Lower carb bread

I found a lower carb bread at the store yesterday from Silver Hills Bakery in British Columbia. It’s a smaller slice sprouted wheat bread and comes in at 19 g carb for 2 slices. For comparison, Dave’s Killer Bread (thin-slice, 21 seeds and grains) has 24 g carbs for 2 slices.

I really love good, artisanal style bread so these fall short on flavor for me. On the other hand, I don’t get much of a spike and it’s handy when the local baker doesn’t have rye bread on offer.

4 Likes

HI @CatLady, we have a bread here called Alvarado St. Bakery sprouted flax seed bread that is about 6g net carbs per slice (we don’t count fiber). Not sure if you guys have that where you are?

We recently made Samson a sandwich made from the local farmer’s market bread, which just seemed to be a whole wheat levain. He didn’t spike at all. It’s made me wonder whether we should just go for nice, hearty, healthy breads and not worry so much about the carb content for him. That bread was sooo delicious. Dave’s is fine for a lunch sandwich but it certainly doesn’t have that heavenly fresh-baked, homemade crusty bread quality.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen that brand here but will look next time we head over to Portland.Thanks!

1 Like

Just read about another low-carb bread, from StoneBank Baking in the Milwakee area. Anyone familiar with it?

1 Like

How interesting! They are in Oconomowoc, really close to us. I will drive over this week, buy some samples, and report on it to everyone!

Funny that I hear about it from you:-)

2 Likes

Just ordered 3 loaves of the Artisan Rye on Amazon. Should be here next week. I’ll report back after the first sandwich😊

3 Likes

Of course you know the Artisan Rye bread must be eaten with high quality pastrami.

3 Likes

Oh now I’m drooling! :yum:

1 Like

Nope. Sky high tongue with Swiss cheese :yum:

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Baking your own low-carb bread

i hope that you realize that the best part of the pastrami is the fattiest (juicy) NOTthe lean part! its the only way to go. i mean, if you are going to eat something completely unhealthy, you might as well go for the gold :wink:

3 Likes

So, so, SOOOOO true:-)

1 Like

tongue with cheese??? hum. sounds like a peculiar combo.

how 'bout stuffed derma instead? yummmm :wink:

Tongue, Swiss cheese, Cole slaw, Russian dressing on deli rye. That is heaven between two slices of bread.

2 Likes

with or without seeds? i must have the seeded rye.

1 Like

I didn’t even know deli rye came without seeds. :blush:

1 Like

we actually went a long time without seeded rye in our neighborhood. it was terribly frustrating. i mean, if you’re gonna eat rye, arent the seeds essential?

1 Like

Just got the SoLo low carb Artisan rye, 3 loaves from Amazon, and I freely sampled it.

Nice and chewy but light, very good rye taste. The slices are on the small side, so a meal would probably be two sandwiches with four slices of bread. But at 4g net carbs per slice that’s ok.

Tomorrow morning I’ll try it toasted slathered with butter, and I’m anticipating that it will be delicious.

The biggest negative is that it doesn’t have caraway seeds. I’m going to write to the company to see if they would be amenable to correcting this glaring error.

A bit expensive at $27 including shipping for the three loaves. But it sure is nice to have a few slices of good tasting bread without having my Bg skyrocket.

2 Likes

How could they?

@docslotnick makes lunch:

Dagwood_sandwich

3 Likes