What Can't You Eat?

I was never able to handle foods like cereal, pasta, or bread without spiking, though I ate these for years until I got a CGM and fuond that I was spiking to 15 mmol/L after literally every meal (but coming down by two hours). I used to be able to eat about 80-100 grams of carbohydrates per day, pre-bolus by 30-60 minutes, and have great control. But then I developed Graves’ disease, and for some reason ever since then I’ve been unable to handle any meal larger than about 15-20 grams of low-GI foods without huge spikes. I’m not sure why, but something has definitely changed physiologically in my body to make control around carbohydrates even harder than it used to be.

Which bars are those? Would be good for x-c skiing snacks! :skier:

Cliff bars are great.

http://www.clifbar.com/products/clif/clif-bar?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmITRBRCSARIsAEOZmr5wTMhM0Czx4o-8Ie4FuwD4HBrCU3lV3Je2xnhGO7xVblAHDkVv0NMaAqhKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

@CatLady

Edit. Just realized I put the DETOUR bar in twice and forgot the KIND bar. Obviously they come in various flavors.

I find that if I ferment the grapes for a month and then store in bottles to further age them it helps reduce the BG rise. In fact it usually does such a good job that I do not take insulin for fermented grapes. :wine_glass:

6 Likes

Mmmmm… Clif bars.

I used to use these (use these? - I guess food is a medication) on long hikes to keep the energy up and to offset the basal when I was on MDI.

They are good.

1 Like

This is true. I had some of those fermented grapes just last night…

3 Likes

White rice

1 Like

First, welcome @Pates. Glad you found us. It must be quite a challenge for you and your family with the three of you T1.

I think white rice is akin to poison for just about any T1. I have never been able to maintain control and eat white rice.

I know @Michel has posted a couple of rice recipes that work well. Lol in the “Food” category for those threads.

2 Likes

not only must i bolus for fat and protein (24/7) , anything i even look at food-wise before 11am i have to do a heavy bolus for. my ICR from 6am till 10am is 1:6. then from 11am till 12am is around 1:12. (just to give you an idea of how sensitive i am in the AM)

all that fat and protein and carbs would have sent me to the moon :wink:

@daisymae

Nice to see you back.

:slight_smile:

I am trying to remember. Are you on pump or MDI. If on pump, I am curious what your Duration of Insulin Action (DIA) is configured for? Different pumps have different names for the concept of how long it takes for the pump to “count down” the IOB until the pump considers it all to be gone.

The reason I ask is we had similar settings to what you describe but I believe our DIA was artificially short at 3 hrs. So, at lunch time, there was often still insulin kicking around and we are unknowingly compensating for this with an I:C ratio at lunch time that was giving less insulin.

We bumped the DIA up to 4-1/2 hrs and then found the lunchtime I:C could be adjusted to be more similar to the breakfast ratio. (Not exact but closer.)

Obviously everybody is different but figured I would at least mention it to you.

I have my pump set for a 4 hour duration time. I have it set to alarm 2.5 hours post bolus, during which time I will test my BG. This has always worked well for me. Don’t know how accurate it is but I think it’s close. At least it’s worked for me. I use the Medtronic Paradym pump. I have used Medtronic for 17 years and am a very satisfied customer :grin:.

I was surprised by the great difference in my morning ICR and mine for the rest of the day, but it works well. My last A1c was 5.5%. And that was taken 2 weeks ago. My general BGS run around 80 - 120.

Well I wouldn’t say there is anything my son can’t eat, but sugary cereal doesn’t seem worth the trouble. And we’ve never tried non-diet soda, which is the literal definition of empty calories.
My guess is if we just carpet bombed the stuff with insulin we could keep him in range, but why? Its’ total junk and it’s hard enough to get them to have healthy eating habits.

There are plenty of other foods he’s never really had – like those grotesque Otis Spunkmeyer muffins that have 74 g of fat and half your day’s worth of calories – but I don’t know that it’s because he can’t eat them. I guess at some point we should figure out if he can eat them just so there’s a strategy in place. I know that whenever I go to meetings and conferences, mystery danishes of that type are often all that’s placed out, so it would be useful to know how to bolus for things like that when that’s the only game in town.

Also, scrambled eggs for breakfast. Haven’t figured that one out, but also gave up pretty early because my son hates eggs.

3 Likes

That is funny - the scrambled eggs part. Those are our “go to” food when the BG is out of control and we need the easiest possible food.
1 unit per (jumbo) egg extended over 3 hrs.
(Obviously our I:C ratio)

Because it tastes good and is fun to eat or drink sometimes?

Junk food is kind of like cigarettes to a lot of kids–forbidden fruit. If they are allowed to experience it then they won’t likely overdo it.

Example: I smoked half a cigarette when I was 12 years old, and it was so disgusting that I haven’t smoked one since. But if I had been actively kept away from them until I was 18, who knows?

3 Likes

Young Doc, caught in the act:

3 Likes

Geez, @Eric. Where the heck did you find that? I thought I had destroyed the negative before my Dad was able to see it.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

eh, if we were actively preventing them from eating these foods all the time, that would be one thing. But we buy food and it’s just not around (even amongst their friends), so I don’t think it’s creating a forbidden fruit situation.

1 Like

Cut them up first or else they freeze and become impossible to bite! I also like picky bars.

I like pretzel bites for xc skiing. Sometimes cheese cut up into blocks if I’m going to be out for a while. Or the gu blocks sometimes (also use to treat lows sometimes). I drink tailwind so I’d rather have savory snacks.