FUDiabetes

Resetting G5 transmitter with xDrip+

I just reset my G5 transmitter with xDrip+

Had to google for instructions on how to enable Engineering Mode, then for the transmitter reset instructions. Found both and reset the transmitter. Time now shows 0 days, and the fib about the low battery has changed to OK.

3 Likes
Restarting G6 sensors and transmitter

@Randy, could you give more detailed info on your method?

A How-to would be great!

G6 transmitter reset using windows

I have switched to G6 now and this memory is fading fast . . .

1. Enable Engineering Mode, a mode designed for developers that could potentially allow you to break everything. As posted on Github:
    https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/wiki/Engineering-Mode

• From the xDrip home screen press the Treatment button [Syringe icon]
    • Now either tap the Microphone icon to speak or long press it to type text.
    • Speak or Type the command enable engineering mode

If it worked then you should see a pop-up message saying that engineering mode is enabled.

2. The rest of the instructions have also been posted by Jamorham on Github:
    [FEATURE REQUEST] Reset G5 clock timer #386
    https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/issues/386
    as follows:
    Try the 9th April nightly: (by that I assume Jamorham means any nightly xDrip update will work now.)
    -Enable engineering mode (see wiki)
    -Set up as normal
    -Enable OB1 collector in G5 debug settings
    -{Tap on the syringe icon and microphone icon}
    -Use the voice command hard reset transmitter
    -Command will be processed the next time data would be read
    -Observe the System Status tab for what is happening

These instructions worked for me and reset my G5 transmitter. It worked fine after that, but I changed to the G6 after a couple of weeks. @docslotnick has a thread up about how long transmitter life can be extended. You would have to keep a close eye on it, since you won’t get another warning when it’s about to fail.

Not sure I will even try this with the G6 I am now using.

1 Like

@Randy As of right now the G6 battery indicator is not working. But I would bet that within 3 months it will be fixed.

Full G6 integration is a work in progress, but that should be a minor inconvenience.

1 Like

@Randy, this is outstanding! I might just turn this thread into a wiki!

I am curious: why isn’t it worth it to extend the G6 transmitter?

After saying that, I will probably extend the G6 transmitter too. I want to know how to do that in case I am caught with no replacement. And for the same reason I will experiment with replacing the battery when it dies. I did that with a G4 and it eased the anxiety about getting a replacement.

But Dexcom eventually has to make some money after all their years of losses. We do want them around!

Putting the instructions in one place was in part a payback for @docslotnick’s help with my Sony watch.

Randy

2 Likes

hello…I just read your post regarding resetting the g5 transmitter. I’ve downloaded xDrip+ and followed the instructions you gave.
Questions below

1. When I’m ready to reset the transmitter I’ll have to start a new sensor session with the transmitter I want to reset, right?
  2. When the reset is complete how will I resume rec’ing data on my tandem pump. I do not own a receiver.
1 Like

Sorry to say I have no experience with the Tandem. You do have to start a new session after resetting the transmitter, but it can be with the same sensor. My Dexcom receiver just started the new session when I told it to, so maybe the Tandem will too. I would ask the Tandem support people if it does not–they must have had the question before.

Randy

1 Like

ty for responding Randy!!!

1 Like

If the t:slim won’t start with the reset transmitter, one thing to try (I’m just making this up, I have no idea whether it actually works) is change the transmitter ID by 1 number, tell the pump to start that new transmitter, and when it fails change the transmitter ID back to the right number and tell the pump to start a new session. If anyone knows if this works, or of any way that’s known to work, please chime in.

1 Like

I have just tried this, with my G6 transmitter at 77 days. (I know, most would wait until 90.)

But am using my last G6 sensor (from my Costco rebate special), which is on day 17 and getting flakey.

Just wanted to report the reset worked, and status shows 0 transmitter days. But seems this also triggered a stop and start sensor, so now in 2 hour warm up.

Screenshot showing jittery readings, but close, while G6 receiver was showing sensor error.