What Can't You Eat?

100% agree. I miss cereal more than most other sugary things, and it’s not like I even ate sugary cereals all the time.

We need to get you a real good low sometime! :crazy_face:

1 Like

:rofl:

I’m remembering a certain pic of a partially devoured chocolate cake…

2 Likes

I could literally eat every meal as cereal and not get sick of it. I don’t know what it is about it. It’s the one thing I seriously miss on a carb-restricted diet. Every now and then I cave and do end up eating cereal, and I usually regret it after the giant glucose spike.

Apparently there are some low-carb cereals appearing (like KNOW Foods), but so far they only ship to the U.S.

Man, if only you knew some fellow diabetics in the U.S. who could ship you some…:thinking:

:smiley:

1 Like

You may be able to find such things listed by third party sellers on eBay.

Seriously @Jen, if you ever need anything from the U.S., there are a 100 people on this site who would gladly help you out.

1 Like

I volunteer to smuggle them across the border.

3 Likes

I would gladly trade boxes of US cereal for real Canadian maple syrup!!! :slight_smile:

I’m glad we are having a real conversation at FUD about things that just don’t work for people. It sucks, but better to identify it and move on. @docslotnick I’m sorry you had a rough day. It seems like you’re not alone with malfunctioning foods lately, and I wonder if there’s a link to the change of seasons/light levels or if winter makes humans crave comfort foods more, and so we are discussing the related BG issues more.

Cereal is a problem for EH. Eggnog lately, even as a low recovery. (Although a friend pointed out that even when shaken, it’s possible that the sugar settled down to the bottom of the jug, thus making for the eggnog roller coaster we’ve recently experienced.) Breads or large rolls seem to be problematic but we rarely eat them, so I think figuring out the bolus for it is something we are out of practice on. Grapes are pretty hard too. And french fries are generally a disaster. Like five french fries will push up EH’s BG by a lot.

1 Like

I find an extended bolus works pretty well with cereal, though I don’t eat it often, I never eat it for breakfast, and I don’t eat the overly sugared commercial brands, if that makes any difference.

Eggnog is a beast, and I look forward to tackling it this year. I wish it was available year-round, because it’s so good at treating lows.

A tablespoon of real maple syrup is a tasty way to treat a low!

1 Like

That’s when Afrezza can usually help me, thank goodness.

Oh, grapes… sigh those are even worse than bananas, which I have started using sometimes for mild lows (I dose insulin with it). I should test grapes for lows; I miss them!

And mangoes…sigh…

Mmmmm, I’ve still done mangoes - ha, a meal I discovered over the summer was jerk chicken over rice with a mango avocado salsa and black beans…so good. So many carbs. I was already using Afrezza, though, so that helped.

I have been mulling this over and am wondering whether pre-bolusing (and also over-bolusing!) would have kept you out of the weeds. Since insulin gets to work so slowly, I now am more willing to pre-bolus 20 minutes coming out of a low. Lol, it’s @Eric’s fault for introducing this approach on another thread!

I actually had a breakfast croissant spike the same day as you did when I met a friend at the local bakery for coffee and gave in to the pastry impulse. I had some IOB from a correction dose but didn’t pre-bolus and wait to eat like I usually do. Nasty spike ensued followed by heavy housework in lieu of more insulin. :scream_cat:

1 Like

In retrospect that may have done the trick. But the last time I had a breakfast sandwich (Egg McMuffin) about a year ago I didn’t even bolus for it, and it caused no spike!

So I was a bit reticent to prebolus at 68 until I saw an uptick in my Bg.

20 units seemed about right to cover the 60g carbs and have my Bg end up at 100.
Boy, was I wrong!

2 Likes

More mulling…

For insulin users, it’s all about planning, portion control and timing, other circumstances such as health, exercise, etc. What’s truly off “the list” in my D-life is…spontaneity. That’s what I struggle with still.

3 Likes

Some things yes - some things no.

For example, we have found that some bars can be eaten and insulin delivered at the time of first bite and it all levels out like magic. On the other hand, different types of bars would turn the cgm graph into a yo-yo doing the same thing.

So, I just ordered more of the bars that allow to be eaten with no advance warning. Not surprising, these are high protein / high fat / low carb (gluten free of course).