Forgotten bolus - argh!

I used to forget boluses on a fairly regular basis before I got a CGM. But it’s been quite a long time since I’ve forgotten one, especially since must of the past few years has been eating low-carb.

I’m currently burned out (not being able to eat eggs has done a serious number on my happy low-carb routine) so am not eating low-carb. This morning when I went to bolus for breakfast my pump alarmed that it didn’t have enough insulin. So I changed cartridges and then ate breakfast.

Realized on the way to work that I was feeling high. Nothing will ruin reveling in a 24-hour almost flatline (minus two fairly severe lows) like testing to find you’re 19.1 mmol/L (343 mg/dl). Checked IOB to find nothing except the small one-unit correction I’d given before getting out of bed for waking up at 7.1 mmol/L (127 mg/dl).

About 13 units and two hours later I’m down to 13.3 mmol/L (239 mg/dl).

Ugh. One of many advantages (to me) of low-carb: forgetting a bolus would result in a high of maybe 11 mmol/L (200 mg/dl) that could be brought down in about an hour. None of this battling all morning nonsense.

7 Likes

Anything that takes us out of the normal routine, right?

Like I can bolus before meals every single time, but if it is something out of the ordinary - like maybe being very low and thinking I should bolus after the meal instead of before - and just that little change in the normal routine can potentially mess you up, right?

3 Likes

@Jen, I hate that for you. I that for me, too, when I do it. We all do it.

2 Likes

You said it.

@Jen I missed on the other morning. I think I had all four of my kids making noise and my wife was talking to me while I was carb counting and punching the carbs and insulin dose into my phone. Then I forgot to punch the insulin dose into the pump…

3 Likes

I feel for you. Twice last week I walked out of the house without taking my Tresiba or my other meds. Thank the Lord that my wife noticed and texted me to come back and take everything.

2 Likes

But see, that’s normal for me. I might miss it if everything was quiet.
:grinning:

2 Likes