FUDiabetes

Different bread, different reactions

did you know that most breads are made from wheat? but then there is also white breads, breads with nuts, bread with seeds, bread that is made with malt…

and then there is SOURDOUGH bread. normally, i need a longer pre-bolus for bread so that i dont spike from its immediate surge of simple sugars. but with sourdough bread and its low GI, you can actually keep your flat line BG flat. it digests slowly and doesnt get that crazy rise we’re all familiar with. and this is not only from my own experience with it, but i found it on several websites.

if you enjoy it great; if you dont, maybe you will after several of your own experiments and experiences.

Now Go Out and Indulge!!!

3 Likes

Yes. Sourdough is also harder to toast because of the acid. (Browning is inhibited by acid and promoted by alkali.)

1 Like

Nor does it have to be technically a sourdough. In my own many years of home baking, I find that any bread made with a natural starter (called variously levain, poolish, biga, or sponge) digests slower and doesn’t spike like straight-yeast (“direct method”) breads, especially supermarket breads with their extra yeast. Even adding a few tablespoons of my natural starter to a regular yeast dough will result in less BG rise.

3 Likes

thanks for the info. this explains everything!!! :smile:

1 Like

In addition, unless the baker is an idiot, the natural starter bread tastes so much better than “regular” bread, that if given a choice most people would prefer the natural starter bread anyway.

1 Like