Lower carb baking

I have been on the South Beach diet to lose some weight and being able to see every carb that I eat (on the side of the package). Didn’t lose very much, but did keep my sugars stable. The meals are ok. The best thing that I found were the breakfast ricotta cheese muffins–banana, blueberry and chocolate. They are very good and soft and filling. But… they have 12 gr of carbs per muffin and 4 g of fat. Protein is 6.5 per muffin. I used to eat 2 in the morning (nothing else) and sugars would spike. Now I eat 1 and 1 egg and I’m ok. Ingredients include whole wheat and almond flour mixture, skim milk ricotta, soy protein isolate, egg and agave as sweetener along with the few tiny blueberries.
This weekend I played with a recipe using almond flour only, egg, baking powder, whole milk ricotta, salt and granulated eryrithritol as sweetener (1.3:1) and a tsp of cinnamon and vanilla. Had sugar free choc chips on order, so I threw in a few real dark choc chips. They came out very tasty and soft if I nuke them for 20 sec. NOW… I need to figure out the nutritional info.! I found the recipe by googling ricotta cheese chocolate chip muffins and just substituted. I might try using some PB2 in my next recipe or a few pecans. Or just try cocoa for a chocolate soft muffin (yum!). I think I’ve found the perfect low carb muffin! Anyone else have any good ideas? Good luck, Nickyghaleb

5 Likes

I use My Fitness Pal’s recipe nutrition calculator for stuff like this. Just enter in the ingredients in the recipe and specify the number of servings and it will calculate everything for ya! Other websites have a similar system set up but I’ve found that MFP has the biggest food database to pick ingredients from

7 Likes

I’ve got NONE. :grin: But I’ll be thrilled to see what anyone comes back with. I’m back to trying to use mind over matter with my carb lust… and am humbled by my complete inability to practice self-control. :grin:

So thank you very much! I’m gonna need it!! :hugs:

2 Likes

Nickyghaleb

November 7

Tfischman:
Anyone else have any good ideas?

I’ve got NONE. :grin: But I’ll be thrilled to see what anyone comes back with. I’m back to trying to use mind over matter with my carb lust… and am humbled by my complete inability to practice self-control. :grin:

Tfischman:
Good luck, Nickyghaleb

So thank you very much! I’m gonna need it!! :hugs:

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Tfischman

November 7

I have been on the South Beach diet to lose some weight and being able to see every carb that I eat (on the side of the package). Didn’t lose very much, but did keep my sugars stable. The meals are ok. The best thing that I found were the breakfast ricotta cheese muffins–banana, blueberry and chocol…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

@Tfischman, something went wrong with your post. It may need to be edited directly on the forum.

Hi @Kaelan! First of all, I just wanted to say hello. I’ve seen your name all over the place but have never had the honor to meet you! :grin:

And are you talking to me?? I thought something was wrong but wasn’t sure. Should I delete??

1 Like

Hi @Nickyghaleb!

I am not posting much normally. But I did not post for a long time.

It was a shoutout for @Tfischman: her last post, right before your response here, was by email (you can see her mail icon on the right of her post if you are looking at it on a computer), but something went wrong: there is no new content, and her new post quoted all of your previous post that she was responding to. I think the only way to fix it is to edit the post on the forum, you cant do it by email.

2 Likes

I probably replied to the wrong post. I’ll edit it and repost

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Tfischman: I look forward to reading more of your posts.

There is an introduction thread if you wish!

Hi, @Tfischman! I have Celiac Disease in addition to t1 (so no wheat/barley/rye), so I’ve picked up several almond flour recipes since being diagnosed with diabetes. Biscuits, banana muffins, blueberry muffins, pancakes, and scones!

All of these freeze well, so you can make large batches and just pull whatever you need from the freezer each morning. I’m not able to do artificial sweeteners, so a couple of these recipes you’ll have to sub out the sweetener (and I also can’t do dairy, so most of these are dairy-free!), but they’re all really good and I make them all the time. Happy baking!

6 Likes

Oh, yes, @Tfischman… I can’t believe I forgot there are some seriously creative cooks in here who have all kinds of special diet recipes. Hopefully you can connect with them!

3 Likes

Just in case you thought my baking creativity means I’ve got it all together…I’m right there with you. I may or may not have eaten popcorn and cereal for a snack last night. :blush: with wine, no less…it was a hard day. :laughing:

5 Likes

With the exception of the wine (which I proved long ago I can’t handle), you and I are a lot alike… crazy, hectic home life, gluten stuff (I’m sure I have Celiac disease, too, just haven’t gotten around to confirming), carb lust…

You can cook though. That’s probably a way bigger difference. :grin:

2 Likes

Well, I could cook prior to my CD diagnosis, but I cook a lot better now. It forced me to learn how to cook all over again, so I actually really learned the second time around. You just need the right motivation, and being able to, you know, eat, does it for me. :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing those recipe links @Pianoplayer7008 ! I’d like to get more adventurous with almond flour and such as a means of reducing carbs. What do you use in place of the artificial sweetener in the scones? I prefer not to use artificial sweeteners most of the time so a lot of the lower carb recipes turn me off for that reason, but it seems like an almond flour recipe sweetened with honey or something would be a good middle ground!

2 Likes

I’ve actually found a way to eat without cooking… now it does require listening to my mother drone on and on about what I should be doing with diabetes management, but nothing good in life is free. :grin:

6 Likes

Have you tried erythritol?

It is sort of nautral (it comes from fruit although the stuff we use is derived from corn using yeast) and pretty much acts like sugar but has no impact on my blood sugars. It is a nautrual sugar alchol but it does not have the unpleasant gastrointestinal problems that other sugar alcohola have.

My son with T1 also has celiac so we make a lot of things with almond flour and usually we use erythritol as a sweetener. It is pricey though.

I try to avoid the other sugar alcohols but I do use splenda sometimes.

4 Likes

I’ve got a bit of an obsession with Bai coconut water lately, and it’s sweetened with erythrotol. It never would have occurred to me to use it in baking! I actually didn’t realize it doesn’t cause the digestive upset thst other sugar alcohols cause, so I’ve been a little leary of it aside from my coconut juice habit. But really I didn’t even know it was an ingredient you could buy and do anything with! Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

It actually performs very close to sugar in baking. I have not made caramel out of it, but I have made meringues and they have worked out similar to sugar.

My only complaint is that is can have a very slight “cooling effect” on your mouth - sort of like mint.

I have used other sweeteners like Swerve, and I find the “cooling effect” much more pronounced so I tend to avoid those.

5 Likes

Honey is in no way low carb. You may as well just use sugar, carb-wise. Same with maple syrup.

Erythritol is good (it’s part of what makes pears sweet!). I also use xylitol sometimes, but be careful if you have dogs, because it’s toxic to them.

4 Likes