FUDiabetes

Resetting G5 transmitter with xDrip+

I just reset my G5 transmitter with xDrip+

Had to google for instructions on how to enable Engineering Mode, then for the transmitter reset instructions. Found both and reset the transmitter. Time now shows 0 days, and the fib about the low battery has changed to OK.

Restarting G6 sensors and transmitter

@Randy, could you give more detailed info on your method?

A How-to would be great!

I have switched to G6 now and this memory is fading fast . . .

1. Enable Engineering Mode, a mode designed for developers that could potentially allow you to break everything. As posted on Github:
    https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/wiki/Engineering-Mode

• From the xDrip home screen press the Treatment button [Syringe icon]
    • Now either tap the Microphone icon to speak or long press it to type text.
    • Speak or Type the command enable engineering mode

If it worked then you should see a pop-up message saying that engineering mode is enabled.

2. The rest of the instructions have also been posted by Jamorham on Github:
    [FEATURE REQUEST] Reset G5 clock timer #386
    https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/issues/386
    as follows:
    Try the 9th April nightly: (by that I assume Jamorham means any nightly xDrip update will work now.)
    -Enable engineering mode (see wiki)
    -Set up as normal
    -Enable OB1 collector in G5 debug settings
    -{Tap on the syringe icon and microphone icon}
    -Use the voice command hard reset transmitter
    -Command will be processed the next time data would be read
    -Observe the System Status tab for what is happening

These instructions worked for me and reset my G5 transmitter. It worked fine after that, but I changed to the G6 after a couple of weeks. @docslotnick has a thread up about how long transmitter life can be extended. You would have to keep a close eye on it, since you won’t get another warning when it’s about to fail.

Not sure I will even try this with the G6 I am now using.

@Randy As of right now the G6 battery indicator is not working. But I would bet that within 3 months it will be fixed.

Full G6 integration is a work in progress, but that should be a minor inconvenience.

@Randy, this is outstanding! I might just turn this thread into a wiki!

I am curious: why isn’t it worth it to extend the G6 transmitter?

After saying that, I will probably extend the G6 transmitter too. I want to know how to do that in case I am caught with no replacement. And for the same reason I will experiment with replacing the battery when it dies. I did that with a G4 and it eased the anxiety about getting a replacement.

But Dexcom eventually has to make some money after all their years of losses. We do want them around!

Putting the instructions in one place was in part a payback for @docslotnick’s help with my Sony watch.

Randy

hello…I just read your post regarding resetting the g5 transmitter. I’ve downloaded xDrip+ and followed the instructions you gave.
Questions below

1. When I’m ready to reset the transmitter I’ll have to start a new sensor session with the transmitter I want to reset, right?
  2. When the reset is complete how will I resume rec’ing data on my tandem pump. I do not own a receiver.

Sorry to say I have no experience with the Tandem. You do have to start a new session after resetting the transmitter, but it can be with the same sensor. My Dexcom receiver just started the new session when I told it to, so maybe the Tandem will too. I would ask the Tandem support people if it does not–they must have had the question before.

Randy

ty for responding Randy!!!

If the t:slim won’t start with the reset transmitter, one thing to try (I’m just making this up, I have no idea whether it actually works) is change the transmitter ID by 1 number, tell the pump to start that new transmitter, and when it fails change the transmitter ID back to the right number and tell the pump to start a new session. If anyone knows if this works, or of any way that’s known to work, please chime in.