Making a custom case

I never like the pre-formed diabetes kits, because everyone’s needs are different. Most of those things don’t fit exactly what I want to carry on trips.

I made this custom case for longer trips. It has a place for exactly what I need. And it was pretty easy to make.

I started with a case that was for electronics or stuff like that.

Then I got some of this customizeable foam. It has perforated squares that let you cut it to size for whatever you want.

Here is what I ended up with:

There is no wasted space, and there are compartments to securely hold all the stuff I need for a week long trip.

On a side note, I pack with redundancy in mind. I carry a vial of Levemir in case my PDM gets lost or dies, so I can roll over to MDI. I have 2 meters that use the same type of strip (FreeStyle Lite meter and the PDM) in case either one dies. And I have syringes and pen for backup too.

A week’s worth of stuff, all in a case that is only 6.5" x 8.5", and everything held very securely.

Try the custom foam and build your own.

8 Likes

Nice Job with the foam. We have a similar case, but I hadn’t thought of the foam. Good idea! You never cease to amaze.

3 Likes

Nice! One question @Eric, is the foam the squeaky/scratchy kind that will make an awful sound as it scratches against your fingernails?

It is the soft kind.

Not the Styrofoam cooler type.
:grinning:

Have you ever seen The Professional? There’s something very reminiscent of that. :grin:

This is a great idea. You also mentioned making a meter holder for running…is there a thread on that one?

1 Like

Yes, right here:

2 Likes