Need Diabetes Case ideas, help

I just asked them to process a return. We realized all the stuff wouldn’t fit anyways… they did process the return well.

3 Likes

These are fabulous options, so you happen to have links to them?

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: How shockproof are Humalog and Novolog pens?

Here is the 1st one:
https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-DIVIDER-BAG-46-Camera/dp/B003G2YZMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521588083&sr=8-1&keywords=vanguard+supreme+divider+insert+46

Here is the 2nd (the one shown is the hard case, they also have a softer version):
http://www.namerygifts.com/Hard-Shock-Resistant-Compact-Digital-Camera-Case-Protective-Bag-Pouch-CHOOSE-A-COLOR_p_1742.html

Here is the 3rd (Dakine)

1 Like

The one thing I don’t like about buying random bags off Amazon is that I can’t test them to see if they’ll fit stuff. For example, I’d like three bags: one red bag that can carry emergency supplies (epipens, glucose gel, inhaler, +/- glucagon kit), a small one for carrying backup supplies (insulin pen, cartridge, infusion set, various pads, swabs, and tapes), and a larger one that would suit me for travelling for 1-2 weeks at a time with all my pump supplies and whatnot.

I haven’t bought the Myabetic bags yet, but at least they give some idea of what they can fit. But I can’t help but think I could get generic ones off Amazon a lot cheaper (and I also don’t care too much about having everything fit in a specific spot, but having some loops for things is nice).

2 Likes

Is it not easy to return stuff to Amazon in Canada? They have a very easy return policy, and in the U.S., if you have Amazon Prime, most returns are free shipping. So you could check it out and send it back if you want. But again, not sure if it is different in the great north.

No, it’s easy here, except I don’t have a printer and can’t drive. lol. So getting the return forms printed off and the box back to a post office (during business hours) is often quite the hassle.

2 Likes

I’m not sure. The pharmacy and doctor’s office I got it from both had my information on file. But I’m not sure if it was the provincial government covering the cost (there is no “Canadian” healthcare as it’s a provincial responsibility) or whether it was free from the manufacturer. Since manufacturers often give away meters for free so that you’ll buy their strips, I imagine that manufactuerers often give insulin pens away for free for the same reason. If it was the government covering it, it’s not something that would be available to any US resident.

Easy! Just buy a printer from Amazon, print out the return label for the diabetic supply case and the printer, and then return them both…
Just kidding! :grinning:

5 Likes

I do return an unusually large amount of stuff to Amazon from time to time, and the printer and the car come in handy. However, last week I noticed that there was an option to have a UPS pick up, and there was an option to have a label printed and sent to me. I assume these cost a small amount of money, but in the search for perfection …might be worth it. YMMV in Canada. :slight_smile:

And as far as travel cases go, we tend to use quart and gallon size Ziploc bags. It literally never occurred to me to look for something else until I came to a FUD. For the day-to-day, EH uses a freestyle meter case for his testing kit and supplies and pen needle tips, and puts the Omnipod PDM into his pocket or man purse. I guess that’s really it, he carries a bag around, so everything just goes in there.

Yeah, my day-to-day stuff is a bit more than most people because of my other health needs. Right now I just have everything thrown in my bag, but it’s hard to find stuff because I also have a lot of other things in there. So having things in a bag would be nice.

For travel on a plane, I do use a clear bag for the liquid medication, but I have a blue Dia-Pak Deluxe at the moment that I use for everything else. It doesn’t fit all that much, though, and is only good for trips of about half a week.

Thanks for letting me know about those options on Amazon! It seems they did think about people like me. :slight_smile: I’ll see if we have them available in Canada.

Exactly. And it’s very frustrating, especially if the case that comes with a meter can’t be closed properly even though you put only the meter and strips in it (yes, I’m looking at you, Bayer). Currently, I’m looking for a case to replace my ugly meter case, but I can’t find much that I like. Many cases are too big or they don’t have enough compartments and most cases are designed for women. Pink cases or flowery patterns are not my taste.
My case with other supplies is not the best either, but finding a new meter case is my primary concern.

I used to use a tasteful black leather men’s manicure kit, stripped of all the leather holders inside, similar to this one but nowhere near as expensive. It was just big enough to hold my meter and lancet snugly, though I had to transfer strips to a small pill case so the lid would close. It fit in my jacket pocket, which was perfect.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/DV654011/DOVO-5-Piece-Manicure-Set-in-Black-Leather-Case

For something larger, for an overnight stay or a short trip (or even a long trip if you travel light), I use a simple leather shaving kit/dopp kit which has no dividers or compartments inside and fits everything I need to carry. Luggage stores have a good selection of sizes and styles, and there are zillions available online.

3 Likes

Here are a couple I ran across on Amazon. I don’t know why people keep putting their phones in these diabetic cases.

3 Likes

I really, really like that second one. I think it’d fit my pens! I could put pen needles in one compartment and Afrezza cartridges in the other. My current case works alright, but I stash used pen needles in there too, and I worry about the caps coming off and poking someone by accident. Having a hard case would be super nice.

1 Like

@Katers87 I agree with you the second one looks really interesting. So interesting, I just bought one. Thanks @Eric for the great link!

2 Likes

This bag also has a cooler insert…

Oooooo! Here’s a similar one with a hard case:

It’d be nice if these had zippered compartments though.

1 Like

@Katers87 Nice!

1 Like

I saw a YouTube video of a guy who fit pens and glucagon (and epipens) in the AmazonBasics case. If that one came in red, I’d get it for sure!