The longest night

I had a book club and Mitch took the kids out for Indian and ice cream. He was on BG duty for the night but he fell asleep before he could give a bolus for the secondary spike we see with high fat foods like ice cream and takeout Indian. We slept through tons of alarms and when I woke up he was 402 mg/DL :frowning:

He hasnā€™t been this high in a long, long time ā€“ probably at least a few months. And over the course of the night we gave him 6.5 units of insulin total, when his normal basal rate at night is 0.1 units/hr. Heā€™s still not down to normal at 173 mg/DL, and his sensor session is about to end. And he needs to eat breakfast eventually. Iā€™m not sure if I should bolus him now, when dataā€™s about to go down for a few hours. Iā€™m not sure if the crazy amount of insulin he needed last night is indicative of a trend or just from eating insane amounts of food because I didnā€™t see exactly what he ate at dinner. Really not looking forward to the next few hours.

Iā€™ll be thinking about you guys @TiaG. The stress from these events is unmatched. If it were me, I would take it slow and steadyā€¦only giving Liam small snacks as we fix his out of whack BG. He wonā€™t starve by skipping a meal or two. Small 1 or 2 carb snacks while you get him back into the right range/groove would probably be my strategy. I think Samson if like Liam in that his morning meals spike the mostā€¦no telling what his meal would do with the nighttime events still in his system!

Itā€™s ok. Years from now, Samson wonā€™t remember the high BG, but he will remember the ice cream. :yum: :icecream:

2 Likes

I donā€™t mind about the :icecream: I am kicking myself for not staying awake longer and doing the secondary bolus we usually do. He did have a pretty big smile on his face when he came home.

4 Likes

Wellā€¦ I bit the bullet. I did a finger prick, he was 155 down from 173, so I gave Samson an english muffin with some peanut butter. The trouble with delaying his breakfast is that he has a brother very close in age who IS eating breakfast and needs to because heā€™s off to camp today. So Iā€™m just going to be testing a lot for the next few hours. Keep your fingers crossed.

1 Like

@TiaG, this sounds awful. Iā€™m so sorry.

You and your husband sound like you make a wonderful team, which is what makes your post doubly heart-wrenching. Just last night I was rereading your post from last week about having been up 7 times to treat Samsonā€™s lows. I hope you can shake the anger, guilt or self-blame today (it would be so easy to get stuck there). Hoping that Samsonā€™s bg regulates soon and that you all can enjoy the weekend.

What book were you reading?

@Irish, thanks for the kind words. Itā€™s easy to go down a what-if spiral, but I know that does Samson no favors so I do try to short-circuit that thinking pattern.

The book was not great ā€“ It was: A Hobbit, A Wardrobe and a Great War. Would not recommend, even if youā€™re into either C.S. Lewis or Tolkien.

Itā€™s a nonfiction book club but Iā€™ve been thinking lately I need to get back more into fiction.

@TiaG If being high for six or seven hours was really a very bad thing, I would be dead by now. But Iā€™ve survived it for more than 46 years.

Perspective.

2 Likes

true. I think that for those of us who are perfectionists, it can be easy to get so focused on the numbers as a metric of failure or success, when really he will probably face many many of these over the next decades. Hopefully fewer and fewer (and eventually zero if thereā€™s a cure) but I definitely shouldnā€™t let it get to me so much.

2 Likes

Well, double drat. A horrible high, paired with the potential for partner-blaming, paired with a book club that was an attempt at a life outside that proved not even worth the effort. That sounds like an awful night all around. Really hope things settle down and you have a really good weekend somehow! Keep us posted through the day.

WEll, he made it through the sensor restart session pretty seamlessly: 155 when eating, then 138, 126 and 167 when the warmup session completed. Unfortunately, now heā€™s 194 and rising despite me giving him a bolus right as the session restarted. Weā€™ll see if heā€™s just running super high today.
I was really tempted to give him a sick day temp basal but held back.

1 Like

With your elder son going to camp today, will you be in the car a lot, or was Samson going to school today?

Could always scale back the sick basal if youā€™re around to do it and it proves too effective. What a rough day for you all! Did you have to stay home from work?

well, I work from home (my office is in New York, I live in SF), but I had to keep Samson home from school till 10am, when the sensor restarted. The camp right now is pretty close to home. NExt week though weā€™ve signed Zane up for ā€œadventureā€ camp which will be canoeing, stand-up paddleboarding and biking, and itā€™s pretty far. So lots of driving.

Samson came into range before lunch, so I didnā€™t wind up doing the sick basal and I think it should be okay. Weā€™ll see.

1 Like

Well done trusting your instincts and righting the ship!