Dexcom G7 finally approved by FDA

13 Likes

I hope the G6 remains available for long enough that Loop and all the other stuff can get developed for it.

I am assuming the G6 will stay available for a while, since it will probably take 12 years for Insulet to get their Omnipod 5 adapted to the G7. :joy:

Seriously, it probably costs them a ton to do all the FDA kind of stuff they need to do to integrate with the G7.

6 Likes

Thank You for sharing!

3 Likes

I’m with @Eric about the G6 staying available for awhile. While I look forward to giving the G7 a try and the physical changes in size, I’m somewhat concerned about reported connectivity issues with O5s (I don’t use them), phones (definitely do use one). While I don’t characterize myself as “tree hugger” or environmentalist, I remain somewhat concerned about the waste stream of G7 and was hoping for a much smaller less multiple plastics applicator. Perhaps the next rendition…though I’m not how many “rendition” time periods I have left in me!

@Eric Ref compatibility with Loop, the G7 portion of Loop was recently added to the -dev version and a separate build script includes it according to Marion Barker (Loop Documentation Guru). From what I can tell the G7 code should be in 3.0 release…though its been being promised for about 8 months now, I’m hopeful it’s in the offing soon.

4 Likes

Does anyone know the differences in this one, other than it being smaller?

• I know calibrations are not required, but will it still allow calibrations?
  • Is it still 10 day wear?
  • Do they still have a separate transmitter, or is it now build in? (I have heard talk about that, but I am not sure if that is in the G7 version.)
  • Do they still limit you to 2 devices connecting (one receiver or pump, one phone), like the G6 currently does?

What else?

1 Like

From all reports:
All in one unit (no sensor and transmitter)
30 min warm up (reportedly can warm one while wearing another…not confirmed),
60% smaller size,
still has calibrations,
improved accuracy (Mard of 8.2 vs 9),
12 hour grace period on lifetime end (welcome relief).

2 Likes

Here’s a user review of G7 that answers some of your questions:

4 Likes

If this means I have 12 hours after the 10 day to replace that is awesome. Right now I’m on a replacement at 2 pm which I hate. Will be nice to have a little cushion to repleace at a more convenient time for you.

5 Likes

I am super skeptical about the 3.5 minute lag time she mentioned!

I am not sure what the G6 lag time claim is, but I know in real life the lag time I personally see with the G6 is much longer than what they claim.

Currently with the G6, I often correct my BG before the Dex has even started to show it! It’s funny to be finishing a low treatment and putting the plate in the sink, and then I hear the first beep from the Dex. :joy:

But if they make the lag time faster that will be nice.

I am happy that the install part is not so oddly shaped. The cylindrical shape will hopefully make it easier to pack. Trying to pack the G6 always is awkward!

4 Likes

@John58 Thanks for posting the video. It confirms the warm up topic I wasn’t sure on regarding warming one while using another during the 12 hr grace period. Makes for continuous monitoring (I’ve noticed I often end up higher during the two hour G6 warm up).

4 Likes

Thanks @John58 and @TomH for the video and the information. This looks terrific. I don’t believe the claims about lag time (my G6s seem to be at the outer edge of that, up to 20 mins behind sometimes) but the transmitter integration, faster warmup, ability to overlap them during the warmup period, and the grace period are all superb developments. Smaller profile doesn’t hurt either. As for the applicator, nice that it’s more compact but I’ve made peace (sort of) with the disgusting amount of medical waste keeping me alive generates…

5 Likes

As far as I know Tandem C-IQ and OmniPod 5 is not able to use the G7 yet.

4 Likes

@CarlosLuis both companies have stated in investor calls that G7 integration is part of product pipeline.

5 Likes

Elsewhere:

The cogent observation from @SherryAnn is:

I was told by a Dexcom rep that the G7 will not be compatible with the OmniPod 5 “anytime soon.”

1 Like