around this? I’ve searched around but haven’t found any tips. Or can the file be directly downloaded from github to the phone?
Big thanks in advance

1 Like

I downloaded mine direct from github, working fine since about 3 months ago.

Awesome thank you. Android is all new to me, not to mention APS. Got it to work yay. Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good luck with APS. I don’t use it, but some here do.

I have no idea how to DM [quote=“elver, post:2, topic:5242”]
@docslotnick
[/quote] , but hope they doth appear when I invoke their username because I have a further question. I’ve just set up a dexcom G6 with a Samsung S6 for the first time. Does this mean I can’t use the transmitter and sensor with xdrip? Because that’s hat another forum was telling me…

1 Like

Hi @Towerhil I just want to clarify that I understand your ask - You have paired a Dexcom G6 receiver and a Samsung S6 phone (using the Dexcom app?) with a transmitter and now you also want to pair the same transmitter with XDrip? Generally speaking , and @docslotnick please correct me if I am wrong, but it’s usually one or the other, XDrip app or Dexcom app. You can’t cross the proverbial streams like in Ghostbusters as the 2 apps don’t play nice together. Also, there is a 2 item link limit for the transmitter - you can pair up to two items (a phone and pump, a phone and watch, a phone and receiver, etc)

1 Like

Yes! I am thinking this may not be happening for me. I thought I’d at least start out doing things by the book, then embellish, darlings. I can wait for a new transmitter then try again. It just didn’t seem too advisable to buy a new system then say ‘You know what, to heck with the instructions I’m gonna pair this with something I found on github.’ at least for the very first time of trying. Everyone raves about xdrip though. I guess I’ll be back in another 12 weeks when the transmitter fails!

1 Like

@Towerhil XDrip is great, and you can have it upload to a Nightscout site (free on Heroku) so there is no 20 minute information delay for your followers. Also Nightscout’s reports IMHO are every bit as good, if not better than Dexcom’s. My Endo has my Nightscout web address, and pulls her own reports, so she gets what she wants whenever she wants.

So for you the user, you have to make a choice - Dexcom app or Xdrip app, not both. One or the other. Xdrip can seem daunting, and occasionally it has a brief covfefe, but it works with more handsets than the official Dexcom app.

2 Likes

Yeah I think I’m ready to dive in immediately. Dexcom just doesn’t deliver, particularly in terms of sharing the data. Also some of their stuff seems to be in a permanent covfefe loop looking for their keys, putting them down, looking for their keys again.

@Towerhil You can’t pair the transmitter to xDrip+ and the Dexcom app on the same phone.

However, if you use separate phones, or a Dexcom receiver, you should have no problem.

1 Like

This is excellent news - thank you for your steer!

Hi guys, glad you’re here!. T1D for 30+ years (don’t ask) and just started using the DexcomG6…
Also just bought a Samsung Note10+ which is NOT compatible with the Dexcom app. I’ve been tooling around with XDrip+ which connects flawlessly at first, but then it seems if it drops the connection to the transmitter, it never reconnects. I’ve tried everything I can see to try and could use some guidance. I’ve reinstalled it 3 times now…

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

1 Like

Hi @art00r Welcome to FUD!

This thread tells you how to connect xDrip+ to a Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+/S9/S10/S10+, so that it does not drop the signal.

Ingenious solution by @Pastadude

Upgraded samsung and having xdrip+ issues? *fixed*

2 Likes

@art00r one trick, on android phones turn the battery saver feature off. For some reason, xdrip treats the battery saver function as a location access error. On the upper rightside of the home screen in xdrip, are 3 vertical dots. push there and a menu shows, If you open “view events log” you can generally find out why xdrip is not connecting.

2 Likes

It was funny. I did Pastadude’s fix and was connected for about 5 minutes. Then off again. Got fed up and left it - then a day or so later it reconnected and has been working ever since (about 2+ days).
It will even reconnect after I get far away and come back.
I really don’t want to have to buy and carry around a receiver, and I’m also disappointed in Dexcom software and their support desk really really sucks.
XDrip+ is for me. Thanks!!

1 Like

Hello! I’m so excited to get into contact with you. I have been a diabetic for 3 years. I have recently purchased a galaxy samsung watch 46mm so I can hopefully get my dexcom g6 readings onto it without having my fun. I could really use your help! I have been reading for hours trying to figure it out. The last thing I read was that I has to download active because my watch is 2.0 but I have no idea what active is. Please help! Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi docslotnick. Can I do the download and build on my phone? Thank you. I currently have xdrip+, a g5 and Samsung s10. It is not starting a new sensor session and i read somewhere to delete app and rebuild. Hoping i can do it on my phone. Thank you

1 Like

Hi @Nomadad13 Welcome to FUD!
What you should do first is just install the latest nightly build of xDrip+. Your problem was recently addressed by the developer.
https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/releases

As far as building the app, that requires a program like Android Studio on a PC, and some skill in using it.

Let us know how you do!

2 Likes