My 1st Dexcom G7

Lasted 9 days and 20 hours. Oh well :frowning:

4 Likes

Did it stop reading or falloff?

1 Like

How accurate was it over the course of the session?

1 Like

Soā€¦free sensor?!?

:joy:

3 Likes

@jim26 @CatLady & @Eric
It did not fall off, just loss signal. I didnā€™t change it but let it run. As you can see it restored after 2 hours dropped out and reconnected until it quit.

2 Likes

So this is your 1st. Will be be your last or have you joined the club :grin:

1 Like

Iā€™m committed.

1 Like

Welcome to the club! :smiley:

I have claimed a new one before about this very time in the sensors life and i had no guilt over it at all with the extreme costs we pay in this country for our health care. 10 days is 10 days.

4 Likes

I generally will give them a pass at 9 days.

But if it has been giving me inaccurate readings for the first 9 days, and then it fails, I might call it in.

Just kinda depends.

2 Likes

I just swapped out my first G7 (sample from my Endo); it lasted the full 10 days, plus 12 hour grace period. It was a little more ā€œjumpyā€ (i.e not smooth rises, falls, and turns) but otherwise was fine on accuracy and no drop-outs. I message my Endo to please send a script to our local military pharmacy for G7s and a receiver to replace my G6 order. Iā€™ll need to turn off the G6 supply (thru Wellstart Medical mail order) after I confirm the G7 supply is active.

Unfortunately, weā€™re at our cabin in WV (ā‰ˆ70 miles from home) and the we decided to stay around an extra week (we volunteer to help with the community pool, water/sewer system, etc.). I thought no problem, I brought extra pods and an extra G6 sensorā€¦except I when I needed to swap the G7 for the G6 I realized I didnā€™t have a transmitter for the thingā€¦very poor planning on my part and cost me a 0-dark-30 road trip back home (couldnā€™t have tried to replace my stuff in the day time! On the good side, I picked up the 2nd sample G7, which Iā€™d left at home, along with a G6 transmitter. Please learn from my errors! Plan appropriately, including for the unexpected longer stay/vacation, whether switching gear or not!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s really heads up about asking for the receiver. My iPhone right now will not take calibrations so the receiver I got from my Endoā€™s office is a Godsend.

Sorry about the hardship of having to return home. Sometimes hard to remember everything. I know youā€™ll be busy with helping but I hope you will get some R&R time for yourself.

2 Likes

Me too, but I feel guilty; the (US) health care system says they last ā€œ10 daysā€ (the G7 at least can be run for 10.5 days less the 30 minute startup) but the G6 manual clearly stated that only around 95% of them last for 10 days and I donā€™t think the G7 is any different (I donā€™t have the manual and havenā€™t checked online).

So by not demanding a replacement for failed goods (anything less than exactly 10 days) we are not doing our part to Stop The Lies; 10 days is 10 days, not 10 days 19 out of 20 of them. Hence my guilt.

@CarlosLuis I frequently had G6 sensors which would start failing after 8 or so days; the 2 hour dropout seemed to be programmed into the G6. On average and just my opinion but I think the G7 is better. In fact I canā€™t remember a 2 hour dropout like yours in all the time Iā€™ve been using the G7. G7s do still do the 15 minute dropouts (where they go AWOL and come back after three readings).

4 Likes

For some reason the last two short trips Iā€™ve taken, I forgot a tandem cartridge :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. Fortunately the cartridges can be used more than once. Very frustrating.

2 Likes

Rough Dexcom night. Hey itā€™s my own fault I did a 2 hour presoak & it really threw everything off. Last night, day 9, had to calibrate every one or two hours. No screen shot because iPhone app would not take a calibration I had to use the Dexcom receiver to calibrate. Made it to this morning & started new sensor. Calibration on phone is now available.

Note to self: PRESOAK at your own risk :rofl:

1 Like

@SobeiT Iā€™d like to take credit for asking for the receiver script, but I read a post about doing that at one of the forumā€™s I tend to monitor! Might have been here on FUD, but I think it was LnL or Loop FB group. Glad to have paid it back by passing it on here!

Thanks for the wishes on R&R, I hope to get some. Itā€™s amazing how much ā€œretiredā€ people can pack into a week. Saturday, the wife and I and three others cut a roadway about 50-60 yards thru 30 years of forest growth bushes and trees at our cabin community so a propane contractor could replace the community pool heater gas tank (1000 gal). Apparently nobody thought about/did anything about maintaining access over the last 30+ years. Yesterday after the late night Saturday trip to pickup the G7 and G6 transmitter, the wife said ā€œthe grass is looking like Cambodia); hint taken, grass quickly mowed before returning to the cabin (my butt is square from sitting in the car!). Today is a discussion about/tracking down the water/sewer/electrical runs to/around the small community pool (no as-builts by the developer in this rural locale). Tomorrow we tackle the small 146 lot community gateway entry. All while watching my BGā€¦that ā€œyard workā€ preset profile is getting a workout latelyā€¦

Is the iPhone problem about taking calibrations something you need help with? What app is rejecting/not using them? Anything others of us here can help?

2 Likes

It is the G7 iPhone app but problem solved see above post. <I type like a 3 toed sloth you beat me to post>

I envy your energy but not that sore bottom :grin: now really try & get some restā€¦ err never mind youā€™ll get that when you return homeā€¦ maybe :joy:

2 Likes

My 2nd G7 failed today requesting replacement at 5 days. I hope this is not a trend. I w
Iā€™ll report it. It did not come unstuck.

Last night it woke me several times with false lows, oh, I also got woke up with a delayed alarm by my watch.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear this. I hope it wonā€™t be a trend either! I think not! I inserted my 3rd G7 today. Still running in parallel with G6. I forgot about soaking the G7 when it expired, so I started it w/out soaking. It ran low right off the bat. I tried calibrating to my G6 values as G6 was running very accurately and was matching my previous G7 quite well for the last several days. I calibrated maybe 5 times, and each time Dex said it saved it but it would not apply the calibration (or some such wording!). After about an hour it started to track very close to my G6 and still is. So Iā€™m pretty happy about that. It does typically run higher than G6 though, but I think that is more accurate for me, as G6 is typically too low.

I was a little more comfortable doing the inserting, I needed help pushing the button but could place the overpatch on my arm w/out too much trouble.

The BG jumpiness does look pretty bad in the G7 app, but the smoothing that Trio does seems to do a great job. Once I switch to G7 I will probably switch from Loop to Trio as I donā€™t think as yet Loop has plans for BG smoothing. Iā€™ll test Loop out w/ G7 though first.

5 Likes

Iā€™m glad you had luck with early calibration! Iā€™d given up and come to accept that the first 24 hours (especially the first 12) show trends okay but not accurate numbersā€¦ so I donā€™t calibrate at all during the first 24 hours. I try to put a new one on just before I go to sleep, so the majority of the wonky readings are while Iā€™m unconscious haha. After 24 hours Iā€™m almost always able to trust its readings!

4 Likes