Bread

At my local Target, I found Dave’s Killer Bread! According to the label, It has quite a bit of carbs per slice. Is it a good bread from the perspective of predictable BG rise? Or does it tend to spike our BG less because it doesn’t contain awful ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup? Does it tastes good? At $5 a loaf, it’s more expensive than other mass produced breads, but it’s less than $10/loaf for the Base Culture bread that my local health food store sells it for. If Dave’s Killer Bread tastes decent, I’ll try it. But if it tastes like garbage, LOL, I don’t even want to try it.

2 Likes

Dave’s Killer bread if it is made in Oregon tastes significantly better than regular bread. If it isn’t made in Oregon I would be a bit wary, i.e. I am not sure if they have done a contract bread making thing or not. We have been eating it for years and in addition to a good product it helps support people that were formerly incarcerated by giving them a job. As to the blood sugar effect, it is just normal bread, although no corn syrup, so I wouldn’t expect any miracles there. We currently buy Franz Keto Bread and love it. All the bread taste with a very muted glucose response.

4 Likes

I like Dave’s thin slice bread but do find I can get a bit of a spike from them. YDMV, of course.

2 Likes

We have Dave’s in the SF area, and like @CatLady I look for the thin sliced version - it’s the only version I have a chance at without gobs of insulin to cover the spike.

2 Likes

We don’t have Dave’s in NY but we do have a delicious German bread (and available online) that is thinly sliced and if you use German mustard (w/ ACV and no sugars) it does not spike at all, though I will have a slow rise a few hours later but no spike. It is also delicious :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Depending on where in NY you are, Dave’s is available fresh not frozen. Though if given the choice between Dave’s and a dark German pumpernickel or a Polish Kimmelweck…Dave’s loses.

Now i’m salivating thinking about a Roast beef on weck…sigh

4 Likes

I checked the nutrition for the German bread, it has 24 g of carbs for a slice. As long as it is satisfying and satiating that’s what counts. Some products are very high in carbs, and leaves a person still feeling extremely hungry (some breads and buns are delicious but full of sugar, you eat it and 5 minutes later, you’re hungry again! LOL)

2 Likes

I find it more predictable than other breads, I think the grains are a little more coursely ground and more fiberous components etc… “less processed” seems to be the preferred cliche. But it is significantly better behaved for me than other “whole wheat” etc breads

4 Likes

I’m not super into Dave’s killer bread in terms of the flavor, but their thin-slice bread is pretty low in carbs, so that’s what we use for Samson. For us, it spikes blood sugar about as much as ordinary bread, but other folks may have a different experience. I don’t think it tastes like garbage though. Just not great. I personally only like bakery bread though, so you can see whereI’m coming from.

1 Like

And don’t forget the German mustard w/ ACV! It absolutely makes a difference for me. Plus I only eat one slice and make it into a cheese sandwich and it is definitely filling! They have other types of bread, too, like Pumpernickel, or Sunflower, and also a Natural Fitness style which I believe only has 19g per slice. Google it:
https://www.mestemacher-gmbh.com/products/product-line-us/

2 Likes

I’ll keep an eye open for it but I love the German bread!!

1 Like

Here’s a handy dandy little tool that shows where to find Dave’s.

http://www.daveskillerbread.com/locator

2 Likes

Wow, thanks, they actually sell at my town’s store, I just never noticed it because I don’t shop for bread! I would not have thought that Acme sells it!

4 Likes

I tried Dave’s Killer Bread. It didn’t spike my BG, so that’s good :-). I don’t know what it is about some of the other carbs… Despite the accurate counting and dosing, some of the other items still spikes. Dave’s Killer Bread is ok by me !

4 Likes

I stumbled upon Dave’s Killer 21 Grain Bread and love it! I still see a spike in BG but not as extreme as other brands that use more processed ingredients. The grains may have some effect by adding more fiber. You can get a 2-pack at Costco for $7.75 so I would recommend buying there.

4 Likes

Yes - maybe - the good grains may be better than the usual stuff.
Awesome! I’ll look for them at Costco!

1 Like

I don’t know about Dave’s Killer bread because I haven’t seen it here. I use a bread making machine to make my own bread. You can find a recipe that doesn’t spike the BG and tastes really good. One hint if you make your own, try adding an 1/8th to 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger to the batch. It acts as a natural preservative and it doesn’t give the bread a strong ginger taste, but just a tiny kick of flavor.

5 Likes

Those dark dense breads seem best for my blood sugar. I love bread and am constantly looking for something that won’t give me a spike - the darker and denser, the better.

5 Likes

I know that this has absolutely NOTHING to do with Dave’s bread, but in regard to spiking after eating bread, I have had great success avoiding any spikes with Rye Bread, especially TJ’s Rye, and its delicious. 20gms carbs in each thick slice, very dense and seeded.

just my 2cents :yum:

4 Likes

Also if you’re around any bakery that does “ancient grain” breads (like Spelt, for example), those seem to be pretty good too.

3 Likes