New BlueJay GTS Watch!

Just saying, but a good orchestra will just incorporate the beeps on the fly. Maybe you were at a sub-par orchestra that would have been annoyed.

3 Likes

No, I would have been annoyed that I let my ‘betes bother others.

2 Likes

The watch is BASIC, and that is exactly WHY I love this thing!
It tells me my BG, it tells me the time, and it now wakes me up via an alarm!
Not really much else I want from it, and it does it right!

BTW, anytime you are not getting your readings, something is acting weird, etc. Just turn it off, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on. And if you don’t know, just hold the button on the side long enough for it to power on/off.

Oh, and I have stopped taking my phone around with me everywhere. This watch does what I need.

4 Likes

Maybe @Eric should fieldtest this theorem the next time the local orchestra plays Wagner’s “Flight of the Valkyries”.

3 Likes

The point I was trying to make is that there are always ridiculous people who are letting their cellphone disturb a quiet setting, because they forgot to turn their phones to silent mode.

I hear it all the time at things like movie theaters, church, weddings, etc.

I don’t want to be one of those idiots. The fact that I could never guarantee my Dexcom was going to remain quiet was irritating to me. But the BlueJay solves that problem. No 'betes noise. I am a big fan of it.

5 Likes

Hi guys…I’m back again. Received my watch and trouble already​:rofl::rofl:

The link for the APK file won’t work. It says I need to download and install this. Any ideas? Have you a link for one that might work??
Thanks again

1 Like

I got my watch😊 but the APK file that I need to download and install isn’t working… any ideas?

Tia

1 Like

Unfortunately I haven’t used anything besides the preinstalled watch image. I assume the watch works stand alone?

1 Like

Ok. But with the watch instructions is says I’ve to download and install an APK file

But doesn’t seem to want to work. Am I doing something or reading it wrong?

1 Like

APK on the watch? It will do it on it’s own as long as it’s got connection with your phone, internet. It takes quite a while though…
It is under the Enable phone link. Make sure it is enabled to interface with xdrip on your phone.
If you don’t run xdrip on your phone, or never want it to connect, then disable this for better battery life.
Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking.

2 Likes

The watch will work fully stand alone.

2 Likes

Yes, mine worked fully stand alone out of the box.

@Dubdave If yours didn’t turn on after being charged out of the box, I would look into returning it.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me. I think we’re ok. The problem I was having is that to link it to your phone you need to download the APK file. I didn’t need to link it to the phone, but panicked when the file wouldn’t download. I have it up and running now so it’ll be interesting to see how it goes
Thanks again

2 Likes

Can you walk me through like I’m
A total dummy what I’d have to do between opening the box with the new watch in it and having it receive my Dexcom numbers? I don’t have a compatible phone…

2 Likes

First of all, make sure it is charged up.
While charging, go to their website and get familiar with the menus on the watch. https://bluejay.website/gts-menu-top
On the watch, swipe down, and go to the xdrip core menu (bottom right.)
On the next screen, click on the Transmitter ID set page (top left.)
It takes a little bit of swiping up/down and left/right to set the transmitter, id. Video here shows how.

After setting your transmitter ID, next you need to determine what slow the watch is going to use on the dexcom transmitter. If you do not have a pump connected to your dexcom, you do not need to do anything. The watch is already setup to use the PUMP slot from the factory.
If you are using a Tandem X2 pump, you will need to change the watch to use the PHONE slot. To do this, swipe down to get to the main menu. Choose the Settings menu (top right,) then choose the Admin menu (bottom right,) then choose the More admin options (bottom left,) then select the transmitter slot menu (top right,) and finally here select the phone slot (top right.)
And now, WAIT.
And most likely, wait some more :wink:

To see if it has connected to your dexcom, and to see the transmitter age and the sensor age, swipe down for the main menu. Then select the Info page (bottom left.) Here is the hidden part. On the Info page, it will show you the mac address and what version of xdrip is on your watch. You then need to swipe right to see the transmitter age and sensor age. The instructions on their webpage do not say you have to swipe right to get to the extra page.

IF it doesn’t get a reading within 15 minutes or more, restart the watch.
To power off/on the watch, hold the button on the side of the watch for a bit of time. You will see the screen start to change, keep holding it a little longer for it to power off/on.

Anytime you see where the watch hasn’t received a signal from the transmitter for an extended period of time, I highly recommend restarting the watch. This has solved it everytime for me.

Still having problems? Hit this page up or send me a message.
Also, @jamorham has a gitter page up that he checks for issues. https://gitter.im/jamorham/BlueJay It isn’t the easiest page to follow, but you can search on it, or just scroll through past issues to find yours.
Of course you can post a question. Many people there are more than willing to assist as they can until @jamorham sees your message and responds.

2 Likes

Thanks for that! And you’ll get the exact same numbers that you would on the Dexcom receiver? I experimented around with xdrip and spike etc on iPhone beta apps and their numbers didn’t match the received at all (if I recall correctly)

How long are you finding the battery to last generally?

1 Like

Same numbers as dexcom. Always reads the same as on my Tandem X2 pump.
Only way to change that is to run xdrip on a phone and change some settings to have it NOT run the native code.

As for battery life.
I can get around a week or so. I haven’t ran it completely dead, but it shows red on the battery indicator. Be forewarned though, that battery indicator is a very rough guess. Even @jamorham doesn’t trust it at this time.
I usually charge the watch twice a week though. Just so I know it has a good charge, and if I forget, I am good to go for a while either way.
I turn OFF the auto on function for twisting your wrist to make it wake up.
Also, because you don’t have a phone, turn off the bluetooth for some extra battery life.
If you turn almost everything off, you can get more battery life, but I don’t feel it’s worth it.

Btw, I have two alarms that go off every weekday. Doesn’t seem to affect the battery life much.

2 Likes

Are you able to receive text messages and call notifications if it is Bluetooth connected to phone? Can you respond to texts? I do have a phone but k just can’t really pull it out and play with it while I’m manuevering cruise ships so it is mostly going to have to stay in my briefcase. Also in and out of service quite a bit

1 Like

It does the call notification.
Nothing for text messages though.
I don’t use the call option though, so not sure how well it works or doesn’t work.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info. I asked for the watch for my birthday next month. I think it’ll fit the bill quite nicely— the last thing I need is an Apple Watch to have another electronic gadget to play with and have to charge every day— this seems much more practical and focused in purpose

2 Likes