Updated G7 News! Direct to Watch and other cool stuff

Big news for G7 - 30 minute warmup plus direct-to-watch

Screen shot of Dexcom G7 from ATTD1 (Twitter)

14 Likes

You would need 2 different “receiver” devices to do the start sensor and warm-up. But once 2nd one is giving readings, it might work to simply pair the new sensor to the first receiver (or phone, watch). Assuming there is an equivalent “transmitter id” associated with each G7 unit.

3 Likes

Very cool, wonder which watches? Did they spill an expected date of release?

1 Like

Nothing more than ETA end of 2021 in USA, depending on FDA

4 Likes

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

My phone can already connect to multiple Bluetooth devices simultaneously; maybe the Dexcom app could connect to two sensors at the same time. But if not, at least it only takes 30 minutes to warm up.

1 Like

Not likely. Current G6 you have to enter the transmitter id into phone or receiver, and that’s what it looks for to pair.

2 Likes

30 minute warm up would be great! I’m using Loop though so I definitely won’t switch from G6 to G7 unless Loop supports it!!

3 Likes

I’ll believe the DTW when i see it, but 30 minute warmup is a huge win for us!

3 Likes

The 30 minute warm up would be GREAT!
Now, to get rid of the first 12-24 wonky numbers game.
Then again, I imagine I will still insert the G7 the night before, and actually start it in the morning. This works great with the G5 and G6 to mitigate the initial 1/2 day of bad numbers.

5 Likes

Do you keep the about-to-expire G6 attached and sending data while the new G6 is inserted but not started?

1 Like

Exactly.
I like to plan my G6 start times for Sunday morning.
So Saturday night I insert the new G6 sensor, and let it soak over night.
Sunday morning I stop the sensor for the old one, wait the 15 minutes or so, and insert the transmitter into the new sensor.
I still have to wait out the 2 hour start time, but my initial readings are a LOT more stable this way.
Not perfect, but enough that I will dose off my numbers on Sunday. I don’t usually eat big carb meals on Sunday anyways, so this day works well for me. I get a late start on breakfast (usually wait until after the new sensor is up and running,) and then am outside working on something.
Believe it or not, I rarely even fingerstick to test my BG against the G6.
If I feel that it is not in sync with what the G6 says, I will check it, but I rarely have to do this.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones with Dexcom.
On the G5, I would wear it from 2 to 4 weeks per sensor. Not because of the money, but because I found these longer sessions to provide the greatest accuracy.
With the G6, I have more issues with the adhesives, so I usually run my sensors for 14 days just that I can restart on Sunday. I have only had a couple sensors that didn’t last this long. It is almost always the adhesive that fails. I use Skintac, but it still doesn’t work as effective as it did with the G5 sensors.

The G7 will force me to get on a 10 day cycle, which is really the only thing that I really don’t like about it. If they changed it to 14 days, I would be happy. But then again, they have said they would approve the G6 and G5 for 14 days, see what that got us…

5 Likes

Ok well hopefully they were waiting to release the G7 stuff on the compatibility for the new G5 phones too. Dexcom seems to like to drag their feet when it comes to new phone compatibilities I want to trade up my old to a new but can’t seem to get the one I want because of this problem.

1 Like

I like the Libre 2 and it’s 14 day sensor provides accuracy and reliability…although, I do not have a pump and have been looking forward to upgrading to the G7 and a pump… some of the comments above about the G7 cause me to wonder if I have a good plan.

1 Like

@Nobeac FWIW, the iPhone ecosystem is easier to implement code compared to the very fractured Android ecosystem. That is the primary reason for the limited Android options.

1 Like

Brilliant!!! I alway do my change around midnight when I get home from work(bartender). Allows me to wait the warm up out while winding down. Might give this a shout in 2 weeks(just started a new sensor).

1 Like

How about trensmitter? Simple, yet it works. :laughing: :nerd_face:

1 Like

The G6 transmitter can pair with 2 devices. One can be a phone, the other can be a device such as a watch or receiver or pump (such as Tandem T-Slim.).

My dexcom transmitter is connected to my T-Slim pump and my phone.

On my phone, I have an app xDrip, which gets sensor data via transmitter. Then my Fitbit watch can also get BG and trend from xDrip rather than a direct connection to transmitter. I also have T-Connect app on phone, and it can get bg from separate BT connection between phone and pump. The phone T:Connect app will automatically send cgm and pump data to web T:Connect, where different reports and graghs are helpful to review with doctor, or print out.

So direct access and indirect access can get cgm (and pump) data to several places. Others here use different ways to get/share/report data.

2 Likes

Wait a minute, what Fitbit do you have?! If you say you have the Versa 2 then I’m going to start kicking myself. I wear one allll dayyyyy longggg. If I could get my BG on here then I will download xdrip+ right now!

1 Like

I have Ionic.

But you’re in luck, the versa should work too.

The magic that makes it work is called Glance, which gets data from xDrip, and sends to the watch.
You also need xDrip.

Check this link.

I also found this possible alternative, but have not tried it. Appears to allow data from xDrip or other sources.

Neither of these are direct cgm to watch, which is possible with other devices.

5 Likes