Dexcom G7 release continues (not yet US)

1 Yes. Sometimes I’ll overpatch mid sensor if it feels like its going to come off.
2 No, not really and the overall footprint is still smaller than a G6. I’d still prefer not to use the overpatch.
3 Not really. Not fewer either.
4 Ever so slight stinginess. My biggest gripe is they ask for the sensor SN, which isn’t in the app after a sensor fails, so I need to write it down or save the box in case of failure.

One other thought: My intuition tells me one of the big changes to G7 is lower cost to Dexcom (which would be why they’re pushing it so hard). I doubt they’d get immediately stingier if the cost of replacement goes down.

3 Likes

@Karl.n Thanks for the info! In response to your comment on S/N: I take pictures of both the CGM and Dash pump paper/tyvek covers, which I believe has all the info either company could want (though I recall Insulet wanting some number printed on the actual pump in light gray in about 4pt type…I had to get a magnifying glass!). I delete the pics when I put on a newer CGM/pump unless there’s been a problem with it.

1 Like

Yep, @TomH, I agree. The serial numbers are ridiculous to try and read to them. I need a magnifying glass for that.

:mag_right:

1 Like
  1. I’ve never tried it without the overpatch, but the sensor adhesive it is so small I think it would fall off more easily.
  2. I haven’t had any trouble with the overpatch. I almost never get it on “perfectly,” but it’s sized fine to touch the sensor adhesive on all sides no matter what, so having it be off-center a little hasn’t been an issue.
  3. Never really tried G6 unfortunately! On my second sensor I found out I was allergic.
  4. I ripped off a sensor in a good old doorframe scenario – the adhesive stayed in place, but the actual sensor peeled off of the adhesive! The Dexcom “contact us” form was intimidating and didn’t list my exact issue, so I called Dexcom on Saturday and had them call me back. 45 minutes later, they took the info (yes, photograph the S/N every time!) and said they’d replace it. I finally got the email that it was shipping on Thursday and would be delivered in up to 10 days… So up to two weeks from reporting the issue to replacement. Maybe not stingy, but certainly not efficient.
4 Likes

@RachelMaraii Thanks for your feedback! I’ve seen several people comment about the need for the overpatch; seems that to keep the applicator small, Dexcom used a small “circle” of adhesive then added the overpatch to fix the thing in place. It’s an approach, not necessarily a good one. I’d think people would get better at applying it over time. Ref the allergic reaction to the adhesive, you’d think with all the different products with adhesive, manufacturers would have solved that issue. I’m presume the CGM you took out on a door frame was a G7 and imagine, given it’s size (even with overpatch), that if you hit just right it’s probably inevitable it’s coming off. Ref replacement: With Dexcom, I’ve experienced everything from “We wont replace it!” to an overnighted FEDEX shipment. I’m sure it varies by the person contacted, method of contact, how the issue is presented, etc.

1 Like

True, many things to consider! Really annoying that their response varies so much, when any CGM ends up being a pretty important/helpful tool in a person’s arsenal.