Indoor exercise equipment

Just an update here for anyone that is following… I called my local bike shop and they said I could bring my bike in for a test setup with a trainer to see if I like it so I plan to do that this weekend. Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice!!! And yes, I agree, @CarlosLuis, the important thing is to keep moving one way or another!!!

6 Likes

Finally got the Saris H3 bike trainer set up with my old mountain bike. The Saris Utility app has workouts based on just power, such as 50 Watts, …, 250 Watts, and just displays basics like Cadence and Watts. That is working but I think I need to decide on a bike app, like Zwift or Rouvy, or maybe Wahoo RGT??? I’d like to pair it with my Apple Watch, too, so that my workouts will be saved in Apple Health. Maybe that isn’t supported though.

3 Likes

What did you have to do to get the Saris to work with a7 speed cassette? I didn’t think it would be a problem but was concerned.

As to apps I like Zwift for the multitude of routes. There’s lots of training workouts, but I like to ride mostly and do some intervals.

It is a game where you gain points that can be spent on better bikes and wheels.

I wanted to post titanium geek’s unofficial Zwift user guide but it won’t load. That’s too bad because it was excellently done. This link to a Bike Radar site explains a bit.

2 Likes

I brought it to the local bike shop!! I took your advice and bought a separate 7 speed cassette, one that would be compatible to my bike. Then the shop had to add the right spacers to it so that it would shift smoothly on the trainer. So far so good! Thank you so much for all of your advice!!

Zwift sounds good. I found mention of the Titanium Geek here: The Secret Zwift User Manual | Zwift Insider

I installed Rouvvy on my mini ipad as a trial subscription. I only did the tutorial so far. Pretty straight forward. I’d like to connect it to a larger screen. Also it doesn’t integrate with Apple Health. I can initiate an Indoor Cycle workout on my Apple Watch though as a separate workout. It only captures HR, Active Calories, and Workout Time, Start, End. It doesn’t capture the stats provided by Rouvy, such as distance. That is not a big issue for me though. I just want my workout time registered in Nightscout and Tidepool to overlay my BG and pump data which my Apple Watch does for running, outdoor cycling, walking workouts. This helps to see how exercise effects BGs.

I may try Zwift, too, as it looks fun. My local shop expert biker also uses Zwift!

1 Like

That’s it, I couldn’t get it to load. Imagine that it works now.
I was 99.9% sure that all was needed was the additiona 4 or 4.5mm spacer with the 8 speed spacer, but there was that nagging 0.1% of doubt.

1 Like

He went through quite a few spacers before he got it to fit and shift smoothly. I would never have been able to do it!!

1 Like

Even though I do most of my bicycle repair and maintenance, I have a good relationship with the wrenches (mechanics) at my local shop. I put a couple of 6 packs of their favorite beer in the shop fridge now and then. See if you can do something nice for this person who fixed you up. :grinning:

2 Likes

Great idea! Thanks, I will!!

2 Likes

I have a NordicTrack elliptical and I love it. It gets my heart rate up much more than the bike (which I also had, but gifted to my park). I also have a knee issue, which is essentially described as “knee cap pain” (I can’t remember the medical term). I can’t run without pain, so I don’t. Only thing I’d change about my elliptical is that it uses 4 DD batteries. They are a bitch to keep paying for and replacing, not to mention bad for the environment.

2 Likes

What model is your Nordic Track Elliptical? There are A/C to 6 VDC 2AMP units for several Nordic Track bikes, treadmills and ellipticals. The display would have a jack for plugging in the adaptor.

This link to Amazon is for an adaptor for several models, not necessarily yours.
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Nordictrack-Elliptical-Audiostrider-Treadmill/dp/B0080792P4

3 Likes

@Trying @CarlosLuis I feel a little like I’m in The Truman Show… my television streaming service is now showing me ads for Zwift! Looks like a cool setup! @Trying if you are able to stream other sites and want to try the peloton app, I can send you a code for 2 months free (I have no affiliation, just like a lot of their programming).

2 Likes

I have nothing to do with that. :rofl:

2 Likes

Wow, thank you!!! Yes, I’d like to try it. I know you said it also has other workouts, like yoga, etc., which is nice!

Right now I’m using Rouvy, a free 45-day trial. I will probably try out the free trial for Zwift, too, which my Saris H3 trainer came with as well. So lots of trial subscriptions before I make up my mind!! So far I like Rouvy with their augmented reality. Configuration was a lot easier than I expected. Just install on my iPad and mirror it to a larger display. One minor, missing feature is I cannot capture the AV route with my Apple Watch as a Workout. Maybe Zwift or Peloton apps have better Apple integration.

It has been so nice out this past weekend, and today, that I have not really needed to use the trainer! I wanted to take advantage of the gorgeous weather riding outdoors while it lasts!!!

2 Likes

I used to have a Nordic Ski machine. It was great and also had the stepper. It started bruising my abdomen though so I had to give it up as an indoor cardio workout. The elliptical sounds great, too, esp for the knees. I decided to go with a bike trainer since it takes up less space inside and I can easily remove the bike for outdoor riding, or if I need the indoor space temporarily!!

1 Like

I’m sad to say that Apple doesn’t play nice with others. I use my watch for walking and strength workouts saving them to Strava. My cycling ride s go directly to Strava. Rouvy can go to Strava as well from what I’ve read.

Basic Strava is free.

Edit- while Zwift saves directly to Strava, Apple saves to a notification in Strava that you have to click on. An extra step probably to get around Apple’s odd requirements.

2 Likes

Interesting! I don’t have Strava. I will look at installing it and see if I can get more data saved to Apple Health. Yes, Apple has some “odd” requirements :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Trying I will send the code to you via message here – so fun that you have so much to try and definitely hold off on going indoors as long as you can! I am extending tennis play outdoors for as long as I can and did a ten minute COLD PLUNGE in a local pond this weekend! (I’m in Boston)

It does appear that apple and peloton talk to each other. I can “see” my workouts, at least my workout minutes and the type of workout I’ve done (yoga, meditation, bike, walk, weights, etc) on my watch. I do not track this stuff closely, though, so am not sure it will capture everything you’re looking for. My husband is a Strava superuser and is not impressed with the Apple Watch information capture. I’ll look forward to hearing what you think!

2 Likes

Thank you! I received your DM. Wow, you are brave!! But I bet it felt WONDERFUL and great for your muscles!!! I’m not sure if you’ve heard of Minnewaska State Park in NY near New Paltz, but that’s where I was on Saturday. Post peak now but still gorgeous with beautiful lakes and carriage roads as well as trails.

That’s good to know that the Apple Watch picks up the Peloton workouts. I think that is better than what Rouvy does. I may not get to the Peloton trial right away since I still have a month plus with the Rouvy trial subscription and want to make sure I try everything I can during the trial. I’m definitely going to look into the Strava app, too.

4 Likes

WOW - that looks so beautiful!! (Could be an incredible cold plunge?!)

3 Likes

@Trying I just found this method of syncing Zwift to Apple Watch. I did not try it because I have other more complete and less complicated ways to see my workout data.

On another note, Apple Watch will record time,calories,speed, elevation, heart rate and distance when using the outdoor bike workout. The indoor bike workout just does time, calories, and heart rate.

As to Strava, I think this image of a recent Zwift ride shows the data that you get with the free app. I do have a payed subscription, but they have levels for more moola. I believe the free app will also show heart rate.

1 Like