Xdrip + Smartwatch collectors

I’ve been using X trip with my Samsung S7 phone for quite a while and I love it. I’ve seen the new Samsung gear s3 Frontier on sale recently and I’d love to use it as a collector instead of my phone. From what I’ve gathered i don’t believe it will work without the phone. Am i correct?

2 Likes

Oh well. Never mind.

@Osoblu, my understanding is that the only Android Wear watch you can use that way is the Sony Smartwatch 3, which is not sold by Sony any more but may be found reasonably easily.

@docslotnick, is my knowledge on this out of date? I got it all from you :slight_smile:

@Osoblu You can patch other watches to use xDrip+. There are about 6 of them to choose from.

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/wiki/Patching-Android-Wear-devices-for-use-with-the-G5

They require flashing a new ROM onto the watch, and instructions are given. The only watch to work out of the box is the Sony SW3.

1 Like

Thank you both for your info. I may wait till the sw4 is released.

@Osoblu. Unfortunately the SW4 is nothing more than vapor ware. It seems that Sony is not in the watch business anymore.

2 Likes

Hi Docslotnick,

thanks for this information. Did I get this right:
When I patch the ROM of the watches in the list, I can use them as collector without the smartphone?

I use the freestyle libre, the miaomiao reader and xdrip on a Samsung A3. I’d prefer to use a smartwatch instead, because I do noch like to be with my cell phone all the time, especially at night and doing sports. Also, when the smartphone is in another room, the batteries are empty too quickly.

Best Regards
Erik

1 Like

@Erik. Yes, that is the purpose of patching the watch. The watch can be used as a collector after applying the patch.

From reading other forums and by piecing together bits of information, I believe the reason Wear OS watches have trouble reading the Dexcom sensors is because of Bluetooth security.

Someone told me that the MiaoMiao has no such built in security and is more likely to work on more Wear OS watches without patching the Bluetooth…

I don’t have a MiaoMiao or Libre to test with as I use the G6.

However, if the aforementioned “someone” is correct, I’d be inclined to switch to the Libre. I’d love to be able to use my watch as a standalone collector and be able to pick a watch that has an ATM3 or better waterproof rating. I believe even the Sony is only IP68.

@HeyGar Hi HeyGar, welcome to FUD.

I don’t think you will find a watch other than the Sony Smartwatch 3 that will natively receive a CGM signal. As you say, other watches can be patched to recieve the signal, but if you can have another watch receive the signal from a MiaoMiao, a lot of people would like to hear about it.

I don’t know w the water proofing level of watches, but you should look at the watches that can be patched to work.
I understand they also work with G6.

Hi,
Does anyone know if I can use a Garmin Vivoactive 3 smartwatch as a standalone to receive xdrip (miaomiao) without a phone or if I must have my phone with me for it to work?
Thanks

Hi @DavidC. Welcome to FUD!

Unfortunately, you can’t use a non-Android Wear watch as a collector.

A list of Android watches that can 've modified is found here .

There are a few others that have been reported to work right out of the box, but they are all Android Wear watches.

You can install “apps” that will allow the Garmin watch to display Bg.

Ok. Thank you.
So can you tell me which android wear watches do work straight out the box and without the phone as the gateway?

I heard that all of the fitbit watches do.

Thanks again.

Sorry I meant the ticwatches.

I’m sorry, but really the only watch I’m familiar with working out of the box is the Sony Smartwatch 3. I know there are other more recent watches that have been reported to work but I don’t know exactly which ones.

@elver I believe has mentioned success with a newer watch.

Unfortunately it seems too early for watches to work as stand alone collectors…I have the ticwatch pro 4g, and it rarely works as a stand alone… I am currently using the us 14 day and miaomiao2 and often leave my phone on a charger…the watch doesn’t work as a standalone unless I turn it off, on even then, maybe or occasionally, and that’s a watch that has 1gb of ram…the 1st generation Sony sw3 watch worked as an NFC collector, all others did not work without modding and was only popular because it was before the blucon and miao miao… almost like looking for a 2001 car because it was the 1st to have Bluetooth in it

@RogerType1 The SSW3 is not an NFC collector, it is a BLE collector that connects to the transmitter like a phone or receiver does. And it also works quite well with the miao miao 2 on the 14 day Libre sensor.

It’s not the prettiest or most functional watch, but it works well for this purpose.

1 Like

I bought one before buying the blucon because it could work as an NFC collector…I thought that was what everyone was talking about…I returned it because it didn’t work without flashing/modding…it still seems too early for watch collectors… watches usually have 512 mb of memory, most android phones now have 6gb-12gb of ram which is why they work

@RogerType1 You can use the SSW3 as a BLE collector, as I have for the past 2 years. You may even be able to use it as an NFC collector, I’m not sure.

But it definitely is not too early for a watch to be used as a collector. It just needs to be the right watch.

A watch as a stand alone collector where your phone is no where near you…I’ve never had any luck with this…I always see my glucose level with a line in it…it should work, but I’ve never seen it work.