G6 to be discontinued

I just got informed the G6 is going to be discontinued by my supplier. They wanted to know if I wanted to upgrade to the G7 and I told them no. Then they said I will be getting an e-mail from Dexcom that the G6 will be discontinued, but there is not a set date yet. Letting us down softly I guess. Dexcom had said they wouldn’t be discontinuing the G6 any time soon, but we all knew it would happen.

But I really really suggest you do a few restarts of your G6 to build a backup supply while you can for when things go wrong, from insurance mishaps, to a couple not working or coming off, traveling and not being able to get your supply yet. Waiting for a replacement to arrive. It happens. I restart mine, but if we can’t restart, there won’t be “the extras” out there that there is now to share. Back up supplies enable us to keep functioning as normal.

So if you have a couple of back ups, when you get you the G7 you can then use the back up G6’s so you can build a couple of backup’s of the G7’s before you actually start using it.

9 Likes

Interesting…here’s the current discussion from a Dexcom support page:

“Why can’t I keep using my Dexcom G6 stand-alone system?

With the launch of Dexcom G7, and as we have done with all previous generations, Dexcom is in the process of phasing out the Dexcom G6 CGM system for all users who are not using or considering an automated insulin delivery system. All other customers should upgrade to Dexcom G7 now. We remain committed to continuing to supply Dexcom G6 to those who need it.”

6 Likes

Also remember that Dexcom is no longer the only kid on the block (in the US); the Abbott Libre is widely available now and has a 14 day life. ATM we seem to have a choice; as soon as they start price battling we will get drawn in to the insurance scam whereby the insurance companies will insist we use one or the other (not the fault of the insurers of course). I’d like to see more feedback on the Libre, particularly from people using it with AIDs.

Meanwhile Insulet will keep the G6 alive for everyone; it will take them a while to roll over to a system which can drive the G7 if, indeed, they choose to do that.

1 Like

You were told by your SUPPLIER, but not by Dexcom itself?

Careful to believe everything the supplier says, since they are neither on the PROVIDER end nor on the MONEY end of the supply chain. They are merely a dealer sitting between all the numerous players in the American health care system.

P.S. since Dexcom tech informs me “officially” all the time via a recorded alert that the G7 doesn’t work (or words to that effect) with the Tandem X-2 pump. Those two companies are so closely connected (esp. in tech support phone calling) that we should feel certain that Dexcom cannot force Tandem users to somehow switch pumps.

4 Likes

@WJm I know not to believe a supplier. They will want to convert people to make it easier to just carry one item. It’s just in this case I was told I would be getting an e-mail from Dexcom.

@jbowler You still can’t calibrate the Libre and it still is significantly off. That calibration factor makes the Dexcom stand out as better and different.

What I didn’t think about is the fact that Tandem and Insulet still rely on the G6. Insulet with it’s new system that really hasn’t been out that long, once they come up with a new program, they also will have to test the new G7 with their Omnipod 5 system. I would think that would take a little bit of time, Insulet has not been known for being fast at new development.

3 Likes

@Marie you cracked me up with that one! Insulet is still teasing us with an iPhone app for the Omnipod 5. Approved by FDA but available sometime next year. They certainly move at their own chosen pace.

5 Likes

They will get it approved right when the G8 gets released. :joy:

9 Likes

Ref the G6 to G7 “transition”: I usually discount stories like this from suppliers, but found this on the Danatech CDCES site: G6 discontinuation & upgrading to Dexcom G7.

My Endo must not have known when we discussed it a couple weeks ago and decided to hold off my move; but then you never no how long companies are going to take to “transition” their customers, eh?!

And here’s Dexcom’s own comments: Information on Dexcom G6 Discontinuation & Dexcom G7 Upgrading | Dexcom. Seems to leave the door open to many. I can’t help but wonder if they’ll consider use of DIY AID systems, like Loop, as valid. It would seem to put them in the precarious position of acknowledging DIY systems as valid vs FDA’s non-sanctioned status. More forthcoming, I’m sure…

2 Likes

At least you guys have the Omni 5. Here in Canada, for several years we’ve been hearing “later this year,” “early next year,” “later this year” … I figure that “cure in five years” we’ve been hearing about forever has a good chance of getting here first.

5 Likes

I just got an e-mail from Dexcom

“ Dexcom G7 now connects to the Tandem t:slim X2™pump”

You have to scroll farther down the page, but it also lists the Tandem as compatible now.

1 Like

How do you restart a Dexcom 6?

1 Like

I just got an email from Tandem yesterday telling me that they had new software that worked with the G7, and I should download it.

@marie, I agree with you about saving up G6 units. I’d prefer not to be an early adopter if I can help it. Like many of you I continue to have trouble with G6 issues, particularly at startup, but the devil you know (is better than the devil you don’t).

and for @TommyGadd - there are some classic threads around about how you restart a G6. That alone is worth the price of admission to this discussion group (attempt at humor).

4 Likes

@TommyGadd

This is a link to a video of how to restart a G6.

2 Likes

Yeah, I still calibrate the G7 once in a while, when I get a really bad sensor or maybe a really bad first 24 hours. I would really like it if AAPS had an option to calibrate the data but currently it is not offered; this is a bummer because AAPS, or xDrip+, is the right place to do it.

Mostly I don’t recalibrate a G7; it has to be going really apeshit for me to do that.

2 Likes

Just one item to remeber about G7 and Tandem… “Users with an in-warranty pump can update their pump to integrate with Dexcom G7.”

I’m out of warranty trying to determine what my next move will be.

1 Like

I just started my first G7 with my t:slim X2. I had to update the pump firmware twice, once when they told me “you are qualified for the t:slim X2 insulin pump and Dexcom G7 integration Limited Launch!” on 11/13 and again when I attempted to switch from a G6 to a G7 sensor this morning.

4 Likes

Glad to see your advise of using current G6 for awhile to build up several shipments of G7 supplies as back-up.
I would appreciate all comments from current G7 users on their opinion of pros and cons comparing G6 vs. G7!
I have read all the recommended Dexcom blurbs, but want to hear the nitty gritty from actual G7 users! Thx!!!

1 Like

This was my initial review of the G7. I have been using it since that post and stand by most of it. I can understand people’s irritation with the finicky little overpatch but I get it on right most of the time. I’ve worn it while exercising and showering twice a day and never had one fall off. It’s very accurate, warms up fast, and the grace period is a huge benefit. I don’t love the inserter and still have trouble getting the sensor exactly where I want it, but it’s usually close enough. The wonky periods in the first 24 hours are no worse than the G6 was. Occasional signal drops because of bluetooth distance happen, but are not more than an irritation. I did have one fail completely on startup the other day because of what looked like a bent sensor wire. But in general I’m satisfied with the G7 and would keep on using it even if the G6 weren’t being slowly phased out.

6 Likes

Thank you fellow D2 buddies for your personal experience with the new and improved Dexcom G7! My G7 shipment has not arrived yet and I felt the need to get your input prior to my first insertion. Thank you so much for responding to my post so promptly. This site has the BEST people!!! Hermit in Hemet Bette

5 Likes

I’m on my last G6 but sensor is still good for 2 months so yeah I’d love to have your leftovers! I’m in RI. How to proceed?