Mug Cakes!

I lost track of which thread it was mentioned on, but Thomas was talking about you never having been low. Is that true? If so, I think his suggestion is a really good idea. At some point you gotta learn how to deal with that. Better to do it under controlled circumstances with a safety net available (like your husband), rather than being alone when it happens for the first time.

Maybe I am confused about that. Sorry if that’s the case.

1 Like

The “Oops” thread.

I was thinking of a Dex experiment but I don’t think you could do it. It would require manipulating your BG and having to do extra fingersticks.

Oh no! I couldn’t possibly manipulate my BG.:rofl:
And extra fingersticks? You mean more than my usual 20? :smiley:

Lay it on me.

1 Like

Yes, it’s true. My lowest recorded BG is 51. :blush: I think partially due to the fact that I eat often during the day due to the muscle thing (every 2-3 hrs), so less chance of dropping, and I’m very aware of when I start dropping, so I catch and treat very quickly when it starts happening.

I would call 51 a “low”. I thought you meant you had never gone low at all.

1 Like

Yeah, I just hear about people’s lows being in the 30s/40s all the time, and 50s doesn’t really seem THAT low by comparison. Still felt awful.

I am a “Parent Of” - not D myself. So clearly I do not have first hand experience.

However, my impression is that the “number” that is “low” for one person does NOT equate to the same number for another person nor do the symptoms necessarily match up for a given number.

If you “felt awful” - that to me (not having experienced it) sounds like it really is/was a low.

2 Likes

Right; makes sense. I qualified with never having experienced a “true” low meaning I’ve always had just little dips that I was still (mostly) functional through and took a couple gummy bears/jelly beans to bring up - never the plummeting, can barely function, need ALL the sugar lows. Those are what scare me and sometimes drive me to dose less than I would in certain situations or to “treat” a, say, 70 if I feel it might drop more.

Low isn’t just the number, it is the way it is going and how quickly. You can feel low at 100 if you are dropping sharply, because in a few minutes you will be at 60. Your body can pick up on that sensation.

2 Likes

Thankfully I’ve never dropped quite that fast. Which reminds me of something I was thinking about last night - if the Dexcom has a time lag, in situations like if you’re waiting for your insulin to start dropping you before starting to eat, then how does that affect you if it’s far enough behind your actual BG? I know when I’m dropping, at a certain point I feel like I have to eat everything in sight, so do you ever get to that point when doing this, because that seems to be an unpleasant way to eat! Or would you not use a dex in this situation?

I would always use the dexcom, but if I go into a steep dive I listen to my feelings instead of trusting the dexcom and back-up my feelings with a finger stick.

If you look at the insulin action curve it ramps up, so you are not going to get a big drop right away. Dexcom is ok for those slow changes, but If you were waiting for a drop from say 200 to 80 before you ate, you probably want to start eating around 120 because your bg will be below 120 when it reads 120 as you being to quickly drop.

2 Likes

Which is why I am so grateful for my CGM. Previously, if I drifted down very slowly, I could drop below 2 (35) and not realize it until all of a sudden I was brain dead and shaky and soaking wet. If I come down rapidly, I’m brain dead and shaky and soaking wet at 8 (145) or even higher … like when I walked too far shopping this weekend and just had to give up trying to pay for a pair of jeans and slumped against the wall, shaking and sweating and scarfing Dex tabs like a wild animal. Fit right in with the local meth-heads.:crazy_face:

4 Likes

You can look at Dexcom, but if you can get to where you recognize it, it’s better.

You may test at 80, but your Dex still says 100, that is a sign you are dropping and your Dex has not caught up. Try to pickup on the sensations of how you feel.

What @Beacher says is a great point:

If you just get frustrated with a normally simple thing, or you get shaky, or an easy thing is no longer easy. If you can’t unlock the door, or you struggle to turn on the TV, or any easy thing becomes hard, those are great clues to pick up on. When you give up on something you normally wouldn’t give up on, check your BG!

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. Sometimes I’m spot on with “feeling” where I’m at, and sometimes I get it completely wrong, in part thanks to all of the other health issues I have going on. Like tonight, after dinner, I was getting a headache and feeling very tired, classic signs my BG is over 150, so I checked, expecting needing to correct, and I was at 86. I guess being a mom is tiring on its own… :wink:

In mug cake news, I’ve discovered a new advantage, particularly for parents of little kids. My daughter watched me assemble my mug cake (because I had dosed more insulin expecting a rise that didn’t come, oops), and she commented as I put it in the microwave, “It’s your coffee, Mama!” So when I got it out and started eating, she didn’t ask for any of it (which, if you’ve ever had a 3 yr old, is extraordinary). Of course, I couldn’t help but offer her a bite, so I just eliminated my advantage…

2 Likes

Sharing a mug cake recipe.
I’ve modified it; made 2 over the weekend. I made a Vanilla version, and also a version with less chocolate chocolate, less sugar. Really convenient. Has anyone try making it in a microwaveable bowl? It was a one container, mix the ingredients and microwave cake. The mug cake version turned out nice and moist. The bowl version was moist too. The center was just a little under cooked. I nuked it a little longer, it didn’t change the texture. I’m wondering whether the geometry of the bowl caused the sight undercooking.

2 Likes