Baking your own low-carb bread

Am I the only one that makes my own bread? Everyone seems so amazed that I do it, especially when they find out it’s in an oven and not a bread maker. With an hour in the kitchen each month I can make four loaves which last me a month if I’m eating a sandwich every weekday, much longer if I’m not.

I use almond flour for the bread, or more recently have used homemade sunflower seed or pumpkin seed flour, since so many schools are nut-free. I follow an extremely simple recipe, so the bread is pretty borning, but I may try something fancier one of these days.

Some of the breads you guys are mentioning, at 6g and 9g per two slices, sound just as low-carb as the stuff I make.

5 Likes

@Jen, I wouldn’t mind baking some too. What is your recipe?

This is the recipe I started out with last year when I first began baking. It’s a very basic recipe.

There are a million other low-carb bread recipes. Some delicious-looking ones rely on a lot od dairy, so I haven’t been able to try those. (Look up, for example, “fat head pizza” for an example of low-carb pizza crust that’s apparently delisious but that I haven’t been able to try.)

3 Likes

Nope. I’ve been making all kinds of bread, by hand, since I was 12. I don’t bake low-carb as a rule, and though I’ve done it a couple of times for visitors, I’ve never been eager to return to them. Probably the “best” was Peter Reinhart’s Toasting Bread, which is built on flaxseed meal and pecan flour, and was kind of tolerable to me toasted, though our visitors loved it (but they were sort of '70s hippie commune types to begin with). It was from his book The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking, but someone has reprinted it here:
https://www.thepearlofsenecalake.com/menu-recipes/gluten-free-toasting-bread.htm

Fewer and fewer people do anything in the kitchen these days, it seems. Recently one of my partner’s Facebook friends – an adult, a parent – proudly announced she had made whipped cream from scratch. :worried:

5 Likes

Dang that is super simple. I will give it a try! I used to make cloud bread but it is not doughy enough to my liking so I don’t do it much anymore.

2 Likes

I baked a loaf using the recipe you posted, except used xylitol instead of splenda. I like the results! The texture is nice and bread-like and it is reasonably crumble-resistant. Next time I’ll probably add a bit of salt and perhaps some flaxseed to mix the texture up a bit. Thanks for the tip!

5 Likes

Glad you like it! I’ve added flaxseed and it’s great. This bread is also great toasted!

1 Like

What a lovely pic and a great endorsement!

This is motivating me to do the same. I may just try this tomorrow eve if I have all the ingredients.

I’ve made a similar bread to that one - almond flour is a wonderful thing. I also make pancakes, muffins, banana bread, etc with it.

1 Like

For the dairy-free folks, I just made this bread the other day using 1/4 cup of coconut oil instead of my typical 1/2 cup of DF margarine, and it turned out denser than usual but yummy! I didn’t beat together the coconut oil with anything since I omitted the stevia, so that may have made it a bit less dense. I’ve been using it for my sandwiches this week and will continue to use coconut oil in the loaves for the time being.

2 Likes

Do you refrigerate or freeze the 4 loaves?

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to use this recipe for a couple years due to discovering that egg is a huge allergen for my eosinophilic esophagitis and stomach issues. But when I did make it, I froze the loaves until I needed them and kept the one I was currently using in the refrigerator.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about the egg allergy :cry:.
I just read about flax eggs - flaxseed and water, elsewhere. It’s supposed to behave just like eggs. I don’t have any experience with it. I add flaxseed meal to my yogurt - that’s about all the experience I have with flaxseed.

1 Like

Yeah, dairy and egg allergy are among the main reasons I stopped eating low carb. And I have a life-threatening potato allergy which is the most limiting of all, because i have to be so careful about cross-contamination. I recently found out that the company I’ve ordered raw ingredients from in the past now processes potato starch. I emailed them and they said all their products are processed on the same equipment. I have cashews from them that I’ve been using to make my daily coffee creamer, and wondered if cross-contamination is why my throat often feels weird after drinking coffee in the morning. I have cocoa powder from the same company that I hadn’t opened yet, and made hot chocolate (also with the cashew creamer) with it when I ran out of my usual cocoa powder. This time my throat felt weird, I felt nauseous, and my heart raced, and those symptoms continued for more than two hours. I probably should have used my EpiPen for that reaction. But, regardless, it means I need to find a new source for these products, even though they’re relatively unprocessed. Anyway, sorry, that was a bit of an off-topic rant, but living with these allergies sure gets exhausting.

I’ve used flax eggs before, actually used them in this bread to replace two of the eggs. But you can only replace so many eggs with flax eggs, and they don’t work well for recipes that call for more than two or three eggs. So for this bread, and for things like pancakes, I haven’t found a good low-carb solution that’s also dairy- and egg-free.

3 Likes