Good morning Liam,

Remember me? I’m Mr. 300+. We used to be such good friends but you’ve decided lately to ignore me…cast me aside like a used toy. Well, I woke up this morning and decided that I would make you think of me again. I hope you enjoy me, relish me and never let me go.

Sincerely, your “high” friend,
Mr. 300+

1 Like

Oh dear goodness!! Hope that resolves quickly!

2 Likes

I thought of this song this morning when he went above 300…one of my favorite songs ever.

Hello Darkness my old friend (The Sound of Silence) - Disturbed

If you like it from another voice, you can listen to it from Todd Hoffman (Goldrush actor)…he sounds great too although I don’t think he’s that great of a miner. :smiley:

Todd Hoffman

I plan on doing a version of the song sometime…such a beautiful song.

2 Likes

Hey Mr. 300,
Remember me? I am your mortal enemy, Mr. Insulin. And I will kick your ass anytime you show up and mess with my good buddy Liam.

You are nothing but a fleeting ghost. Gone in a short time. But I am always here to help.

Mr. Insulin

7 Likes

@ClaudnDaye Was that just out of the blue, or was there a carb correction for the immediately previous low?

Maybe Liam and I were riding the same rollercoaster this morning.

1 Like

He wasn’t actually low so no correction was given - the CGM (for us) is often wrong. It was a typical morning. Normal bolus method, usual breakfast, nothing out of the ordinary. Sometimes Mr. 300+ just comes to visit. He’s back down to 243 atm – I bolused the crap out of him…stacking doesn’t phase me anymore (when he’s awake). I just give him correction when he gets around 150 and he lands smoothly. Most breakfasts he doesn’t go much above 200 these days, but some days he just gets smacked. Mr. 300+ just misses him and wants to be his friend I guess.

5 Likes

After two additional “micro-boluses” of .30, he finally came down. PDM indicated at his highest he ended up being only 289. He came down and landed softly and is now 112.

5 Likes

A thing of beauty… :sunny:

3 Likes

Oh, what a beautiful landing!

2 Likes

Earlier this morning I was posting about how happiness does not need much: this is another good cause of happiness for me – a great landing from a peak!

2 Likes

I have found that “fear” causes me, as a caregiver, to have bad BG’s. This is not a problem or concern for me anymore, but there were months where I was just “too afraid” to “over bolus”…these days, I’ll bolus the crap out of Liam…as I did this morning. Two .30 micro-boluses. Why? Because, at least when he’s awake…for me…taking care of a BG on the down-trend is so much easier than managing a high. I want to avoid highs at all costs with Liam because once he’s high, often times, it’s so hard (and takes so long) to bring him back down. So my strategy is…as soon as I see 140’s double arrows up…start micro-bolusing him… .30 at a time. Then if he hits 200, I do another .30. And I just keep .30’ing away until he slows down and starts coming back down. Then on the down-trend, I give him a snack around 150 - 160 “double arrows down”.

For his morning meal, we often “super bolus”…we give him more insulin than carbs with the intention of giving him the remaining carbs when he’s coming down from his initial high. So, for instance, we will bolus him for 1 cup of milk, but only give him 1/2 up front and the other 1/2 when he’s coming back down. This morning, since he went so high, I gave him that 1/2 cup as he was coming back down from the .60 extra I had to give him to start that downward trend. Normally, he doesn’t go that high…he’ll go up just to over 200, then head back down and I’ll give the other 1/2 cup of milk between 150-160 to get the soft landing.

Some days are crazier than others for no explainable reason at all…this is the enigma that is diabetes.

But we learn “coping” strategies…this just takes time. These days, I am not afraid of insulin. I think that’s one of the biggest differences between the NOW me -vs- the PAST me, when dealing with highs.

1 Like

I preach this all the time (as long as you have a kid willing to eat a little candy or have some chocolate milk).

2 Likes

This fact drives my wife nuts. As a person with diabetes I am at peace with the fact that there is no explainable reason for some blood sugars and keep reminding her of this.

3 Likes

And trying to rationalize, or explain, every instance serves zero purpose most of the time. Now, if there is a TREND…that’s when you should take notice and make changes…but the one off’s…I just let them roll off of me these days and keep on trucking. I spent the first year obsessing over every high and low…that’s the old me.

5 Likes