Dexcom G7 release?

There is no perfect CGM…I have sampled 3 brands: Dexcom, Abbott and Eversense. They each have pluses and minuses. I’m glad we have choices, and each company seems serious about periodically improving their product.

I suspect that the only way we will ever end up with a “perfect” CGM will be if the FDA decided not to regulate them. I am not sure why it makes sense for the FDA to be so involved with CGM tech, are they really that different than all the unregulated wearables? Are the BG meters regulated to the level of CGMs?

Hope that makes sense to everybody…it seems like a lot of the CGM issues we deal with are software related and are purposely built in by the manufacturers, probably to dumb down the devices and satisfy FDA reviewers.

2 Likes

Which one do you use; each of our personal experiences are valuable and, because we are diabetics, each are critical. Our lives do depend on that. So what are your personal experiences with those three attempts?

2 Likes

Good question! I settled in with Dexcom, presently very happy with G6. I liked the Eversense a lot and it worked great for me…but I hesitate to recommend it to anybody because I suspect it is not right for everybody.

1 Like

Eversense is clearly an attractive alternative to the G7; single device and, a big plus on the G7, in place for 180 days, or 90 in the US. It claims to be more accurate than Dexcom, though these claims are not useful to us; we care about the errors in the high and low range measured by the same standards as fingersticks.

I’m interested in why you went back to the G6; you have to replace it every ten days, not every 180 (or is there something that stops us running it to 180 in the US?) Is this the FDA issue?

Replying to my own post from this link:

Calibrations Required:
The system requires fingerstick calibrations at least twice daily, and the calibrations can only be performed when the glucose is in a steady-state. The app generates calibration reminder alerts twice daily regardless of whether a calibration was recently performed. That’s annoying!

The Transmitter:
The need to have a transmitter on the skin negates many of the benefits of the implanted sensor. Keeping the transmitter working requires a daily ritual that takes about ten minutes. You must remove the transmitter from the skin, remove the adhesive from the transmitter, charge it, re-apply the adhesive, and use a locator guide on the app to re-place it directly over the sensor.

So, that’s a total piece of junk. Duh, why would anyone want to use something like this as opposed to a Dexcom, G5(calibrations required, plus transmitter), G6(no calibrations, transmitter) or G7(none of that ****)?

I was a long time G5 user and tried Eversense using their Bridge program, self funded but steeply discounted. That got me 2 90 day sensors. After that, my insurance (still) would not cover Eversense so I went back to Dexcom.

As for pros and cons, the biggest pro for me was Eversense will alert when phone is turned off or not in range. It buzzes on your arm. I got some use out if that feature and would go back to Eversense if the 180 or 365 day sensors are approved and if I can cajole my insurer to cover it. The cons might be a deal breaker for some: Doctor’s appointments for insertion and removal, persnickety calibration algorithm, and visible scars on my arms.

My FDA criticism was more about the big picture. I think we would have more and less costly options for CGM if the FDA would lighten up. It takes years for each upgrade to get approved…I don’t see where that process adds any value to tech products like CGM.

1 Like

I have been thinking about the ramifications of having the sensor and transmitter combined into a single unit. I am hoping it means that when I insert a new sensor/transmitter (stransmitter? transor?), the new one could do its 2 hour warmup while the old one is still sensing and transmitting. That way, there would be no downtime at all. That would be nice.

5 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Updated G7 News! Direct to Watch and other cool stuff

I bet the G7 with sensor and transmitter in one unit will not be able to to restart. Battery in the transmitter/sensor unit. Just a guess, but I bet Dexcom doesn’t like people restarting sensors.

4 Likes

Two thoughts. First, my understanding is that the warmup time for the G7 will be 30 minutes, not 2 hours. While we won’t know for sure about this until Dexcom actually releases the G7, 30 minutes is what is currently expected.

Second, the option of using an existing sensor while the replacement sensor is warming up would require more than one monitoring device. I suppose that might be a possibility for some. But it’s not something that I could do since the only device I have which can connect with my Dexcom transmitter is my Tandem t:slim x2 pump. :man_shrugging:

It will be interesting to see what capabilities the G7 actually has when it is eventually release.

1 Like

That’s certainly good news.

Second, the option of using an existing sensor while the replacement sensor is warming up would require more than one monitoring device.

My phone can connect to multiple Bluetooth devices simultaneously; I wonder what would stop the Dexcom app (or a future version of an insulin pump) from connecting to two sensors simultaneously?

1 Like

To do this, the app would have to be written to include this function. That adds complexity (co$t) to the app so I doubt that Dexcom went to the trouble to do that.

1 Like

They might; covering the intervening 30 minutes (or however long it turns out to be) would fill a major hole in their interoperability with insulin pumps; losing corrections for the current 2 hours means that a completely automated system is not possible (a lot can happen to a T1 in 2 hours.) They might also figure that 30 minutes is enough to fix this.

The actual cost of software development is zero; regardless of how much devs actually get paid (Dexcom probably isn’t paying much) amortizing it over the shipped units reduces the cost to zero. Ok, there’s a lot of s/w politics here that I won’t go into, but Dexcom’s major issue would be justifying allowing parallel transmitters to multiple regulatory authorities. I don’t think that would be hard, but it’s something extra they have to do so it costs and, because it is regulatory approval, it involves many, many employees and many, many bits of paper - much more expensive than coffee for a nerd.

1 Like

For anyone that hasn’t read/heard about it, sorry to report the G7 is delayed until late 2022 if not 2023. See reporting: Dexcom’s G7 glucose monitor delayed until late 2022; stock price drops 5.6% | MedTech Dive
https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/dexcom-resubmit-g7-glucose-monitor-software-fda-review-pushing-back-us-launch
Dexcom to update G7, delaying FDA clearance, launch timelines

This provides an opportunity for Abbot who’se readying US release of the Free Style Libre 3. Could get interesting and create some competition for Dexcom.

4 Likes

While that’s a bummer, competition is good. The Libre 3 is so small I love it, I wish I’d get adopted more by integrated devices.

Dexcom is rolling out the release of G7 in several minutes countries but not yet for the US.

In the United States, the device is still under FDA review, with the company targeting a start date for the limited US launch before the end of 2022.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Anyone need G5 sensors?

I just wish the FDA would go away. Let’s use same process Europe uses to approve products and ban bad food products like HFCS, which I have no idea about. :slight_smile: Seriously the FDA just gets in my way.

2 Likes

That would be interesting to me as well. The European CE mark doesn’t necessarily infer quality, but the newer EU MDR mark has much more stringent guidelines. As a consumer, when medications and medical devices are released in Europe they are given a thorough pre-release inspection but ultimately the consumers decide via the marketplace the efficacy of the product. I for one am happy to help sort out the good from the bad `if it gets the product to market faster and stops the backlog/graft/excessive legislation to keep little Johnny from getting hurt because he used his index finger instead of his pinky to pick his nose

5 Likes

Are there particular countries that have the most favorable stances for diabetics? Or at least OK ones…