Nicky's Chip Challenge

Oh, that would be fantastic. :hugs: That will definitey make today easier. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Okay. Here it is.

You have to promise me that if you feel any pain, or any kind of twinge in your hip,
you will stop.

Do 3 repeats:

• Run 3/4 mile at 8:34 pace (7.0 mph)
  • Run 1/4 mile at 7:30 pace (8.0 mph)

Keep a very high cadence. Protect yourself. If you feel anything weird, you need to stop.

When you are done, tell me how you feel. Tell me everything you feel, both physically and mentally.

I would like to share with everyone what I said would happen before we did this.

I wanted to go on record with it and have it “notarized” before we started any of this. So I sent Chris a PM with my prediction before we started any of this chip stuff.

@Chris, can you share the PM I sent you about this yesterday?

And @T1Allison, @elver, @glitzabetes, @Pianoplayer7008, @TravelingOn, @Michel, @docslotnick, @Thomas, @Beacher, I want you all to see it too, since you were participating in this thread.

4 Likes

Sure @Eric, Here is what was sent to me prior to the start of the Chip Challenge:

11/27/18

Nicky,
I do not believe you will fail. I have full faith in what you can do. I know exactly how you will manage the chip challenge. You will succeed.

I believe in your strength completely. I believe in you 100%.

But I want you to believe in yourself with the same fervor that I believe in you. You do not have to prove a thing to me. You just have to prove it to yourself.

And I know you will do that. Look at the date. On 11/27/18 I am saying that I believe in you, and I know that you will succeed. It’s all about motivation. That’s really all the disease comes down to. Nothing else.

Thanks Chris!
Eric

P.S.
I do not believe any of the stuff about women being weak, or you not being strong enough to do this. It’s all about motivation. :wink:

I know you will eventually figure this out and forgive me. I hope everyone else will too.

8 Likes

@Eric,

Still thinking Jack Nicholson.

I am incredibly amused by all of this.

I knew you were too smart to be that Blatantly sexist. I figured that if you were sexist at all (which I patently don’t believe that you are), you’d still be too smart to be that publicly stupid. :grin:

I understand if you are blushing from all of those compliments I just laid out there. Revel in it, man.

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t take that part seriously. You’d likely get your butt whooped if any of us women thought that wasn’t staged. :rofl:

The part you got me on was the prediction. I genuinely didn’t know what you thought I could do, so this part

Almost got a tear. Almost. But so did your recommendation of my running 12 fast miles on my day off… :rofl:

I didn’t eat the chips last night, I haven’t eaten them today, and all of this will be too fresh for me to even think about them tonight. But my brain is quite good at trickery, and when this all fades… it’ll boil down to a simple choice again. So I appreciate your helping me to do this thinking. And in front of you all. I do this thinking regularly, but there aren’t usually so many of us in my head. :grin:

The chips are not okay. When I eat chips at night, my blood sugar often goes, and remains, above a 400. When I fight back with big boluses, I wake up to dangerous lows. Truly. If this were poison I were trying to cut out, I’d have no problem seeing how sick it makes me and being done. I need to do that with this.

And I didn’t run, @Eric. Just so you know. I decided a dance would be good for me, too. But I still had thoughts … mostly I can’t believe I almost fell for that running crap and well, at least I’m not running, but also ones about how I can do this with the chips— or without the chips I should say.

Thanks for being a good friend. :two_hearts:

6 Likes

Right? I actually am offended that he thought we couldn’t tell the difference. :rofl:

2 Likes

OMG you are my spirit animal, @Nickyghaleb!!! ROFL

3 Likes

Depends on your perspective… but I think it will be fun for me.

Is that your local slang for getting a bad case of the shi*s?

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t respond to any of this yesterday. I was in the middle of some serious stuff with my DN.

Wasn’t Jack Nicholson the bad guy in that movie?

1 Like

I mean, the way Aaron Sorkin wrote it, yes.

But he still made valid points. And it’s a fantastic scene.

And when you go all “I’m not acknowledging you bc I’m working on the bigger picture”, it’s fun to see what all you refuse to respond to.

There was a lot going on with this yesterday.

Sometimes these threads are like a cat with a ball of yard. I was focusing on DN yesterday and nothing else.

My Nicky is on the same page with me, and I am happy about that. She had a great day.

2 Likes

@Eric, yet my sarcasm and joy lives on! :grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

Party’s over now. All the fun stuff was last night. Now it’s just me and the chips again. Well, us and my pride. Which is just hanging around like a fifth wheel… making it all really awkward.

:rofl::rofl::sob::rofl::laughing:

Okay. That was funny.

Domino’s in my town does! We just had a discussion about it last week!

Although I can’t recommend their crispy crust pizza, because it’s gross IMO. EH loved it though AND it was a pretty manageable BG curve too, for pizza anyhow. (Yes, all of those have gluten, if you were wondering. I’m in the middle of a gluten challenge before getting endoscopy in case you were curious and/or judging. Dominos was a bit of a waste of gluten, should’ve just had a donut! :rofl:)

1 Like

@docslotnick, another anchovy fan here!

Spain is paradise for anchovy eaters. Come visit before we leave! They even have different names for anchovies prepared in different ways.

@Nickyghaleb, I am offering this aside to take your mind off the chocolate chips.

3 Likes

Always, Eric. Except for when you’re wrong and are on the wrong page, but always when you’re right. :grin:

I appreciated the message I got from you today about the running. You offered up a run to help me through today, and I declined and made my usual jokes. However, when you talked to me about what you were hoping I’d get from that run, it really tapped into something I haven’t thought or felt before. So I thought I’d put it in here on record in case I forget it all (or deny it all) down the road. :grin:

So you said:
How do you feel when you’re done with the chips?

And I said:
crappy, demoralized, defeated, mad. If I didn’t say disappointed, I should’ve. That one’s huge.

You said:
Like you can’t? Like you can’t stop yourself? Like you’re not capable? Like you’re weak?

Me:
Yup.

Then you explained the run you had wanted me to take… which was not 12 miles. Just a hard (for me) 3. You had wanted me to push and get through it as a contrast to all of those emotions up there. As soon as you started explaining it though, I started thinking of how running feels and told you I could imagine all of those feelings and understood what you were talking about.

You:
So how do you feel at the end of a run?

Me:
Capable. Strong. Even if it gets hard, I know I will get through it. I know I won’t quit.

And that was it. All of it was it, but that piece was new. How can I be Nicky who knows she can’t AND Nicky who knows she can? There’s nothing wrong with that part of me; I call on it everyday. And this is no different than a long uphill against a strong wind.

I kind of hope no one is reading this all the way down here. I like to write about meaningful things in my life, and this is a big one— I could put it in a notebook and put it away, but why? I’ve been struggling with my relationship with food since the day I was diagnosed with diabetes. I don’t think I’ve been cured of the struggle, but I’ve got a new weapon, and it’s a really good one.

We are on the same page, Eric. And I really have had a great day.

So not exactly Yoda… but close. :wink:

6 Likes

And it’s working really well. :grin:

You do know what anchovies are, right??

If you want to talk about caviar and sardines, too, it would pretty much seal the deal. :grin:

1 Like

Omg, @Nickyghaleb … !!! I can’t find the words!

OK, I can, but for that I have to switch to French (don’t laugh now @Nickyghaleb) to quote the British (!!!): “Honi soit qui mal y pense!”

Thank goodness for Google translator and my ability to translate this without having to locate a Frenchman…

And according to that… when you said,

You were actually saying…”Honi be who thinks badly!”

:thinking:

1 Like