Indoor exercise equipment

I know several in our group exercise and bike. I’ve been having knee problems lately and am unable to complete my runs so I’m looking to buy an indoor bike to supplement my restricted running. Any recommendations for an indoor exercise bike or other exercise equipment for knee impaired individuals?? Thanks for all advice!

3 Likes

I have near bone on bone in both knees median on the right and lateral on the left. The important thing is that saddle height and fore/aft position is correct for you.

The quick and dirty method is to back pedal with your heel on the pedals. At maximum extension your legs should be straight. The fore/aft is to to have a plumb line from the fibia knob on the outside of your knee to the pedal spindle with the pedal level and forward.

That done spin fast at lower resistance. Don’t grind hard at slow cadence. That along with Improper saddle height is a way to injury.

As to a particular machine I am ignorant. I use my old bicycle mounted to a smart trainer that is controlled by th Zwift game app.

My road bike has been professionally fitting for me. I just used the same measurements for the stationary bike.

A well fitted bike is a joy

2 Likes

Theres a really wide range of options. At the low end you can get a used spin bike or put your bike on a magnetic trainer and watch old movies on your laptop. At the high end you’ve got Peloton and any number smart bikes hooked up to Zwift or Rouvy.

Do you have an outdoor bike already? Do you like exercise classes or self directed workouts?

1 Like

@Trying before I got mine replaced, I could not get more than 65° in one knee and 83° in the other. I used a rower because you need +100° to make a complete rotation for a bike.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies. I’m not really a biker but I do have a mountain bike for local paths, and a fold-up bike to take with me for paths further away. I will bike up to 60 miles on bike paths, but go very slow. Now that the weather is cooler, I don’t bike at all. Really, NY only has 3 or 4 months when biking outdoors is warm enough (for me!).

@CarlosLuis Yikes, bone on bone sounds excruciating so I’m really impressed that biking is possible for you! Thanks for the hints on sizing. It didn’t occur to me that sizing was so important, or fast with low resistance vs slow with high resistance would make a difference, where the latter could actually cause more injury. I’m one who generally takes the high resistance route so I’m glad for this tip! The trainer that you have posted an image of is fantastic. My bike is an old mountain bike. Did you have to create a custom mount for your bike with this trainer? It looks like the front and back wheels are removed and the front is mounted securely to a custom stand with the back on the trainer.

@Karl.n thanks for the info on types and workouts. I’ve never taken a bike class indoors or otherwise, and I don’t belong to a gym. So I would say I prefer the self-directed workout. I would like to be able to program a workout on my phone/tablet or on the bike, and be able to have a variety of biking conditions throughout the workout. Is that even possible on a bike? I’ve used elliptical machines at hotels and I know one can choose various workouts such as “random”, and the machine will change the resistance at key transitions throughout the workout, hence forcing the athlete to adjust one’s effort. Is that how an indoor bike works, too?

@elver thanks for this tip. Are you now able to bike without pain after the knee replacement? I hope so! I have an indoor rower but it is one of those basic rowers without any ability to program it. It has a simple LCD that counts strokes. I actually was considering on whether I should just upgrade the rower, or get an indoor bike! So your comment is very pertinent to me. Most websites that I’ve read say the bike is easier for those with impairments so I decided to forgo the rower. But after hearing your comment, maybe I should rethink.

1 Like

The elliptical machine is analogous to some trainers, those are called “smart” trainers or bikes. Since you’ve already got a bike that you can ride for a long time it makes sense to get a trainer. Probably worth going to a local shop to ask what your mountain bike is compatible with. Most smart trainers are going to be $350-1k+ right now. The more expensive ones are nicer but a basic one probably meets your needs. Then you can sign up for any one of many services like Trainerroad, Zwift, Sufferfest, Rouvy, etc etc that will build workouts to a laptop or tablet.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Karl.n, for this advice. I was indeed just perusing “trainers” on the Internet! Good idea to visit a local bike shop. Yes, I think basic should meet my needs esp as I am such a novice!!

1 Like

[quote=“Trying, post:5, topic:13273”] @Trying
Yikes, bone on bone sounds excruciating so I’m really impressed that biking is possible for you! Thanks for the hints on sizing. It didn’t occur to me that sizing was so important, or fast with low resistance vs slow with high resistance would make a difference, where the latter could actually cause more injury. I’m one who generally takes the high resistance route so I’m glad for this tip! The trainer that you have posted an image of is fantastic. My bike is an old mountain bike. Did you have to create a custom mount for your bike with this trainer? It looks like the front and back wheels are removed and the front is mounted securely to a custom stand with the back on the trainer.
[/quote]

I believe that if not for cycling, I would have been a candidate for partial knee replacement on the right knee. We cyclists have a saying, “Motion is lotion.” The constant low impact action of pedaling redistributes the synovial fluid.

This trainer is what is called a direct drive. Other trainers are driven by the tire. The plus of tire driven trainers is they are simpler to mount, the cons is excessive tire wear and slippage for strong riders (not me).

The advantage of the smart trainer and the Zwift or TACX app is that there are choices of routes with varying climbs and descents. The app varies the resistance to match the elevation, while you can watch the scenery. On a regular trainer or stationary bike the max I can do is 45 minutes and 20 minutes of that I am grinding my teeth.

Since I was using a bike frame that I no longer ride, and a direct drive trainer, there was no need for wheels or brakes. In the picture below you can see that I replaced the brake/shifter levers with dummy hoods and bar end shifters.

About the front end, the trainer comes with a shoe to place the tire in. I bought a stabilizer that would be used for rollers. Rollers are normally used with just the bike balancing on the at speed. I have never tried them. But anyway this thing would normally bolt to the roller trainer. The Neo Tacx trainer allows a bit of side to side motion so I bolted the stabilizer to a 2x6, rigged up a pivot point and used closed foam on each end to allow a bit of play. I was concerned if the front was too stiff in might strain the carbon fork.

The picture below shows the tablet mount, 2 fans on the handlebars and a box fan. The box fan has been replaced with a different one. A bit of advice, fans are not a luxury. The other thing not present in the picture is a sweat protector. Sweat is very corrosive.

This trainer is what is called a direct drive. Other trainers are driven by the tire. The plus of tire driven trainers is they are simpler to mount, the cons is excessive tire wear and slippage for strong riders (not me).

Since I was using a bike frame that I no longer ride, and a direct drive trainer, there was no need for wheels or brakes. In the picture below you can see that I replaced the brake/shifter levers with dummy hoods and bar end shifters.

2 Likes

Yes, I think you are right! I feel similarly about my running, if not for running (and cardio exercise in general), I may not be here today!! It helps improve oxygen intake, insulin sensitivity, BGs, “motion is lotion” keeping one’s muscles limber and pain free, and one’s heath in general!

I like this! I will look for a direct drive trainer. Does this mean that one does not use the shifters when using the trainer, or manually need to change the resistance? Does the workout sw perform all of the shifting for the rider? Sorry for such a basic question!! So for a trainer, all I really need is a compatible bike frame?

Understand!!

Thank you so much for going into detail on this subject and including images. You can tell I am a complete novice but I am starting to get very excited about getting started!

1 Like

Yes, as the resistance increase you need to shift lower to keep cadence up. I like to have my rpm above 60 and as high as 100.

There are both direct drive and tire driven smart trainers. That one I use is quite pricy, but the availability of both types is coming down.

I never could get Peloton. The machine was an overpriced regular dumb stationary bike that required and high priced subscription. I see that the month cost has come down, but I don’ t know really what you get to compare with Zwift or TACX.

Anyway, do what’s necessary to keep yourself moving.

BYW on your knee issues, could it be runner’s knee” which is often tendinitis? There are knee braces that apply pressure just below the knee cap that are helpful. Also it could be a problem with your shoes. I learned a long time ago that a problem with your feet or hips can manifest itself in your knees.

3 Likes

Agreed. I see you take the multiple fan approach. I know others like the “air mover” that jets air at you, but I don’t like the narrow stream they produce. I like to get a shop fan with the most CFM available. It turns my garage into a mild tornado. Loud, so I use noise cancelling earbuds.

2 Likes

Thanks! Okay, so I do need to keep the shifters on the handlebars to maintain the cadence per workout.

Yes, I’m not interested in Peloton. Seems way too pricey. And the monthly subscription just adds to its price!!

I’m not sure what the issue is but it only just started to occur consistently on every run. It sometimes takes me 5 miles before I finally find a comfortable stride for the remaining run which is usually 10+ miles, so the run has gotten to be very stressful as opposed to normal stress reducing! I have had to dramatically shorten my stride, otherwise, a wrong stride sort of feels like my knee cap pops out or reverses??? It doesn’t hurt otherwise, just when this occurs! I was thinking to try a knee brace to help stabilize the knee cap!

Yes, that is the other thought I had - it could be my shoes!!! Traditionally I wear minimalist shoes even for rocky trails. In the past 3 or 4 months I switched to Hoka One shoes with lots of cushion because running on rocky paths started to hurt my feet/bones. I’ve gotten used to the Hoka shoes now and they are quite comfortable but very bulky which may be causing instability and hence, shifting my knee, just a thought! A couple of days ago I ordered 3 new pair of running shoes, and hopefully one of the new pairs will work for me!!

2 Likes

A friend of mine loves his Hola ones. I went to our locally owned running store, which was a great experience. Chris the owner had me walk towards and away from him in my socks.

Then he measured both feet, brought out Hokas, something else and Brooks. He laced me in the Hokas and had me do a little jog around the store. No go for me, knee pain. The same with the other brand. The Brooks were just right.

There is no universal running shoe, there is one perfect for you.

I don’t know if you can find this kind of service. The price of the shoes was the same at Academy which is self-serve.

2 Likes

Yes, we have a local running shop though it is owned by Fleet Feet, the online website. They did measure my feet and checked my arches. The said I had low arches (I assumed I had high arches!), so I bought the low profile Currex insert for my existing Hoka shoes. They seem to help a bit.

Funny, I bought 2 pair of Hoka shoes, different styles from what I am currently using, and the Brooks Cascadia 16. All are supposed to be for trails. Should receive them any day now as they did not have them in stock at the store. The good thing about FleetFeet is that the buyer can actually try out the shoes for up to 60 days, and still return them, even after wearing then outside on trails! So I am hoping one of the 3 will work! It is encouraging to hear that the Brooks worked for you, maybe they will for me, too!

1 Like

While I was trying to figure out why shortening my running stride seems to be the only solution to my knee problem, I came across this interesting article … Don’t Straighten Your Knees While Running or Cycling - Road Bike Rider Cycling Site

The Dr/author recommends not straightening ones knees while running/cycling and instead use a short stride for running and land on the forefoot rather than heel (I’ve also noticed landing on the forefoot helps my knee issue). To increase the the length of one’s stride he recommends running hills (which I already do!) and add fast running, which I cannot do given my knee condition. Adding weights/stretches such as leg presses could also be helpful as long as it is only done on days of fast running.

At least now I know there is a reason why I need to shorten my stride, and others seem to recommend it!!! From researching “knee buckles when use long stride while running”, it looks like it is a common running mistake!

1 Like

This is a great article, It makes perfect sense if one is heel striking with the knee straight that all that energy will attack every bone, tendon and joint from heel to hip. In bicycling one of the most common bone breaks is the clavicle. We need to learn to not put our arm out in a crash but to tuck and roll. With a stiff arm the shock runs straight up the bones to the weakest link, the collarbone.

What I gave as the quick and dirty saddle height adjustment using heel on pedal, that insures when you have your foot correctly on the pedal (not heel) the knee will never be straight, but slightly bent. Both too high and too low is damaging to the knees.

No the big question, can you adjust your life long habit of heel strike? Good luck, I know how you runners are. Not like we cyclists are obsessed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

Q: How many bicycles does a bicyclist need or want?
A: n+1

In this picture of heel on pedal the leg is straight, but you can see the cleat in front of the pedal. Move that foot back and the knee will be bent just slightly. You may be able to continue running, but make sure your bike is correct for when you ride that trail.

3 Likes

I think I changed to a heel strike when I switched to the Hoka shoes! Previously with my minimalist shoes I had a mid-foot or forefoot strike. I think all of that extra cushion in the Hoka and its bulkiness lead me to believe that heel strike was more appropriate! Now that I know what the issue is, I will switch my strike back. Hopefully I didn’t do any permanent damage!

Yes, I was surprised to see cycling requires the same slight bent knee as running. I think that is my natural position on my outside bike. I never had any issues with knees when riding. Thanks for including the pic, link and describing the positioning. Certainly don’t want to get off on the wrong foot in indoor biking!!

I see from reading that many cyclists feel this way!!! Perfectly understandable once “obsessed”!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Jumping in – you both have the technical parts completely covered (!!), but I wanted to give the “peloton perspective.” I’ve been using mine since the pandemic and it seriously got me through the past two years. Love the bike, love the program, drank the Kool-aid. But, it’s definitely pricey and Peloton gets you coming (equipment cost) and going (monthly access fee). If you set yourself up with a trainer, you can pay for only the digital access so that you can use their class programming (which is not only biking, but running, yoga, meditation, and a whole lot more) for under $15/month (I think). Just my 2c and also my best wishes for a quick recovery from your injuries! Jessica

5 Likes

Thanks, @JessicaD. Yes, I know many love the Peloton! It is pricey though. I didn’t know they had classes for other sports. That is great. The subscription isn’t too bad at $15. I’m still looking for a trainer. @CarlosLuis has been very helpful with suggestions, but I haven’t found one yet that supports my old MTB which has a 7-speed cassette. Thanks for your well wishes!

3 Likes

This was my big problem with the Peloton system. When it first rolled out the machine was priced at $1,200USD. Buyers were skeptical, thinking it was nothing special. In a marketing ploy the price was raised to $2,000 with no changes. Sales soared. Later the price was raised another $500. I see now that the basic bike is down to $1,445 which is on par with the original pricing, plus inflation.

Peloton has also reduced the subscription cost on par with subscription apps such as Zwift, TACX and SYSTM (formerly known as Sufferfest).

Peloton and Echelon are very good for those wanting a spin class atmosphere, with Echelon being much more affordable.
Echelon has a new model, the Smart Connect Smart Bike EX5s Bike, that is priced the same as the basic Peloton bike with the advantage of being Zwift and SYSTM compatible as well as Echelon’s subscription.

Sorry to go on so long. I am so glad that you were served well during the worst of Covid with your bike and Peloton. :grinning:

The important thing is to do what gets you moving.

4 Likes