The best 24 hours in several months

I have been having difficulty getting a reasonable time in range since surgery. My first problem was the SGLT2 inhibitor I was on. These drugs lower the kidneys glucose threshold causing high glucose in urine.

As I don’t have a bladder anymore the kidney irethers are connected to an ileum conduit made from a piece of small intestine.

This created a positive feedback loop. Glucose rich urine in the conduit will allow glucose to be transported back into the bloodstream. My pump or me would do corrections. The upshot is my BG was on a constant roller coaster.

After I figured that out and stopped the Farxiga it got better but not my past normal.

I would get big spikes about 3 hours postprandial that were very slow to respond to corrections. With those spikes my urine was probably glucose rich still causing a loop.

Maybe I’m getting a handle on it. I was eating a lot more food to prevent weight loss, well, I’ve gained about 8 lbs. I am reducing calories.

Here’s the Dexcom trace for the last 24 hours. The postprandial spikes are 140mg/dl and go down like they should.

Off topic I got a nice ride on the gravel bike. 12.4 miles in 70 minutes, not fast just cruising along looking at the trees and branches down from Beryl.
IMG_2008

I stopped to eat since BG dropped to 70.

16 Likes

@CarlosLuis it look like you’re on top of it :grin: yes the bike too :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s good to be on top of the bike. I’ve been on my back with a bike on top.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
The 1st time I was 13 on a friend’s Dad’s bike. I don’t know how heavy this monster weighed, but it was heavy.

We were in a Montgomery Wards parking lot that had a patch of gravel on the paving. We were having great fun going through the gravel fast and locking up the coaster brakes to skid artfully. Well one time didn’t work for me. I found myself staring at the sky through that monster of a bike with stones poking in my back.

Boys, how did we ever survive to breed?

5 Likes

:rofl: I don’t know how I survived the things on bikes we use to do, let alone motorcycles…

Important safety tip don’t watch the girls on the sidewalk when you are about to bunny-hop the curb :grin: for sure you will short hop it hit the curb with your front wheel to endo hard & plant your shoulder into the cement in front of the girls. :joy: stupid me I could have milked it into a date but too embarrassed I got up, wiped the blood off my shoulder & slipped away… another time not paying attention I hit the back of a parked car to go completely over it to land on the hood.

I spent a lot of time on bicycles when I was growing up just about every weekend we would ride to the beach and back about 50 miles round trip plus the ride at the beach.

I just reached down to feel my shins. Yep the divots are still predominant. I took off my rubber petals & replaced them with spiked metals one. The steel petals would roll back & hit my shins. Yep my shins still have the scars.

Don’t even get me started on motorcycles. My friend & I were drag racing in a sand storm in the Desert. He told me his Ossa was faster then my Husqvarna I guess he was right he hit our other friends Dune Buggy on the front spinning it so I hit it on the left rear. I was wearing the first plastic motocross boots, Henkels they took a 1/4" gouge along my foot from the buggy’s steel skid plate. The boots saved my foot. LOL we both got up & walked away from it (painful night)

forgot-HECKELS

I thank the Lord I have been looked out for all of my life but you know what & you don’t know hardly any of the story. I would do it all again. :grin:

5 Likes

Nice work @CarlosLuis !

BTW, when I was a boy, I used to build ramps and jump stuff with my bike. It was ridiculous.

When I got a bit older, as a teenager, I got a 10-speed bike to take the place of the dirt bike.

And of course you a) can’t really jump a 10-speed very well, and b) can’t go back to a dirt bike once you are a teenager (at least back then, dirt bikes were for little kids, 10-speeds were for big boys).

So the bike jumping ended.

But then I got a skateboard…

4 Likes

My brother had a skateboard and then got a 10 speed. I inherited his first bike which was a very heavy duty bike, then I got a girls 3 speed at about 10ish? I was allowed back then to ride anywhere I could. 10 miles to the grocery store, no problem. And yes, there was traffic and larger roads once I left the residential area. My lesson learned, I was always a clutz. Don’t try to ride hands free and don’t go around corners not paying attention to the pool of water you are going through. Advantageously my oldest sister was studying to be a nurse.

@CarlosLuis It sounds like you are working hard to try to figure it out!

4 Likes

Oh Yes! We use to wait until trash day so we could get empty trash cans to jump. We never built a ramp that would make our jumps high so we had to lay the cans on the sides. We kept adding cans to see how far we could jump & usually the last can would get pretty crushed :grin:

Yes, Yes, was it a paperboy bike? I had one of those. Got that after I was little bigger & the 20" Stingray was getting awkward to ride. The bikes I liked best had to have coaster brakes. Never got use to riding wheelies with hand brakes. I use to ride my bike to middle school about 2 miles away. From my driveway to the school gate my front wheel never touched the ground. Street had to much traffic to cross I would just turn right then turn left to get back on track.

Wheelies were King :crown:
now I have bad balance just getting up outta the seat :joy:

2 Likes

Never tried it with a bike…but remember Flexi’s? Looks like a sled with four small 4” or so wheels? Or homemade skate boards? We lived in a hilly area of Chula Vista (Northern Tijuana) and SCREAMED down the streets…yes, the streets, whok uses sidewalks?! Who’s afraid of cars?! Can’t agree more, what we did as kids…no elbow protectors, no helmets, no jackets…wear those bruises and road rash with pride! Its a wonder we survived!!!

5 Likes

I don’t do anything crazy but most people think that I ride at 74 is insane🤪 Got 32 miles on the road bike this morning. Started out with the group but finished solo.

7 Likes

@CarlosLuis are those miles counting towards the diabetic bike ride?

Wasn’t there a hill in CV that was called gravity hill? Maybe that was Encanto anyway balls would roll up the hill :crazy_face: now that is crazy :grin:

3 Likes

I don’t recall one in CV by that name, but I recall Nacion Ave going down to L St was pretty steep though it didn’t hold a candle to a hill on in Spring Valley (Route 53). I don’t recall the name, but as you approached the drop off at the top, you’d swear there wasn’t a road on the other side, just a drop off that went down like 100’ or so. SD had its share in Point Loma and a few up in La Jolla. Here’s some YouTube vids of biking SD hills: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/IPIPDzjAzSE

2 Likes

Our group leader Bill is cycling in Colorado. He climbed 9,000’ yesterday with his speed in single digits.

My rides are always diabetic rides because they are done by a diabetic.:star_struck::syringe::man_biking: me.

6 Likes

I did set myself up for that one :grin: even heard the drum roll as I was reading :joy:

4 Likes
3 Likes

@SobeiT I’ve not got a clue what brand of bike it was. I just know it wasn’t a Schwinn as my parents didn’t like them. But it had what you called the coaster brakes. Brakes you applied backward pressure to stop. That bike was around for years. My sister used the same training wheels I learned on to teach her kids how to ride.

4 Likes

All I had as a kid were Husky bikes. Most of them hand me downs from my older brothers.

4 Likes

Saved my paper route and 4-H money and bought a Schwinn for my 9th birthday. It was sooo heavy. No carbon fiber then…lol.

3 Likes

Duh! I’m slow on the uptake, the Virtual Tour de Cure rides is Saturday September 14.

3 Likes

So you got yours because you were a working man :grin:

@Marie Mine was a Schwinn too. I got that paperboy bike in 1975 I got it for a Wheelie riding Beach Cruiser. To be honest the earlier paperboy bikes were much, much heavier. Mine was probably at the time Schwinn started making them over seas from thinner metals & cheaper parts. Mine served it’s purpose being geared down I could ride wheelie along side of people walking.

Everyone needs a little training leading up to the main event. :joy:

4 Likes

@SobeiT Hmmm, I don’t think a wheelie for any length of time could have been done easily on the older bike. Kids manage to do all sorts of things lol, so you never know. It really was a very heavy bike.

It actually reminds me more of a look of the 50’s bikes than 60’s. And the 3 speed and his new 10 speed we got around 1965-67 definitely looked more like modern bikes. That first bike had thicker tires, a thicker bar, maybe cylinder that was straight from the seat to the handlebars. It was a pain for me to get on and off of it when I was younger!

It does come to mind that I was a kid and it is many years later so my memory might be a little warped lol!

3 Likes