How shockproof are Humalog and Novolog pens?

Shockproof and waterproof are very useful features and benefits. On a side note, has anyone ever dropped their refillable novolog or humolog pen - did it break, or are they pretty rugged? How long does the battery for the memory last in the pen? Every now and then, my novolog pen goes wonky and I receive the — for insulin injected. I don’t know if the battery is weak. I’ve come to rely on the memory feature, especially if I’m taking a few corrections.

1 Like

The Humalog refillable version (Luxura) is very durable. The flimsiest part of it is the plunger mechanism, I have broken one of those when resetting it for a new cartridge. But when it is capped, it is pretty solid.

2 Likes

How long have you been using it? The batteries are supposed to last five years. Although this is probably based on 3-4 shots a day, so if you’re doing a lot more, that’ll probably be shortened…

1 Like

I average 3-4 shots a day and have had the pen for about 5 years - so that may be it. Just when I think that I may need to replace it, the reading reappears. Do I need a prescription for the pen? This is my first pen.

@Eric- I know precisely what you mean about the plunger mechanism. It does look flimsy!

1 Like

I’m in Canada. I just ask my endo for one or the pharmacy (who have always provided it for free).

1 Like

Wow! Thank goodness for the Canadian healthcare. I visit Montreal often, usually at least once yearly. Would I be able to obtain one from the pharmacy for free, or is a Canadian ID required?

We have dropped a Novolog Echo pen several times. Once, the upper part was not tightly screwed in. It separated and the insulin cartridge (our last one on that trip) cracked… But the pen was unscathed. It seems quite rugged to me.

The Luxura pen seems even stronger to me when capped—but we never had incidents with one.

When we were in Canada, we were able to get a free pen every time we bought insulin in a pharmacy, no prescription required. But we never found a place that had Novolog Echos though. I suspect these would be for pay? They are quite expensive comparatively. They may not be available in Canada?

In the US, they need a prescription, unless you get them free from your endo clinic.

1 Like

I was able to buy the Humalog versions (the refillable kind) from a Canadian site, with no prescription. Not the insulin cartridge, just the pen. It was only $10.

2 Likes

My partner got his from his endo years ago, and she hooked him up with spares. They were marked Sample, but who cares - free! They are totally durable – I’m talking about the Humalog version that Eric mentioned.

2 Likes