Hello, Dexcom. :D

Skin tac is mentioned on dexcom website, with reference for use with G4 for children. Says to put skin tac down first, then apply sensor.

If approved for children, should be ok for adults too!

2 Likes

That you were not supposed to use any kind of adhesive where you would be inserting. You could do it in a circle around it but not in the center. I use the Skin Tac wipe, and it’s hardly worth all of this discussion. I could maybe understand with the bottle only because it can be a much bigger amount, but the wipe— it’s like using an alcohol wipe.

Thank you for looking, @MM2!! That was very nice and makes me feel better. So I’ll continue using it and will mention it again, if need be, with confidence. :heart:

If skin tac is applied before, it should be applied around where sensor needle goes in. (Per website). I would find that challenging to know for sure, so I apply on tape after insertion.

1 Like

Okay, so this is probably what she was referring to, but… that’s hard. I suppose you could circle something with a pen, but how ridiculous. I have been using Skin Tac with my Guardian and where I put my infusion sets for some time. It’s a negligible amount, but it usually just helps buy me another couple of days. Maybe I’ll call Dexcom to see if they have something to say or have my mom call— if I can trick her into it. :grin:

1 Like

Hopefully some of this will help … you or someone else who passes on by.

I use skin tac, our of the bottle, like @MM2, but for my OmniPod. I apply it to my skin, then to the back of the pod. I wait for about 30 seconds then place the pod. More often than not, I’m prying the pod off, when it’s time for a change.

I didn’t have as much luck with the dexcom. I think it is because I get 14 to 30+ days out of one sensor. Trial and error brought me to Tegaderm. I used to place Tegaderm over the dex, but for the past three-four years I place Dex on top of the Tegaderm. I place a Tegaderm dressing on my belly (the only place I have put Dex) then I place the dexcom on top of the Tegaderm. No hole cut into the center, just directly on top. I think this works for me because there is a larger surface area with the Tegaderm. I have stretch marks on my belly (from my three kids!) and the dexcom alone doesn’t get enough “solid” surface, like it does with the Tegaderm. I think the Tegaderm, being thinner than the tape for the Dex, more flexible, and that it is larger, it just adheres better. I don’t use any skin tac with Dex and I rarely have had one come up on me. Maybe three times in five plus years. It looks the same in 30 plus days as it does on day one.

When I wore my OmniPod on my belly, I didn’t use the Tegaderm, but the OmniPod is changed after three days and at day two it was already coming off, on my belly. That doesn’t happen now that I am using my arms, legs, hips,… anywhere but my belly - which is another story, in and of itself! LOL

@Nickyghaleb I really enjoy your posts, your helpfulness, your attitude, and your fortitude. Thank you for all of it! One of my favorites was when you were posting in the “Chip Challenge” … I have to go look … yep, found it…

I still laugh today when I think about what you said in this post, and so many others, lol Nicky's Chip Challenge - #79 by Nickyghaleb

Blockquote: “I do this thinking regularly, but there aren’t usually so many of us in my head. :grin:

If anyone can get Dex to stick, I am confident that you will succeed!

3 Likes

For the dex sensors I usually put Skin Tac down in kind of a broad oval-ish shape, leaving a patch about the size of the transmitter in the middle with no Skin Tac on it and inserting through there. The Skin Tac leaves kind of a shiny look on the arm that I use to help me aim for the bare spot.

I used to just put Skin Tac under every part of the sensors without issues but then I think I saw people on Youtube doing the oval thing so I started copying them. They were so careful about leaving the bare spot that I assumed there must be something to it but I don’t know whether inserting through the Skin Tac could actually cause any issues.

2 Likes

I will give this a try on my next insertion, and see how it performs compared to over the top application.
Just checked my bottle of skin-tac… Expired in 2014, but still working just as well as when first purchased.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Tapestry, for all the nice things you said. :heart:

1 Like

Or you can wipe your SkinTac on the sensor adhesive before you apply it, which means you get the doughnut shape but it’s from the adhesive, not on your skin, if that makes sense. (I tried a few times putting a ring on the skin first but with one eye and poor depth perception it wasn’t that accurate for me and was my shortest-lived sensor.) And then I wipe the wipe over the top of the adhesive so it’s on both sides, a tip I read here but I honestly couldn’t say whether it helps. And then I use TacAway to get all the sticky guck off my fingers. I put tape around the sensor after the first week and it seems to last forever. Right now I’m on week 6 and everything is still holding.

2 Likes

Brilliant. :hugs: I read this last night and remembered to do it this morning. My adhesive went on so flat and even, it looked like it was ironed on. Thanks for the tip.:blush:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone’s insertion hurt? This is the second one I couldn’t even feel. My Guardian inserter makes a big clunking sound and it often feels like I’m being stabbed, and my Libre I thought was painless… but not on this level. Have I just gotten really lucky?

2 Likes

I’ve always used a Skin Tac wipe with the Dexcom sensors, and I’ve always just wiped the whole area (back of my arms) before placing the sensor. I don’t leave a blank spot for the needle. I’ve never had any infections or consistent problems with the sensor, and it usually stays on for a couple of weeks. Frequent swimming can make it fall off a few days early though.

I use the G5 though. My transmitter will fail in 2 weeks, and I’ll be starting the G6. I’ll probably use the same method though at first. If I have problems with my sites, then I may try some of the suggestions on here. I’m crossing my fingers that everything goes well though.

3 Likes

Don’t know if you do Skin Tac, but @Beacher’s recommendation to just wipe down the adhesive was brilliant. I got to go all wipe happy and not worry that I was making a fatal mistake… because that’s now my new fear. :grin: Anyway.

Are you running?? Because it’s been mighty quiet on the running front… :thinking:

:grin:

2 Likes

After upping my exercise too much too soon, I ended up with shoulder issues (swimming) and leg issues (running). I actually had to stop doing much of anything for 2-3 weeks.

I’m back to 2-3 times a week swimming now though. On the weeks when I swim twice, I’ve been hiking on the weekends. Last weekend the hike was ~7 miles with a decent amount of elevation (nothing crazy though). Went fairly well until the last half hour. I had to take a short break for my body to digest the starburst. It was nearly freezing outside for most of the hike, and it seemed like I just stopped digesting the food I was snacking on at the end. When it’s hot, hikes spike my blood sugars. The opposite has happened in the cold. I have to snack the whole time.

I’m not really sure if my weight has changed. I don’t weigh myself often because it doesn’t seem to be that helpful. I’ve cut back on beer (wine instead :wink: a little less often). Eating healthy consistently is hard during the holidays, so I’ll be content if my weight just stays the same until January. Of course, then I’ll have to deal with all the new years resolution folks crowding the gym until March. :roll_eyes:

I may pick up running again during the new years resolution craze when the pool is crowded, but I’d probably be more likely to use the elliptical. It seems to be easier on my body, and as long as I bump up the resistance, I get a good workout.

Oh, so sorry to hear it! I had no idea. :slightly_frowning_face:

The hiking sounds great though and the swimming, too. I hope you take your time and ease back into whatever feels good. And I think I’d try not to worry about weight too much— or you might be right back where you were, upping that exercise again against better judgment.

Okay then. Change of plans. My mom wants me in the pool even though I don’t want to be in the pool. However, it would make her very, very happy, and it could still fulfill our co-training dream. :grin: So you get in and do your thing, and know I’m gonna make myself do it over here, too. Just much, much slower. You’re on your own with the elliptical though… that thing reminds me of an animal leaping through tall grass. :thinking:

1 Like

I haven’t checked in on your running thread for awhile (life gets in the way). I’m sorry you can’t run right now, but I’ll def be your swimming buddy in the meantime :slight_smile:

:swimming_woman::swimming_woman:

1 Like

Oh, I’m running, baby. :grin:

But the best choice for me now is to keep it steady and supplement it in the pool— I’ve gotta keep an eye on the same dangers with doing it all too fast. I’m invincible once I “caffeine stack” enough, but it never turns out well. :grin:

Anyway, swimming partners until the stars realign, and then we’ll choose the next path. :hugs:

1 Like

Huge difference from the older insertion devices from the Dexcom G4/G5 (and older) systems and the completely redesigned inserter for the G6 system.

First G6 system we put on, my T1 thought it didn’t work because there was literally nothing felt. Subsequent ones were felt but nothing like the older G4/G5 inserters. The G6 insertion system is really nice.

2 Likes

I’d say. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

So I’ve lost track… are you doing dexcom G6, guardian 3, Libre AND 670 wo auto mode ?

Did you consider Tandem offer for $999 to get a “loaner” Slim basal IQ, for the time remaining on your medtronic pump?

I would consider this if I had more warranty time, and confidence with insurance for T-slim supplies. But not sure what my insurance will be after July.

2 Likes