Dexcom G7 release continues (not yet US)

Good news!!

Dexcom G7 Release

Edit to add more info link.

6 Likes

Not sure it is good. It is only good if they will allow us to access it for things like the home-baked loop or nightscout or other apps.

If it becomes proprietary communication, a lot of people are gonna be impacted negatively by this once the G6 is no longer available.

@chris, do you know if the G7 will allow us to access the data?

2 Likes

Lemme add a few people who are familiar with Loop. Not sure who all the loop people are. :man_shrugging:

@ClaudnDaye
@Trying
@bkh
@TomH
@dm61

Hopefully Dexcom will just continue to allow the data to be accessed, but there is no telling what these companies are gonna do.

3 Likes

Assuming the Tandem pump will be supported, with a software update.

But of course don’t know if and when.

1 Like

Is Loop used outside US? If yes, they would be the first to figure it out.

2 Likes

I am sure they will do that with Tandem and the “corporate” versions of any closed loop pump like Omnipod5.

But not sure if it will support the home-made ones. That is my concern. Because you know, we diabetics aren’t smart enough to do it ourselves. We need to use a pump algorithm a company makes for us. We be two stupid too dew our own.

2 Likes

Why not… ? It would increase their sales !!

I saw on zulipchat that the G7 is available in Germany and one was provided to Loop so that dev can begin reverse engineering and testing. Pete has already released a test version for it. He asked that those who can test G7 restrict it only to testing with Simulator since there could still be dosing issues with the protocol.

5 Likes

Yes, by many outside of the U.S.!

1 Like

Just guessing it would be for legal reasons.

1 Like

First, yes, Loop is used worldwide. There are at least 2 German G7 users capturing transmissions and providing the info to developers for analysis and decyphering. A Loop branch already exists for it and is available for people with G7s to use with test pods (not attached to people) and test phones. It’s not ready for even beta testing on people via Loop-dev and requires significant more work. As an example, they haven’t quite figured out what bits are transmitting the BG trend arrow info. The topic hit the Loop chat discussions within the last two weeks or so. Several people from the UK and Germany have volunteered devices to the effort now that Dexcom finally put out G7 product for actual order/use by the community.

As you can imagine, Dexcom is NOT helping the effort as it requires breaking/circumventing the security measures introduced with the G7. It’s been noted the G7 transmissions are very different from G6 BT methodology. Also note: the FDA is looking at establishing security/encryption requirements for medical devices. It may be well intended (protection of us), but also may turn medical device data (the US G7 yet to be released?) into a “black box” that renders what should be “user data” into “Dexcom data”…it should be anathma to any T1s/others needing/wanting access to data developed from their bodies.

I suspect Loop for G7 will not be generally available until the US version is released to ensure additional security measures/encryption are not introduced my Dexcom or required by the FDA. At any rate, I don’t see the demise of the G6 in the foreseeable future…that said, anything’s possible…

7 Likes

What troubles me is a) the FDA sticking their grubby little sausage fingers into our stuff, and b) the fact that keeping 2 different versions going for any company means higher production and support costs.

The way these things always go, companies will eventually get rid of the older version, just like they did with the G5 a little while ago. Same with Omnipod, they are going to abandon the older pod/PDM’s pretty soon.

It sucks for us.

5 Likes

@Eric I like to think the FDA has good intentions, protection of the person. But, the “unintended” effect, unless carefully implemented to be so, is to hide my data from me…seemingly like the O5. Even BG finger prick systems that “let you see your data” using an online system are collecting your data, some anonymously some not. Once those systems get hacked or shared with insurance companies, our data is in the wind. It’s the same or worse for those with CPAPs, heart monitors, etc.

And you’re right, the G6 will go away eventually and the Dash/Eros pods will go away…hopefully NOT for the single O5, or I’ll be finding a device that lets me see what its doing…corporations have no one’s interest at heart but their own…

2 Likes

There was an update on zulipchat today on G7…

Pete Schwamb9:53 AM

Development on this will be on pause for a bit; I’ve tackled the main safety issues I’ve seen, and decoded most of the important bits, I think. Once I have more sensors (some kind donors have offered to send them), I’ll jump back in to wrap up the UI. In the meantime, please report any issues you have (data related, not issues with the CGM settings UI).

Pete Schwamb11:53 AM

I’m really happy too; I was fearing an app-level encryption layer, which thankfully was not added.

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t care if a hacker accesses my BG numbers. Hell, I’ll give it to them if they ask, they would not even need to hack their way in.

4 Likes

That’s fair, your numbers are great and you should be proud of them.

I can also see several reasons others might want to keep their numbers private. Reasons involving employment, or driving privileges, or insurance, or personal shame, or just plain it’s nobody else’s business what my BG is so don’t stick your nose in where it doesn’t belong.

Was that a little too strident?

3 Likes

@eric I think the bigger concern, and the ostensible reason for FDA action, is to protect AID/other device hacking to increase/decrease insulin/other med dosing, auto delivered heart rates on a pacemaker, meds, etc. I appreciate the effort may be needed/warranted for some people in a sensitive/critical jobs with limited # of performers or had a threat matrix of concern. But i believe it can be addressed by existing encryption algorithms with keys administered by the user.

4 Likes

Started to send this on @Eric’s topic on building G7 on to his Loop version, didn’t want to hijack and this topic seems more appropriate.

I read an article just yesterday that said Dexcom “requires” use of the G7 over-patch and at least a couple of people commented that Dexcom has become very “stingy” about replacing the G7, where with G6 it wasn’t all that hard to get a sensor replaced. So a few questions for those with experience:

1. Have you experienced the G7 “falling off” more without the over-patch?
  2. If you’ve used the over-patch, is it a pain to use? (Seems if they were going to require it, it should have been incorporated, though it might have interfered with the claim the G7 is smaller!)
  3. Have you experienced more G7 failures, vice G6?
  4. Have experienced the reported “stinginess” on replacements of G7 failures?

Thanks in advance…

1 Like

@TomH I haven’t noticed any stinginess with replacements. Just more questions, some of which aren’t on the online form, so they end up calling me. I always use the overpatch, as the sensor doesn’t seem as sticky. They’ve made it more user-friendly recently. If you can’t get it on, they replace the sensor and overpatch. They will not replace a sensor if you don’t use it.
I’ve always had a problem with failures, with both generations. G7 less so, and less days of intermittent sensor error.
Hope this answers some questions!

5 Likes

@Mariethm Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes