Anyone lined up for the dexcom G7?

They may deny if you still have script for more G6 refills. Call them and ask.
You may need to get pharmacy to cancel G6.

6 Likes

I use CCS Medical for ALL of my D hardware. They are amazing. I use CVS for all other meds, etc. But CCS Medical takes care of everything and their customer service is stelar.

Ever try using them?

1 Like

I use CCS Medical for pump supplies. When first started Dexcom Seven, that was only available as DME. Later got G4, G6 from DME, at CCS.

Then my insurance started coverage as pharmacy at lower cost, and switched to get G6 at pharmacy, and plan to get G7 there too.

4 Likes

Iā€™m on Medicare, and they pay 100% for alll durable medical supplies. CCS is easy for me. They call me, send re-order forms, and I have my own account online with them. I dont know how other insurance plans work.

4 Likes

I was SO ready to switch the minute it came out but I realized how dependent I am on the automatic mode of the OM5. :frowning:

3 Likes

UHC/Optum held up my last (current) G6 refill and sent me texts that appeared to be hacked spam texts from a short code saying ā€œplease callā€ with an embedded phone number that doesnā€™t show up on a Boolean search. I ended calling on the main phone number just because Iā€™m a cynic and have a healthy distrust of unsolicited messages and surprise surprise Optum wanted to know if I wanted to upgrade to the G7. Sadly I had to politely decline because Iā€™m using the G6 with a Tandem pump. The pharmacist seemed to think that the G7 integration with the Tandem pump would be available sometime mid-summer. Fingers crossed.

5 Likes

Talked with my Endo at my appt; he advised folks in the area are having problems getting the G7 in the DC area (Iā€™m outside DC on the VA side). Heā€™s of the same philosophy as I: ā€œDonā€™t buy versions 1.0 of anything.ā€. Iā€™m up for a re-order of G6 and called WELLSTART Med (the org my previous Endo set me up with initially), and the person there said Medicare has approved it but is still lagging on the rules theyā€™ll apply for coverage. (Anyone on Medicare got it, know the rules of the road?) Anyway, I agreed to hold off until June (G6 re-supply time again). WELLSTART confirmed they do NOT currently require a new Rx and will work directly with my Endo if it changes.

3 Likes

I live in the same area and just had my annual physical with my PCP (not even endo) who managed to get me an RX for a G7 (via mail-order pharmacy). It was the first G7 RX he has written (he didnā€™t even realize it was out in the US yet) and is due to arrive tomorrow. Way earlier than I thought and Iā€™ve still got an extra G6 transmitter and several sensors to get through. My copay was the same price as the G6 sensors, so with no transmitter required it should cut my costs in half. The only downside is I think we wonā€™t be able to restart the G7 like we could the G6.

5 Likes

Got mine a few days ago. The only hold-up was that G7 wasnā€™t in my PCPā€™s system yet. So it took a few phone calls to her and CVS to get it sorted. Same co-pay, yay! Still have a month left on this transmitter and a couple monthā€™s stockpile of G6 sensors. (So, if anyone local is in need of thoseā€¦)

3 Likes

My G7s arrived on schedule. I knew the device itself was smaller, but the inserter device is about half as big as the one for the G6 and theyā€™re individually boxed instead of those huge boxes with three big blister packs of the G6. These are going to be way easier to travel with. Iā€™ve got several months of G6 sensors and transmitters to work through but if anyone knows the best way to connect a G7 to Xdrip+ Iā€™d love to hear. Right now it looks like companion mode with the G7 app (which Iā€™ve never used) is the only way to go, but Iā€™ve been an Xdrip+ user forever and would probably prefer to stick with only that app if I can.

2 Likes

Fairly new to the G6/O5 system, and so far am not seeing abnormal results between the G6 and finger sticks. Bloody fingers crossed that continues until the O5 can be compatible.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve now tried the G7 for 20 days and can provide some comments on it. My point of comparison will be the G6.

Insertion and Activation: This was worlds away an improvement. I always bleed with the G6 applicator; the two G7s I tried went in without a hitch. Itā€™s a different design, so positioning your finger on the trigger takes some getting used to, and it still has the usual ear-rattling ā€œBLAM!ā€ The sensor wire goes in straight, not at an angle, and itā€™s shorter than the G6 wire. You definitely need to use the included sensor overpatch with this one; itā€™s quite small and there isnā€™t much adhesive surface around the sensor itself, so without the patch itā€™ll likely come off. The activation time works as advertised, always under 30 minutes, which is just incredible.

App: Thereā€™s a new app that rolls together the glucose readings and the old Clarity app. No major changes to the readings display itself but thereā€™s no separate ā€œCalibrateā€ function. If you need to do it you enter it as an Event. But I found much less need to calibrate the G7. The first sensor didnā€™t need it at all, the second one only once.

Functionality: For me this was substantially more accurate than the G6. The first sensor came in under 10 points off the meter almost all of the time. The second one was wonky for the first two days (probably the wire getting settled) and then was comparable. Surprisingly, it was also fairly accurate during and after exercise, which the G6 never is for me. The time lag was also sharply reduced. I found the G7 to be much closer to ā€œreal-time.ā€ Given the biophysics I assume this is due to the algorithm itā€™s using, but either way it seemed more responsive.

Connectivity: Here Iā€™ll lodge a complaint. The G7 was somewhat more prone to dropping the bluetooth connection to my phone. Possibly itā€™s got a shorter range than the G6. I assume that miniaturization means giving up power that could otherwise boost it. Annoying, but not a dealbreaker for me given that the G6 will also drop out if I wear bluetooth headphones on the phone thatā€™s receiving from it. I donā€™t connect to a receiver or watch, so I canā€™t address how well it talks to those.

Lifespan: Both sensors made it the full 10 days, and I let the second one ride out its whole grace period (around 10 extra hours after the official expiry time). This turned out to be a huge blessing because the G6 I applied was barely working for most of the day and I ended up leaning on the still-running G7 for readings. Because this is an integrated sensor/transmitter I assume it canā€™t be extended, which is something I donā€™t do with the G6 anyway.

Verdict: For me, the G7 was terrific. I understand the wariness about adopting 1.0 versions of tech, and I generally share it. But if damned CVS Caremark would get around to covering this for me I would switch immediately given that in its main functionality it isnā€™t (so far) any worse than the G6, and in most respects struck me as much better. No doubt with more use Iā€™ll discover things that irritate me about it, but those are my first impressions.

16 Likes

Thanks for your detailed report! Good to know accuracy seems to be omproved and the 30 minute warmup is certainly an improvement. The 2 hour warmup and the unstable readings after a new sensor is usually the worst time for me for out of range BGs.

5 Likes

Thanks, @needlesandmath for a great report. I will have to stay with the G6 until Tandem works out the issues of interfacing with the pump.

I would really like to see a comparison from those like me that have issues with the G6 acting stupid starting on day 7. This is a regular occurrence for me in the 2+ years of using the G6. I donā€™t report every failure because I would be overloaded with sensors. I generally report every 3rd or 4th. I have had a few sensors to last 10 days.

3 Likes

@needlesandmath Thanks very much for the thorough review and comments. Iā€™m sure everyone wont be the same, but your comments instill some trust in making the switch!:+1::melting_face:

2 Likes

@CarlosLuis I understand it takes time to do things, but have to admit I donā€™t understand the holdup with Tandem working out interfacing with the G7. While I understand Loop can cut some corners G7/Loop compatibility has been around for a few months now, so itā€™s not like itā€™s that hard to do. Is it an FDA thing getting software changes thru? Yes, Iā€™m probably simplifying a more complex processā€¦

1 Like

My fingers were passed bloody years ago; now they are miserably calloused and its difficult to get a blood drop out. Ive had to move my fingersticks to the sides of my finger. OUCH! :cry:

1 Like

I also hate the 2 hour warm up. I feel naked during that time period and it feels like forever.

For myself as far as the G6 works, its only the first day that my readings are wacky, but the longer I wear it the more accurate it gets and I dont want to take it off and change

the only time I lose connection is while I am swimming and it comes right back within 15 minutes. I guess I am lucky in this regard.

By the end it gets so accurate I dread having to change it out bc I know ill b wacky again for that first day. From reading these posts, its clear that YDMV.

3 Likes

I have the same experience as you, DM. The 2 hour warmup is awful though, and the first 1 or 2 days. I try not to calibrate though because it seems whenever I do, it takes the sensor even longer to adapt to my body. Of course, sometimes I have no choice but to calibrate, eg., says Iā€™m LOW, when Iā€™m in range or even trending high! I also try to put on the new sensor early, about 12 hours early, before the old one expires. That does seem to help with the accuracy of the new sensor.

5 Likes

I agree and end up doing a lot more fingersticks during the first 24 hours. Bleah!

I have been wondering how folks who Loop or use hybrid loop pumps deal with this situation.

3 Likes