The new Dexcom G7 – coming February 17

Well I hope the G7 has a better insertion protocol because because I had a disastrous morning changing G6 sensors. Switched to my left arm first and it bled all over creation–too much to even get the transmitter in. Then tried my abdomen, which also bled, but I got the transmitter inserted and now I’m just hoping it starts up ok. These are from the same fresh box, so it seems like a quality control problem. Or maybe I’m just an easy bleeder.

Anyone know the minimum number of days before you can reuse a previous sensor site? If I get jammed up I may need to switch back to my right arm in less than the recommended 10 days. Not many other places with enough padding to reliably use on me.

I don’t understand the “too much” part. When I get a gusher I just keep sopping up the blood with paper towel, including sticking a corner in the groove where the blood is coming out, tearing it off when it’s wet, and doing it over and over again until the blood flow stops. At that point the sensor well is clean and dry, so I put the transmitter in and start the sensor. Generally I find that a bleeder site gives accurate CGM readings.

A gusher is a big nuisance, but I haven’t experienced it making the sensor unusable.

2 Likes

Yeah I have backpedaled on switching immediately. I’m itching to start using it but I’m thinking “do I really want to lose the loop”?

What you’re describing here sounds like a great procedure that I’ll follow next time I get one that really spills. I’ve had less favorable experiences with bleeders; sometimes the sensor just fails to start entirely, so I need to switch anyway and I’ve wasted an hour. But more patience would probably be a better first line of response.

[Edited to add: I also get less reliable readings with bleeders about half the time, another reason for my instant annoyance when they happen.]

2 Likes

I’d try to move it just a little, like maybe a half inch or more so it really wouldn’t matter. It’s not like insulin infusion where something is flowing and spreading to the subcutaneous space making an area of irritated/damaged tissue.

2 Likes

As soon as you remove a sensor you can put one on in the same spot as long as your skin is not irritated. There is no issue with healing under the skin with sensors according to the clinicians doing studies that I’ve spoken to over the years. The manufactures state that rotation is to avoid skin irritation not under the
skin damage.

2 Likes