Restarting G6 sensors and transmitter

It works using a similar technology to the G5, they have just improved it a bit. They could have gone from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 system, i.e. measuring hydrogen peroxide, to directly scavenging the electrons from the FAD centers in the enzyme.

All that is required to not have to calibrate is to have a system that is linear through the entire human physiologic range, and they have probably found a coating that does a better job at keeping the linearity and improves the response.

4 Likes

Based on the removal of the acetaminophen restriction, I took that to mean the coating on the G6 sensor changed.

Although perhaps that could have been done in ways other than a coating?

3 Likes

If it is still a Gen 1 sensor, then it is a coating that excludes.

If it is a Gen 2 sensor they could have found a conducting agent that works below the point where Acetaminophen is oxidized on the electrode.

2 Likes

Device: Dexcom G6 CGM System
Principle of Operation
Amperometric measurement of current proportional to glucose concentration in interstitial fluid via glucose oxidase chemical reaction

Test Principle:
The Dexcom G6 Glucose Program CGM System detects glucose levels from the fluid just beneath the skin (interstitial fluid). The sensor probe continuously measures glucose concentration in the interstitial fluid via an enzymatic electrochemical reaction using glucose oxidase. The enzyme, glucose oxidase, catalyzes the oxidation of glucose and produces hydrogen peroxide. The production of hydrogen peroxide generates an electrical current that is proportionate to the interstitial glucose concentration. The transmitter converts the signal using an algorithm to a glucose value read in mg/dL, which is then transmitted to the receiver for the user to see and use accordingly.

@Chris
Does this indicate still Gen 1 system as you previously describe or is it still indeterminate?

1 Like

@Thomas, that indicates Gen 1, so they have just improved the coating system. When they go Gen 2, they can pick up a whole other level of improvements. So I would think there is still more good improvements to come.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Resetting G5 transmitter with xDrip+

I had been prepared to restart my G6 using the Dexcom Receiver (Option 1 in K.DiSimone’s blog), but I had preemptive restart set in Xdrip+, and when the 10 days were up, it asked me to enter two Calibrations, and after I did that it restarted the sensor and I’m still running with it now. So I can confirm Xdrip+ restart works well with G6, and is automatic other than entering the calibrations.

Couple of questions:

Will this work only for the first restart, or will it continue to restart until I remove the sensor (assuming it hasn’t given up the ghost or fallen off before then)?

How do I know when I should remove the sensor - what does the failure mode look like? Inaccurate readings that can’t be corrected with Calibrations or something else?

Is it typical to require two Calibrations on each restart? Or is that because I had never done any Calibrations prior to this (it didn’t ask for one, or if it did I ignored it when I first started running using the Dexcom Receiver). Is it asking for two calibrations at the same time to get an average or range of two different BG tests?

2 Likes

@jag1 Yes, you can restart the sensor the same way as many times as you like, but I don’t think it will ask you again. The two calibrations are there because in restart the sensor is not on automatic calibration mode. You will have to do twice daily calibrations like the G5.

I generally go 10-14 days with the G5. I know when to change sensors when the readings get excessively “noisy” (not a smooth line).

3 Likes

Maybe Calibrations are only required on restart? My restart was done on 1/1 at 9pm, and since then I’ve gotten only one Calibration request. I ignored it without obvious ill effects (still getting BG updates). I can see Calibrating when numbers seem off, but is there a reason I should enter a Calibration when it asks, when my numbers are already tracking pretty well with my meter?

12 days in so far and it still seems stable. I just turned off option for “Smooth Sensor Noise” in case that was making my results seem more stable than they really are to see whether the sensor reading are “noisy”, though that didn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve had to tape around the sensor since the outer bandage is loosening. Dexcom said they would send me some “overpatches”, but I haven’t gotten them yet.

2 Likes

@jag1 Actually, calibrations with xDrip+ are pretty optional. There’s even re n an option in the settings to use previous calibration data if no other is available.

To me, it’s pretty obvious when the readings get so noisy that a sensor change is in order. Even though I have “smooth sensor noise” checked.

And with G6, calibration is only required on restarted sensors.

2 Likes

When I am looking at the G6 data on the Dexcom Follow App, it is also obvious to me.

I am not good at describing it but you know it when you see it.

4 Likes

What do you mean it “just does everything automatically”? I discovered XDRIP+ today and installed it on my phone. None of the menus offer anything having to do with resetting either a sensor or a transmitter. Do you know some secret the rest of us have never heard of?

@Vashon In settings>> G5/G6 Debug you will see " restart sensor", “pre emptive restarts”. Those are both G6 settings that should be checked. Also check “G6 support”. The transmitter is not restarted. It just keeps going until the battery is dead.

And it’s there for everybody to see :grin:

1 Like

OK, but I keep seeing post after post that it is possible to reset the transmitter (the length of time it has been in service, which causes my Dexcom Receiver to reject it - I cannot afford an iPhone and my Android is not able to interface with my G6). Which is what I want to do - continue using the transmitter until the battery dies… Many have claimed it is easily achievable but nobody gives a description of how to do it. (other than a reference to compiling an app using Xcode on a Mac and then uploading the app to iPhone which I do not have)
So the statements I see that xdrip+ can “reset the transmitter” are false?

1 Like

I’ll let Doc give you the real answer since I haven’t done it yet, but I think the answer is that the statement that Xdrip+ will reset the transmitter is indeed false - instead Xdrip+ will just continue to use an expired transmitter after it has timed out.

I don’t see why you can’t use Xdrip+ though. You said you installed it on your phone, but that your Android phone is not able to interface with your G6. Why is that? I am running on an old phone (Moto E 2nd generation) with an old version of Android (5.1), and it runs fine. If it won’t run on your phone, you should be able to get a crappy old phone like mine for really cheap on ebay.

2 Likes

@Vashon @jag1 is right. The stopping of the transmitter is built into the Dexcom receiver and Dexcom app. XDrip+ does not have the “stop” software, so the transmitter does not know it should stop. Hence, you just keep using the transmitter u.til the battery really dies with xDrip+, not when Dexcom tells you to stop using that transmitter. No “restarting” is needed-- it just keeps going.

I used a G5 transmitter for almost 200 days, twice as long as Dexcom says it should last. Using xDrip+ it just keeps going.

Also, if you set up xDrip+ correctly on your phone, it will work with your G6.

2 Likes

We just tried this method last night. Worked great. No problems.
The only deviation we made from the directions as provided above by @Jattzl was we initiated the stop session (on the original session) about 4 or 5 hours prior to when the session was scheduled to hit the 10-day limit and stop by itself.

Immediately upon receiving G6 cgm data after the 2-hr warm-up from the restart, we checked the cgm data against a meter (Contour Next One) and it was right on.

Typically we only get 8~9 days from a sensor so this is turning into a longer sensor life than typical for us. This is now day #11 on the G6 sensor although the data is getting shaky so we will probably cut it off soon and go with a new sensor.

In any event, it was a good opportunity to try out the new G6 Sensor restart process.

Thanks @Jattzl !!!

6 Likes

I"m still curious what a failing sensor looks like. If you could post a pic of the results you’re getting when you decide to pull the plug, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

The issue is that you have to screen snap the data on the phone app because once it gets loaded into clarity the data doesn’t look the same.

What happens to us is when we have a failing sensor is the data gets cloudy. i.e. when in the past there was a very tight range and the line made sense, you will get a bigger range of values, the trend will still be there, but the line gets “cloudy” for lack of a better term.

1 Like

I’m glad you had success with this process. I am on day 16!

I also did a meter test as it restarted and it was right on and still is.

I also go until it gets wonky and then replace it with a new sensor.

Good to know, thank you!. There are times I need to stop it early and wasn’t sure if it would work.

Also, I hope this was the correct thread for my original post. It seems to be focused mostly on the x drip???

2 Likes