Anyone lined up for the dexcom G7?

Ever since I saw that Superbowl Commercial with Joe Jonas showing his Dex G7, I wanted it. It was smaller than my G6 and it looked easier to insert. After several years of failures trying the G4 and G5, I finally got the G6 and am soooo thrilled with it. For 90% of the time it is accurate compared to my fingersticks. I dont need to test as much. The alarms wake me up when I go low in the middle of the night, whereas I used to sleep through them until I was in my 30s and 40s and would have to rely upon my husband to treat me with glasses of OJ. Now I can hear the alarm and wake up and take care of myself before I run into too much trouble.

Anyone else waiting for that G7 to be released? Anyone know if there is a waiting line I should be standing on? Are they already backordered? Have you heard any news at all about it?

would love to hear from you, whatever you know.

thanks in advance, Daisy Mae

7 Likes

There is a cool program called Dexcom Simple Start. Im on Omnipod 5 and won’t be able to get G7 until 2024 so Im totally jealous!

6 Likes

I am going to wait a bit to start G7 (I like the (blood sugar reading) consistency of re-starting the G6 too much and want to see if someone comes up with a workaround for G7). But I was on my BCBS insurance site looking for an alternate provider for G6 (wow, do I despise these rinky-dink 3rd party distributors!) and could see that they have already loaded G7 into their system and it appears that it is approved for my plan as a tier II (please don’t ask me what that actually means… I just know that it’s not generic pricing and not premium pricing). I can’t wait to hear how you like it!

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

How do you restart a G6 sensor? I didnt know that you could do this on this model after it wears out after 10 days.

2 Likes

You might also check if your insurance would cover as pharmacy. Mine cost about the same, but like the convenience of local pharmacy, no shipping.
I think dexcom is trying to get even more plans to cover as pharma.

3 Likes

How do you restart a G6 sensor?

It’s pretty straightforward!

• Either let your 10 day session run out or “stop sensor” (prompt way at the bottom of Settings in Dexcom app)
  • Keep the sensor on your body. Pop the transmitter off of the sensor. Do this with a guitar pick, end of a barrette (my favorite) or end of a blood sugar test strip. There are two sides that need to be tripped to get the sensor to let go of the transmitter.
  • Let the transmitter sit away from the sensor for 20+ minutes.
  • Start a new sensor session, but with the same sensor staying adhered to you. You do need to keep the original sensor code #-- save the adhesive backing in a safe place or take a picture of it. Use that same number as the sensor code.
  • “Start session” and it will warm up for two hours and you’ll be on your way!

I typically only restart once b/c my results almost always start to go wonky after a 2nd restart, but you might even get a little more time out of a sensor b/c your blood sugar is so consistent! (The sensor adhesive and Dexcom overpatch adhesive does start to get gummy after 20 days on me.) I’m also including a YouTube video that describes my method plus another that you could try! Let us know how it goes? xo

6 Likes

You might also check if your insurance would cover as pharmacy.

My PBM changed from ExpressScripts to CVS Caremark at the start of this year, so I was trying to figure this out. It does look like I’ll be able to get CGM coverage as pharmacy … now to figure out where I can actually source them? Have you had luck getting them at your local pharmacy? I am not sure how this works. I can see the cost structure of how it should work in the BCBS coverage database, but it’s not like Dexcom is something that even my local Walgreens or CVS would carry (and I prefer not to use those pharmacies if I don’t have to – have a nice relationship with Wegmans or a small, hyper-local pharmacy). Thanks for any thoughts!

2 Likes

I had a script put in for the G7 today. It’ll need prior auth, but my endo’s office has a whole division that does that sort of thing so it’ll get pushed through quickly, I hope. The G6 is a marvel in some ways, but I’ve had garbage luck with it recently. Will report back once I’ve tried the G7 for a bit.

3 Likes

I have a 9 month stock pile of G6. So I’ll get the script at my next appointment, but won’t use until late this year.

2 Likes

I get them (G6) at Costco, since they can reliably get on-site within 1-2 days. Walgreens and CVS are other options I checked but don’t use. Just call and ask.

Depends on your insurance plan.

4 Likes

Has anyone here got it to work with AndroidAPS yet? According to the web site it sounds like it might be possible.

1 Like

Just call them and ask if they will fill RX for dexcom G6, G7 If its on your insurance pharmacy formulary, and they stock it, should be just like other RX.

(I miss Wegmans!!)

4 Likes

I’d be in line in a heartbeat if there was one. I’ll have to wait until tandem & android gets it together. :frowning: :frowning: My G6 is very accurate after the 1st 2 days BUT I really do not like the 2 part system or it’s size. I have had nothing but wildly incorrect reads when restarting one !! Maybe time to try again ?
PS: The G6 apt seems boring & very inadequate compared to Libra 2 IMO BUT I have gotten 10 days form every G6. Out of 6 Months with Libra I think a total of 3 made the 15 day mark ! :frowning:

3 Likes

I was using the ire for 2-3 years. I dont know why; it was NEVER accurate. It was always about 20 points lower than my finger stick. But somehow that gave me a small sense of where I was at. It was easy to put on and the warm-up was only 1 hour compared to the 2 hours for the Dex. I had tried the G4 and the G5 with absolutely no success whatsoever. But now im on the G6 and I love it. No troubles at all except a minor glitch from time to time. But I cant wait for the G7 to come out.

1 Like

So, I’ve got an Endo appt Monday and plan to discuss possible move to G7. I currently get G6 thru Wellstart Medical, they’ve been pretty good and my insurance covers it completely. In prep for the Endo appt, I emailed Wellstart about what to do to switch 2 weeks ago, contacted the two pharmacies I normally use (both DOD locations). One DOD Pharma said they won’t get it and won’t order it, the other at Walter Reed said they’d get it but required pre-approval papers from the doc on medical necessity. Never heard back from Wellstart (a first for them), so called today. Nice lady answered, we discussed; she said Wellstart is still waiting on clear guidance on requirements from Medicare (my primary, Part B; TFL (DOD Tricare for Life) as secondary), but she said they don’t necessarily need a new script, they’re set up to merely switch people over. I’ve never heard of such a thing. Seems a G7 vs G6 change would be an entirely different medical device code requiring a new script, but I’m certainly no expert on Medicare issues and it will hit them first then roll-over to TFL if needed. Any experts or those with experience out there?

3 Likes

So my endo gladly put in a prescription for me for the G7. And, I do qualify for it, and my insurance will pay for 100%. So whats the problem?

They are currently SOLD OUT of the G7s !!! (No Surprise there, right??? :crazy_face:

So in order to continue using my G6, I need a new transmitter and thats another 3 months I must wait it out for the G7 qualification, UGH.

Anyone else run into this problem?

3 Likes

Thank you for the update. Reminded me to message my PCP to put that script in. Hopefully CVS will let me know what kind of wait time I might be dealing with. I have a month left on this transmitter, so fingers crossed that its sooner than that!

2 Likes

I had my endo’s office put in a script for the G7s and in the meantime bought two of them at the manufacturer’s discount price, just to try them out until the insurance processed the request. So far I’ve been pretty favorably impressed by the G7. I can do a longer post on my experience, but for me at least it’s a qualitative improvement from the G6 in several ways. Unfortunately I just got a letter from CVS Caremark telling me that coverage for it is denied. I’m not sure whether an appeal will work, but I’m pretty keen to continue with them: easier application, faster warmup, more accurate. There are a couple of downsides but I’ll save that for a later post.

6 Likes

Booooo, why did CVS Caremark deny coverage? They are my new PBM as of 2023.

3 Likes

@JessicaD Because there is a formulary alternative, i.e., the G6.

4 Likes