The new Dexcom G7 – coming February 17

Who’s switching? I think I’m going to ditch the automatic mode on the OM5 since it never gives me enough insulin anyway and adopt the G7. Can’t wait for the smaller size. I could go back to my tandem but I’m so used to no tubes now not sure I could go back.

2 Likes

I’m a late adopter on most everything, so it won’t be a big surprise that I will wait. For me, it takes a while for a sensor to settle in, so I like re-starting most sensors and riding with them; it’s not clear yet whether that will be possible with G7. I do love the 30 minute warmup time. But I will definitely be on the later side of adoption. Let us know how it is going!

1 Like

I’m going to get it as soon as it comes out. I don’t even care if omnipod or tandem doesn’t support it for awhile. :slight_smile:

Restarts never worked for me. Numbers were all over the place.

3 Likes

If you wait for Omnipod 5 compatibility to try out dex 7 it will be a long time! I listened to a interview on Diabetes Connections with Dexcoms CEO and he said OP5 looked like it will take until early 2024.

I’m wondering if they have to change the algorithm because the 7 is suppose to show the value of your BG like 5 (I think) minutes behind instead of 10 to 15.

I’m also thinking that we will have to mentally adjust to treating lows 10 points or so later. Or for us sugar surfers who wait to eat we might start meal 10 or 15 points lower than usual.

2 Likes

That’s not quite right. Every CGM tries to show the actual value of your BG right now, not what it was 5 or 10 or 15 minutes in the past.

It’s true that the raw data the CGM wire measures in the interstitial fluid is delayed; it takes a few minutes for changes in BG to diffuse through the interstitial fluid where the sensor wire is. But that’s not the number the CGM shows. The CGM algorithm uses the series of measurements it has made to estimate as close as possible the actual current BG that would be displayed right now by a lab-grade BG meter.

3 Likes

Thx for the explanation. Im not sure on any of it? I thought that they changed the algorithm of dex g7 to represent your BG closer to real time.

I just meant that the G6 on me is usually 10 to 15 minutes behind a finger stick. I’m hoping 7 will be closer to 3 to 5 .

1 Like

I’ll probably switch my prescription after a month or so, late March? Then I will use up stockpiled G6s which means I won’t actually use the G7 until fall of '23. Hope that gives Insulet enough time to sync with the G7. And Bluejay watch too.

1 Like

Gosh! I am starting to think I could do that too. Is the warm-up time any faster? The size is great! I probably can’t get it just yet as I recently got 3 month supply of g6 stuff. Wonder if insurance will allow? Also, wonder if this coming out has anything to do with how very erratic my recent g6’s have been? They have been off by 140 ish point AND IN BOTH DIRECTIONS, not just reading higher, but lower and that really go me scared while exercising and wondering how it could be 35, I’m sweating and finally stopping to eat and wait and feel like I was in a sort of dream state. Just a thought as I usually do not even have to calibrate these, but for the last 2 months, have had to. Anyway, nice thread and idea! Thanks.

Gosh - great point! But I really would like to try it. Early 2024 is a long time, but I never can seem to let go the notion of mdi (but I do not have OP dialed in yet - for the first month, my mdi and it were tied on TIR, but sd on OP is tighter - yet I am doing far too much work). I may be an early adopter, but limited to whether ins will let me go ahead and try it. I can be impulsive, understatement, so maybe insurance will make me into an on-time adopter, versus early or late!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grin:

Very interesting- I did not know how it worked.

G7 has 1/2 hour warmup instead of 2 hours. And the G7 doesn’t shut off immediately at 10 days, there’s a grace period of several hours where it will continue to show BG.

There’s a 12 hour grace period and you can start the new sensor while the old one is running and then switch after the 30 min warmup as it starts the warmup as soon as you insert it. So essentially no downtime.

4 Likes

I will probably wait until the new Tandem pump launches with the G7 integration?
My current insurance only covers the O5 at this time. So I will have to fight my way back through the VA to get the Tandem pump.
But, with the next tandem pump being almost tubeless, then fully tubeless after that.
Imagine Tandem should be fairly quick to release an update for the G7. Unlike for the O5.

2 Likes

I was interested in the MOBI pump because of the short tube. That would allow for different infusion cannulas whereas I don’t see that with tubeless pumps.

I had to try several sets before finding one that works for me.

I’ve an Endo appointment on the 13th, plan to ask him to prescribe (and set up delivery?) then as long as it doesn’t auto-cancel my G6 script (don’t want to be left without either or have to pay for them out of pocket). No plans to try double tapping and get both, pretty sure that would caught anyway.

1 Like

I think my insurance company would see the G7 as a new medicine and not look at the old G6 script and say oh you just filled this. Since this has added benefits. I’m always concerned with running out of sensors since they never last the 10 days. Never.

I’m back on my tandem now. I’ll probably do both as the OM5 would be great for travel. Plus it’s way better than the tandem for preventing low blood sugar for me but sucks for keeping me at a decent target. When I go to Costa Rica and hiking everywhere I’m always going low so the pod will be nice. Plus I won’t have to worry about breaking my expensive pump and being without. I love the throw away pod format.

Wouldn’t it be great if Tslim and Omnipod collided and formed a hybrid?! You know, something like Nomad or V-ger from StarTrek lore! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I was actually thinking that exact thing other day! Omnipod has such potential but they fall so short in so many areas. Don’t know why they don’t just hire more developers to bang out some phone apps compatible with apple and more and android models.

According to this article, Medicare has already approved the G7! :scream_cat:

5 Likes

I couldn’t believe it ! Seeing a Dexcom g7 ad in the Super Bowl!

Tandem has sent out notes telling Tandem users: don’t switch yet!

e