If you live in the PNW - This bread is amazing

So, my son has pretty much given up on bread as an everyday thing, just because he eats around 100-200 carbs a day, which seems like a lot, but honestly with meat and vegetable and a bit of fruit goes really fast. So I saw this in our Winco today, and think sure 12 carbs a slice, supposedly 0 net carbs. What is it really going to do to him. Made him a grilled cheese with 2 slices of bread and some great cheddar we had lying around. Amazing, no glucose response at all. Now we will check this in a few days, but this is the first time we have had success with one of these types of products. Usually the carbs act like sugar and the net carb thing goes out the window. Great stuff. It isn’t like the most amazing bread you have eaten, but for someone who has mostly substituted tortillas for bread, it was cool.

10 Likes

Thanks @Chris! Their website says the Gluten Free is available for online ordering, nothing else. I looked on Amazon and nothing except the Gluten Free.

I wonder if the DOC were to band together if we could get them to sell Keto / Carb Free bread online too?!?!

I hope tomorrow’s experiment goes equally as well!

2 Likes

Yes, we have only seen it locally in the last week. Not sure they are making enough to begin online ordering. I was at Costco, and they seem to have every possible Franz bread for sale, but not this one. Assuming this sells, I am sure it will be available more broadly.

2 Likes

Really? Do tortillas not cause him much problem? I have a hell of a time with them… even the “low net carb” ones. Is there a certain kind that work for you?

2 Likes

We have been using really small ones. They sell these cool small corn tortillas at the grocery that only have 6 carbs. Sometimes we have used the low net carb ones, but we treat for the full amount of carbs when using those. This bread is the first time we have used something with low net carbs that has acted that way.

1 Like

Yeah the smallest street taco corn tortillas are my best bet by far too.

Good tip on the bread I’ll definitely keep an eye out for it

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! Looked for it today at two QFC (Kroger) groceries and no luck. Franz has stand alone outlet stores in my area. Next time I am near one I will stop in and pick some up…looking forward to giving this a try.

1 Like

Our second trial wasn’t as good as the first, on the other hand my son ate two pieces with a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter and had a mild rise with no insulin to cover the food. I am calling this one a success. Fingers crossed it stays around for awhile.

1 Like

I can’t eat water without some kind of rise if no insulin

2 Likes

That bread sounds great! Glad you found it. :slight_smile:

And I agree about anything causing a rise without insulin, I’d consider that pretty great!

1 Like

This looks amazing. Wish it was available on the east coast.

1 Like

If it is as successful as I think it will be, someone on the east coast will take notice and make something similar. There are many folks on low carb diets these days.

I will take a look both in Winco and Wal-Mart next time I zip through one of these stores and give it a try. (WM carries many Franz products, even GF.) I have tried the Dave’s thin slice styles (12-13 g per slice) but seem to do better with the Natural Grocers sprouted loaves.

1 Like

I found this one on Amazon but have not tried it yet cause its only sold in a three pack and cost $40. I don’t have that kind of money to waste on a -maybe- product. Nor do I want to get it and have it taste like crap and be stuck with the other loafs.

1 Like

Thanks for the this discussion. My T1 son has celiac as well.

I find it a struggle as most of the gluten free bread alternatives are basically like eating a slice of glucose.

These alternatives look great if I can find them.

2 Likes

Yeah $40 is freaking insane. The Franz loaf at Winco was between $4 - $5. Certainly low enough to be a throw away if it sucked.

It’s only $26.08/ lb for bread

Which is way cheaper than Prime Beef or Insulin by the pound, so there is that.

1 Like

Or test strips…Probably would be less expensive if constructed with solid gold.

1 Like

Keep testing. Sometimes LC products aren’t as LC as they claim.

1 Like