Personal reminder

We’ve gotten so used to such finely regulated BGs, it’s times like these that I am reminded that Liam does indeed have T1D. What you see in the below image is the last 24 hours and most significantly, what’s going on right now. What’s going on you ask? Oh, i just got Liam’s dinner and forgot to enter, or have him enter the carbs for it. I then fell asleep momentarily (long day) and woke up to a high alarm and realized what i had forgotten to do. The carbs were entered and bolus given but he’ll probably see the never fun “HIGH” before he goes back down… Haven’t seen that in probably 3 or 4 years.

Just a reality check i guess. Every meal is important to do everything right for.

9 Likes

Oh, sorry, I know you do everything right but D takes a toll and there is no vacation from it. Wish there was but this sort of thing happens to all of us. Thank goodness you heard the alarm and took action! Thanks for the reminder!

8 Likes

The fact that you haven’t seen that in 3/4 years is both a testament to how far diabetes treatments have come and how diligent you are as a family. A win all around if you ask me.

12 Likes

The tools are there for precision management. But it’s like anything…“crap in, crap out.”. Lol.

6 Likes

Ah, the old “forgotten bolus”! :open_mouth:

It happens!

It’s actually much easier with a pump. You can go back and check if you bolused. With MDI there were times when I couldn’t remember and was like, “Crap, did I take my insulin or not?!?” :man_facepalming:

10 Likes

Atleast it was a quick recovery.

10 Likes

How much insulin did that require? And at that time of night, what was your strategy for not repeatedly going low after bringing the number back?

2 Likes

Just bolused him the amount loop recommended for the carbs he ate. I forget how much but probably 3 units or so. On the way back down he was given two glucose tabs and he leveled out. See below.

The arrow is the flattening of BGs after being high. Then there was a sensor error (red circle) that I slept through from 0430 to almost 0630. When I checked his BGs and got loop working again, his BGs were fortunately not sky high again…they were a smooth 120.

6 Likes

We’ve been seeing a lot of HIGH lately, with site failures. Last one was last week. I’m very impressed that it’s been so long for y’all.
But it’s a good reminder that whenever you get used to things going smoothly, something reminds you that diabetes is always in the background, waiting to rear up if you let something slip.

Samson is with his grandparents right now, who do a good job of preventing lows, but seeing all the prolonged highs on Dexcom is killing me. It’s frustrating that blood sugar management requires so much knowledge and vigilance.

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s the real reason for this post is just this…even if you have things running smoothly, it’s ONLY because you’re constantly on guard and doing stuff EVEN IF you don’t realize you’re doing all that much stuff. As soon as you fail to do all the stuff you’re used to doing (even if subconsciously and/or in a robot/zombie state), D reminds you that you need to keep doing that stuff. lol

Hopefully you guys turn that curve soon and stop getting all those nasty failures.

8 Likes

These moments are so familiar. There are days I hardly need any insulin to keep my BG down and I’m wondering whether I even have diabetes at all. But then the next day or a week later some kind of mishap does confirm that I didn’t get cured miraculously. Too bad.

7 Likes

I’m sure glad to hear other’s say it! I thought it was just my age taking hold…

3 Likes

Here is a little trick I did tonight, that I use sometimes.

In general, I am in the habit of taking my insulin right before I eat. By always doing it in the same way, I am in that habit and rarely forget.

Sometimes when I am low, I don’t want to do that. So in those instances, I still take it right before I eat, but I will do an extended bolus. I take zero now, and extend it over 30 minutes.

That way, I don’t forget. (Like if I were to wait until I was finished eating, I might totally forget.) And I also don’t get too much insulin while low, like if I were to take it all before the meal.

7 Likes

I’m impressed with the recovery! I’d need a ton of extra insulin and it would take many hours to get it to budge!

8 Likes

I used to forget all the time @Eric !! And then I bought a couple of devices to go onto my Novopen 4’s called insulcheck. They chew through the battery, but it’s been made apparent that they are a good investment for me. Unfortunately, you can’t buy anything newer than the NP4 here in Australia, otherwise I would have loved an Echo or a Novopen 5 as I think they also give you the time since last injection.

2 Likes