Restarting G6 sensors and transmitter

HELP! I am an Android user. I extend my sensors via the SeeMyCGM instructions. (I use a Faraday bag and just run the reset on my receiver every Sunday night so it is reset Monday morning a few minutes after I take the receiver out of the bag. Then, the receiver gets shut off and stays in the Faraday bag until the following Sunday night.)

What I have NOT been able to do is find a way to reset the transmitter counter. The G6 app has been EXTREMELY accurate but Xdrip has not so I just want to reset the counter to be able to have a ā€œspareā€ transmitter in case something goes wrong, which seems to always happen on my 2nd transmitter. I have an ipad but no other apple devices. Does anybody know of where I can get instructions on how to reset the counter, maybe with just an ipad?
Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Okay, this is kinda weird, providing a solution to my own post, but my son is going to bring over an old iPhone that he replaced and I should be able to use that along with my ipad. (Anybody see anything wrong with that?)

By the way, I am happy to help anybody with the sensor restart. It turns out that is easy, flawless, schedulable and you lose no readings in the process. I do recommend calibrating beyond a couple of weeks, though, as the sensor does drift. It realigns after calibration, though.

3 Likes

You are way ahead of me, @chucklejeff. I just got my G6 a little over a week ago and just figured out how to see when it will expire. :grin: However, I hope to be doing all of this soon enough and will bookmark this for when Iā€™m ready. I could use all the help I can get. :grin:

1 Like

@chucklejeff If you are averse to xDrip+ because of any real or perceived accuracy issues, just run the xDrip+ collector in ā€œnativeā€ mode. This takes the exact same calibration data right from the transmitter that a Dexcom receiver gets. So it cannot give anything but identical results.

2 Likes

I also tried the 2nd option, and it worked for me too. :slight_smile: I think the G6 is absolutely wonderful. Iā€™ve only used it for a little over a week, and itā€™s been more accurate than the G5. I donā€™t really understand how it works because Iā€™ve never once had to calibrate it. My understanding of the G5 is that it tracked changes in interstitial fluid but didnā€™t ever actually test my bg. Since I never calibrated the G6, it must work differently. Does anyone know how it works???

After the first day itā€™s been within 10 mg/dl every time Iā€™ve tested. It seems to follow my bg more closely than the G5 did when Iā€™m rising or falling too.

Itā€™s lasted the full 10 days, and I just restarted it. Iā€™m hoping it will stick for another 3 days. I considered 2 weeks to be a success with my G5 sensors. Iā€™ve been surprised it has stuck on as well as it has because Iā€™ve read otherā€™s reports that it didnā€™t stick as well.

I really, really love the G6. My only complaint is that the inserter is huge. I recently flew across the country for a few days, and I managed to stash two sensors in my carry-on luggage along with everything else Iā€™d need (no need to check luggage), so I probably shouldnā€™t complain too much about the size.

I just thought Iā€™d post in case anyone was considering switching to the G6. All the negative reviews Iā€™ve read made me hesitant to switch, but Iā€™m really glad I did. Itā€™s working wonders for me so far.

I suppose Iā€™m only on my first sensor (after first restart), so weā€™ll see if I start to experience any problems with the next few.

5 Likes

I found a new easier way of extending the G6 sensor. I do it all on my iPhone. I use my Tslim X2 as my other receiver and it just follows along. No need to do anything with it.

Wait until your sensor expires.

-Start session and choose NO CODE

-Set timer for 15 minutes and let session ā€˜warm upā€™ for the 15 minutes.

-Stop session

-Start session WITH the code of the current sensor youā€™re wearing.

-Thatā€™s it! It will take 2 hours to do its thing! You will see where the session expiration date resets in 10 days after the 2 hours.

2 Likes

It works using a similar technology to the G5, they have just improved it a bit. They could have gone from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 system, i.e. measuring hydrogen peroxide, to directly scavenging the electrons from the FAD centers in the enzyme.

All that is required to not have to calibrate is to have a system that is linear through the entire human physiologic range, and they have probably found a coating that does a better job at keeping the linearity and improves the response.

4 Likes

Based on the removal of the acetaminophen restriction, I took that to mean the coating on the G6 sensor changed.

Although perhaps that could have been done in ways other than a coating?

3 Likes

If it is still a Gen 1 sensor, then it is a coating that excludes.

If it is a Gen 2 sensor they could have found a conducting agent that works below the point where Acetaminophen is oxidized on the electrode.

2 Likes

Device: Dexcom G6 CGM System
Principle of Operation
Amperometric measurement of current proportional to glucose concentration in interstitial fluid via glucose oxidase chemical reaction

Test Principle:
The Dexcom G6 Glucose Program CGM System detects glucose levels from the fluid just beneath the skin (interstitial fluid). The sensor probe continuously measures glucose concentration in the interstitial fluid via an enzymatic electrochemical reaction using glucose oxidase. The enzyme, glucose oxidase, catalyzes the oxidation of glucose and produces hydrogen peroxide. The production of hydrogen peroxide generates an electrical current that is proportionate to the interstitial glucose concentration. The transmitter converts the signal using an algorithm to a glucose value read in mg/dL, which is then transmitted to the receiver for the user to see and use accordingly.

@Chris
Does this indicate still Gen 1 system as you previously describe or is it still indeterminate?

1 Like

@Thomas, that indicates Gen 1, so they have just improved the coating system. When they go Gen 2, they can pick up a whole other level of improvements. So I would think there is still more good improvements to come.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Resetting G5 transmitter with xDrip+

I had been prepared to restart my G6 using the Dexcom Receiver (Option 1 in K.DiSimoneā€™s blog), but I had preemptive restart set in Xdrip+, and when the 10 days were up, it asked me to enter two Calibrations, and after I did that it restarted the sensor and Iā€™m still running with it now. So I can confirm Xdrip+ restart works well with G6, and is automatic other than entering the calibrations.

Couple of questions:

Will this work only for the first restart, or will it continue to restart until I remove the sensor (assuming it hasnā€™t given up the ghost or fallen off before then)?

How do I know when I should remove the sensor - what does the failure mode look like? Inaccurate readings that canā€™t be corrected with Calibrations or something else?

Is it typical to require two Calibrations on each restart? Or is that because I had never done any Calibrations prior to this (it didnā€™t ask for one, or if it did I ignored it when I first started running using the Dexcom Receiver). Is it asking for two calibrations at the same time to get an average or range of two different BG tests?

2 Likes

@jag1 Yes, you can restart the sensor the same way as many times as you like, but I donā€™t think it will ask you again. The two calibrations are there because in restart the sensor is not on automatic calibration mode. You will have to do twice daily calibrations like the G5.

I generally go 10-14 days with the G5. I know when to change sensors when the readings get excessively ā€œnoisyā€ (not a smooth line).

3 Likes

Maybe Calibrations are only required on restart? My restart was done on 1/1 at 9pm, and since then Iā€™ve gotten only one Calibration request. I ignored it without obvious ill effects (still getting BG updates). I can see Calibrating when numbers seem off, but is there a reason I should enter a Calibration when it asks, when my numbers are already tracking pretty well with my meter?

12 days in so far and it still seems stable. I just turned off option for ā€œSmooth Sensor Noiseā€ in case that was making my results seem more stable than they really are to see whether the sensor reading are ā€œnoisyā€, though that didnā€™t seem to make a difference. Iā€™ve had to tape around the sensor since the outer bandage is loosening. Dexcom said they would send me some ā€œoverpatchesā€, but I havenā€™t gotten them yet.

2 Likes

@jag1 Actually, calibrations with xDrip+ are pretty optional. Thereā€™s even re n an option in the settings to use previous calibration data if no other is available.

To me, itā€™s pretty obvious when the readings get so noisy that a sensor change is in order. Even though I have ā€œsmooth sensor noiseā€ checked.

And with G6, calibration is only required on restarted sensors.

2 Likes

When I am looking at the G6 data on the Dexcom Follow App, it is also obvious to me.

I am not good at describing it but you know it when you see it.

4 Likes

What do you mean it ā€œjust does everything automaticallyā€? I discovered XDRIP+ today and installed it on my phone. None of the menus offer anything having to do with resetting either a sensor or a transmitter. Do you know some secret the rest of us have never heard of?

@Vashon In settings>> G5/G6 Debug you will see " restart sensor", ā€œpre emptive restartsā€. Those are both G6 settings that should be checked. Also check ā€œG6 supportā€. The transmitter is not restarted. It just keeps going until the battery is dead.

And itā€™s there for everybody to see :grin:

1 Like

OK, but I keep seeing post after post that it is possible to reset the transmitter (the length of time it has been in service, which causes my Dexcom Receiver to reject it - I cannot afford an iPhone and my Android is not able to interface with my G6). Which is what I want to do - continue using the transmitter until the battery diesā€¦ Many have claimed it is easily achievable but nobody gives a description of how to do it. (other than a reference to compiling an app using Xcode on a Mac and then uploading the app to iPhone which I do not have)
So the statements I see that xdrip+ can ā€œreset the transmitterā€ are false?

1 Like