Novolog vs Humalog

So, like others have experienced, PBMs tend to change with insurance, or they themselves change formularies. Caremark made me switch from Humalog to Novolog, and I’m loving it. Since I’ve started HRT (another thing I’ll have to post about soon) in the last few months, I waited until that’s settled to really decide. I went back and forth between insulins, and there’s definitely a difference. Highs are less sticky, and it seems to respond quicker to exercise. I’ve learned how to refill my Humalog Jr pens from the Novolog pens that I have, and that 1/2 unit feature is definitely helpful. Thanks for the info, @Eric. Next step will be talking to my PCP about getting vials. (Caremark really skimps on my refills, down to the unit)
@ClaudnDaye, thanks for the offer to swap, but this is working great!
As always, thank you to this forum and community for all the info and :heart:.

7 Likes

Don’t have a ton to add— other than that I’ve observed a difference as well.

Regarding refills, I’ve always just asked my provider to prescribe me more than I actually need and they’ve always been very cool about it. I usually do the math to make sure I’ll get full boxes and ask for that— never had any pushback with Caremark

1 Like

I was totally ready to hate Novolog, as change is bad. Lol
Caremark is fine, IF you use their mail order or a CVS. Otherwise, they won’t do 90 day supply, and question everything. Theft issue in my building, and the only CVS nearby is a total mess.
I did contact my dr, and asked her to prescribe on the higher side. She can’t totally flub it, as then what happens next time I’m in the ER and they need to know real doses? We have a deal- she doesn’t make me see an Endo, and I do my best to make sure there’s no reason to. :innocent:
Luckily, they can’t open vials, so that’s prob the way to go…

Mine have never cared about totally flubbing. I think they’ll follow hospital protocols in the ER regardless of what your pcp chart notes say

Mine just writes “use up to 60u per day” for novolog, so I get 4 boxes of pens whenever I order

3 Likes

That’s awesome!

My prescriptions in Canada have always said something like “Use as directed” or “Use 100U for pump use,” so I can refill whenever required, no questions asked. Don’t you have something like that in the US?

2 Likes

If using health insurance, they each decide which brands of insulins are on the drug plan. And usually one brand for each type of insulin. And they may change each year.

In my case I use novolog regardless of insurance, by using a cash pay discount card.

Humalog and Novolog are similar, but slight difference for me. But I use a direct pay offer from Novolog for $35 USD per vial.

3 Likes

@Beacher @MM2 Yes, some of my meds are “as needed”. As @Sam said, a dr can write the script any way they want, as long as (if necessary) they are willing to prove that a patient needs it that way. Case in point: every time my PBM changes, they question why I can only take one type of pancreatic enzyme. My GI dr has to write a letter that basically says that its the only one he’ll prescribe, and since he’s the leading GI guy around, they have to listen to him. The first time a scrip is written for 4 with each meal, 2 with each snack, they question it. So he writes another letter. Then the pharmacist decides that 480 is too many for a 30 day supply, so they change it to 400 for 25 day supply. But I still pay the 30-day copay. And somewhere along the way, a different pharmacist will question the 25 day supply and change it to 400 for a 30 day supply. Except for the time one misread it as 3 a day. Boy, that was fun!

Too many cooks up in my kitchen!

I haven’t figured out all the ins and outs of going outside of insurance. I’m sure one day I’ll have to.
I got lazy with Express Scripts, as they didn’t have their fingers in as many pies…

3 Likes

Same for me. I still use goodrx for thyroid to get Levoxyl at reasonable cost. Other brands don’t work as well/consistent for me.

Will be another adventure when I switch to Medicare this year.

2 Likes

How do all of you who use Novolog plan to deal when it is no longer available in USA - alleged to happen later this year?

@bob.carlson According to the reports that I found, Levemir will be discontinued in the US.

https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/medicine/insulin-levemir-detemir-aspart-novolog-shortage-other-diabetes-injections-regular-supply/536-4ce6f913-c711-4c76-b392-9fd6e9c22e8a

What reference do you have for this?

Novolog pens were in shortage for a brief time, apparently.

I’d check with the manufacturer. My insurance company (BCBS/Medex) removed both Novolg and Levemir from their formulary for this year. Then I found out that Novo Nordisk would no longer be selling Levemir in USA, but that some may remain available through April, more or less. Next I heard that Novolog, too, would no longer be available after mid summer or so, but cannot remember the source for that info. My insurer is requiring me to switch to tresiba? And to the biosimilar of Humalog, though I dont recall the name of that (begins with A).

I’ll keep an eye out for more info. According to my insurance, there is a generic form, (sometimes they have no clue, so not 100% sure of this info) but its not covered at this time.

There have been shortages, as noted here.

https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/medicine/insulin-levemir-detemir-aspart-novolog-shortage-other-diabetes-injections-regular-supply/536-4ce6f913-c711-4c76-b392-9fd6e9c22e8a

How does one get permission to access these articles: link simply says “Access denied”

Not sure. I just googled “novolog discontinued US”, and it came up. I might have accepted their cookies before?

I don’t see anything on Novolog being discontinued in the US. Which is good since my crapsack PBM just forced me to switch to it from Humalog.

1 Like

Did you end up getting authorization for Humalog?