Do we all need a personalized glycemic index?

I’ve been following this work and find it really fascinating. If this data is borne out, then what people reallyneed to do is keep a logbook of every individual food they eat and how it affects BG numbers. A bolus library:

1 Like

An interesting article, thanks for posting!

Two thoughts occur: the study has a small number of participants and perhaps not a long enough exposure to sourdough’s microbes to make a difference. Other research (I will ask my husband to track it down) suggests that ingested microbes may not make a big difference in the gut populations.

In my personal experience, I do much better with artisanal rye sourdough (which has some wheat flour) than with whole-wheat sourdough. Mostly I eat Dave’s Killer thin-sliced bread (the type with all the seeds).

Empirically, I’ve realized this for many years. And that the glycemic index changes over time.

For instance, twenty years ago bread ( any kind) had a pretty low GI for me, and I could not understand why it was so high in all the GI tables I saw. Now, if I look at a piece of bread sideways my Bg skyrockets.

Conversely, the same amount of carbs in bread as in cereal like grape nuts has always been a real challenge for me, consistent with GI tables. But Cheerios has never been a problem.

Go figure that were all different.

1 Like

yeah, I’m not as sold on the idea that the microbes in the sourdough are different – just the idea that people’s response to specific foods is much more individual than the glycemic index would have us believe.

1 Like

We have the same personal experience in GI calculations with my son: we do not always see the numbers indicated. For instance, we were expecting a low GI from that crappy Uncle Ben’s white rice from the tables, but never saw it when compared to brown basmati.

Of course, when you look at GI tables from different origins, you also see discrepancies.