New BlueJay GTS Watch!

I am not, just the watch itself.

2 Likes

Eric, You restart the watch, maybe more than once?

2 Likes

Yep, a bunch of times!

1 Like

Yeah, I figured, of all people, you would definitely have restartedā€¦

2 Likes

@Eric, you should go on his gitter page and ask about this. You can search there as well, but the format isnā€™t the greatest for searches, etc.
https://gitter.im/jamorham/BlueJay

3 Likes

@Hammer, thanks! I will check it out!

1 Like

I got the time to show up! Yay! :+1:

That makes the watch an actual watch too. I am very happy to see this.

Not sure if this is the ā€œfixā€ but this is what worked. Let the battery run all the way down, recharge it and then reset the time.

Apparently that cleared something out, because itā€™s working now.

Having the time on the watch was important for me because if you are wearing a watch, inevitably someone will ask you what time it is. And I didnā€™t want to have to go into some stupid explanation about how it wasnā€™t an actual watch, itā€™s a CGM, blah, blah, blah.

2 Likes

Hmm, didnā€™t think it would need to have that approach taken to reset/restart the watch setup.
But, it works!
And yeah, having it work as a watch is nice.
I still get people thinking I am being rude for looking at my ā€˜watchā€™ while I am talking to them. Like I am late for being somewhere other than there.
Btw, have you done the timers as well? I like those for reminders for when I am resetting my G6 so I can put it back in. I am normally BAD at this, and forget to restart the sensor and end up wasting hours sometimesā€¦ This little timer set for 15 minutes has definitely saved me some hassle!
About my only issue with alarms, I wish I could set what days they are good for. Small gripe though, still very happy with the alarms, and the watch itself.

2 Likes

No, I have not set any timers on it yet. But for a 15 minute sensor restart, that would be handy.

1 Like

When you go for alarms, there are two options, first one is timers on the upper left (looks like stopwatch), and alarms are upper right.
And yes, very handy indeed!

2 Likes

That makes sense. The battery drain-full charge is consistent with what made time appear to me too. Unfortunately my watch bricked itself again over the weekend and Iā€™m waiting for it to discharge. Iā€™ll let you know if a second discharge changes anything. :frowning:

Everyone asks me if I got a new apple watch, to which I respond, No! this is so much cooler than an apple watch!

2 Likes

Haha, yeah it actually shows your BG, unlike Apple that has promised/teased this for years now!

Honestly, these BlueJay watches are not perfect. But they are bloody good! And at a reasonable price, unlike all the other smart watches out there.

2 Likes

The setup is not super-intuitive. Now that I have it setup the way I want it, I am going to leave it alone!

Totally agreed on the interface/menu layout.

1 Like

Ok. So it works directly with the dexcom g6, great newsā€¦ Iā€™m not on a pump. I use MDI. would that make a difference?? Does it need to connect it through a pump?? I see some talk about the watch connecting though a pump or phone slot!! I canā€™t really understand that. Can you throw any light on this.
Much appreciated
Tia
Dave

1 Like

It will connect directly to the Dexcom G6.
The talk about the pump slot and the phone slot is based on the Dexcom system has two connection paths. The G6 can connect to both a pump and phone at the same time.
Since you are not using a pump, if you get the GTS watch, put in the transmitter id. It will automatically try to connect to the pump slot on the G6. It will work very easy this way for you!
Clear as mud? Again, the pump vs phone slot is how the Dexcom G6 connects. And the GTS will try and use the pump slot by default. Which works perfect for you.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. It throws some light on my concerns. I didnā€™t want to make the purchase and then realise there was a connection issue. So Iā€™d just put the sensor code into the watch and hey prestoā€¦:blush:
Tia
Dave

1 Like

Yeah, the watch already has xdrip on it, so that part is nice.
Btw, you can do almost every setting directly from the watch.
BUT, it is a lot easier/more intuitive if you do the settings in xdrip from your phone.

4 Likes

Agreed, its much much easier to do the main dexcom setup from a phone/receiver and only enter a transmitter s/n once every 3 months. Or maybe my fingers are too bigā€¦

2 Likes

Hey, I wanted to give a quick shout-out to @Hammer for this recommendation. I really like this watch!

Today I wore it while at a concert. And not a concert where they have electric guitars. This was an orchestra concertā€¦

On the Dexcom receiver, on the low and high alerts, it will buzz the first time. And then if you donā€™t acknowledge it, after 5 minutes it will beep.

But on the urgent low alert below 55, it will beep right away! No buzz warning first. Instant annoying noise, with no chance to keep it quiet!
(Not totally sure, but I think the phone is also the same way, right? You canā€™t silence an urgent low ahead of time, right?)

How awkward something like that would be while the orchestra is playing!

When I am out, I donā€™t bring my Dexcom receiver anymore. So today I had my BlueJay watch, and guess what?!?! It keeps its mouth shut!

Today the reading dropped below 55. I saw the drop coming and ate something ahead of time, but of course the reading still dropped below 55. But it didnā€™t matter, because the watch just sits quietly and shows you the number without disturbing anyone and making a ridiculous beeping noise in a formal setting.

Was so glad to have the watch today instead of the receiver!

7 Likes