New BlueJay GTS Watch!

They actually called me to help!!! I guess the issue was that when I turned off phone Bluetooth - I had to press green again on transmitter ID. Works great now. Really a top notch company and very helpful.

2 Likes

I agree on their service, and just general likability. I truly appreciate companies like these.

3 Likes

12 weeks in and Iā€™m a bigger and bigger fan of the GTS watch. Once over the initial setup the thing is pretty dummy proof. Really the only cumbersome thing is entering a new transmitter ID every 3 months, only because Iā€™m not familiar with it. Silencing the alarm only requires a long press of the single button. I wear it constantly and much prefer the alarms while I sleep, which donā€™t wake my wife up. Battery life is generally up to a week with occasional discharge in a day, for whatever random reason.

Durability has been good so far. There were a few minor scratches in the first week, but nothing since then. I shower with it on, go for long mountain bike rides, play with my kids without trouble. For $100, Iā€™ll be satisfied if I get 6 months out of it and thrilled at a year. The band probably needs to be replaced but I sweat a lot and those are very common. I imagine a semi-responsible kid could wear one without immediately destroying it.

Iā€™m thrilled to be disconnected from my phone and receiver for Dexcom. Iā€™m paying closer attention to potential lows without stressing over where my phone is. I wish apple/dex would release the direct dexcom apple watch link but Iā€™ve been waiting 3 years for that. Do I use my phone any less? No. But I guess you all assumed a watch wouldnā€™t cure me of that addiction.

3 Likes

Funny thing, I actually FORGET to take my phone with me when I should. Just because I donā€™t NEED the phone all the time like before.
My watch band is doing ok. I am not really a fan of this style of band, but it does work pretty good, and I havenā€™t ripped it, or otherwise destroyed it like I do the normal/cheap watch bands.
This is my second BlueJay watch. And I imagine I will get their newer version whenever that ones comes out.
The huge difference for me was the upgrade to get the Alarms and timers. I use both alarms every day (I wish I could make the alarms Day specific,) and use the timers when I actually remember them.
I am lazy, and use my phone to change the transmitter data. I did do it once on the watch, which takes a little time.

Other than that, the best thing I can say about this watch is ā€˜it just worksā€™.
It isnā€™t a smart watch. You canā€™t make payments, watch movies, make phone calls, etc.
It just does xdrip. And it does it very well.

2 Likes

hi all,

Itā€™s very nice to see that there are more and more options to facilitate our lives.

I am really interested to buy this watch, and I have two questions

• I am using Dexcom Clarity to share data with hospital, do you think we can do that with xDrip+ ?
  • And I use Dexcom follower to follow dexcom level remotely, is it possible to do that ?

If this watch meet these needs I will buy it directly :slight_smile:

Thank you very much

1 Like

xdrip doesnā€™t really send nice reports to people like Dexcom does. I like xdrip reports better though.
Do you have a pump using the pump slot on the dexcom G6?
If so, getting dexcom and xdrip to both work are not easy/doable.
If no pump connection, then itā€™s easy. Have the watch connect via the pump slot, and have dexcom on your phone connect via the phone slot.

xdrip does have a way to follow. I donā€™t use this option, but I know others here do.

1 Like

thank you for your answer, my daughter doesnā€™t have pump. she will use omnipod in few days and the dash is not concerned by DYI Looping.

the thing is to find a solution to not bring a phone with here and use only a watch as standalone and I donā€™t want to lose the follow option. is there any good solution ?

thanks

1 Like

xdrip does have the follow option.
But, like I said, I donā€™t have personal experience with this. I see the settings for this in xdrip, but have never used it.

You would lose data from the dexcom side on the phone while it is not in range, but the watch is always in range. But the watch isnā€™t cellular, so it will not send data up via the watch, it will connect to the phone or wifi to get data to go outbound for a follower.

I could be wrong on these points though. No real experience.

2 Likes

@Hammer,
Thanks for the recommendation! I got one and I like it a lot!

As you mentioned, it took a bit to get the menus figured out. But going to their website made it pretty easy. Once I got it configured, it was pretty simple.

Things I like:

• Can easily switch between phone slot or receiver slot
  • Donā€™t need an iPhone to use it (unlike an Apple Watch)
  • Can see BG with a wrist turn and donā€™t need to push any buttons
  • Can set alarms or not set alarms, whatever you want
  • Can use it to either calibrate or not calibrate, whatever you want
  • Relatively inexpensive
  • It comes with a wristband, but is compatible with any standard 20mm wristband

Question for @Hammer, or anyone else who has used this. Can you set it to display time as well as BG? Since you can set the time, it obviously has the time stored on it.

Was wondering if there is an option for the time to be displayed. I figured, why not make it an actual watch too?

Thanks for the recommendation and the info!

3 Likes

Yes, in xdrip you set it to send the extra line of data, and choose time. works great this way.
BG is still the bigger number, and time is displayed below in slightly smaller numbers. Easy enough to read, and yes, works like a watch should. Time, timers and alarms!
Funny, I have been asking jamorham for alarms for a long time time, so I think when the GTS came out, he had that in mind. Even though it wasnā€™t on the first firmware for the GTS.

If you not using xdrip anywhere other than the watch itself, I would have to think about how to get time to show up thoughā€¦

2 Likes

Btw, to save battery life, I donā€™t have it come on with the wrist turn. I use the swipe up method.
I get about a week between charges this way. I would get more if I disabled the swipe up part, but I like this feature. The turning of the wrist never seems to work well for me anyways, and always uses more battery life.

2 Likes

I canā€™t figure out how to do this. May have to ask them.

Using xdrip isnā€™t really what Iā€™d want to do. The thing I like with this is that I donā€™t need my phone. I assume using xDrip means I would need the phone, right?

1 Like

Yeah, donā€™t really see the option for displaying time on the watch by the menus on the watch itself.
And yes, xdrip on any phone that you can pair to the watch can make those changes. Using xdrip is easier and quick for some of these deeper changes.

All the basics are still easy on the watch, just some of the more technical things are better done in xdrip itself.

2 Likes

So can I setup xDrip on my iPhone just to get the watch to display time?

I donā€™t use xDrip, donā€™t know much about it.

1 Like

No clue with xdrip on iphone. Works great on android though.
And yes, on xdrip, Settings, Less Common Settings, Extra Status Line is the first option to turn on, and lower on that screen is Time.

Odd though, I thought it was supposed to show time as default though? Maybe because that is something I have always had ā€˜onā€™ with my xdrip?

2 Likes

Thanks.

I emailed them. Hopefully they can give me some info on it.

I suppose I can try a factory reset and see what that gives me. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I ran into this problem with displaying the time as well. Eventually it started displaying though Iā€™m not entirely sure why. Things i know I did before the time started showing up:
Factory reset (for other reasons)
Manually set the time and date
Then the time shows up!?!

Iā€™ve run into this problem where I do some accidental combination of swipe and button press and the watch restarts. It maintains TXID and readings history, so its really not a big deal, but it loses the time and date on restart. Really annoying to manually enter the time and date every couple days.

2 Likes

Thanks @Karl.n!

Are you using xDrip?

1 Like

Yeah, if there is xdrip running, it will eventually do this.

Btw, the easy way to shut down and restart the watch is just hold the side button down for a bit.
I have found that once in a while the watch will not connect to my G6, and I shut down/start up, and all is well.
I would try this if you havenā€™t already Eric.
Also, I take it that you set the date and time on the watch itself?

2 Likes

Yes, I set the time and date, and also set the format for displaying the time and date.

Kind of funny that you can set the display format but never see it!

1 Like