How to get xdrip and g6 dexcom apps to play nice?

I’m already confused again, actually. In the instructions it says that my watch will connect to the Bluetooth Transmitter when my phone is disconnected (without needing to use the Force functionality), but every time i leave my phone in another room my watch just shows the old value with a strikethrough. Any idea how to get it to connect directly to my transmitter without forcing constant connection (which would drain battery)?

@jredel Make sure you have “enable wear collection service” checked and “Android Wear Integration” enabled in settings>smartwatch features>android wear integration. It may take 15 minutes for the switchover to occur. In any event, it is not instantaneous.

Also, if you force wear it doesn’t wear the battery too badly. I only recharge overnight after a full day’s use.

1 Like

Yup that’s been on this whole time. And yeah my watch had a particularly finicky battery as it was a text watch at Google.

Also, it seems like my sensor just stopped and there’s no way to get it to continue past the normal cutoff. It’s surprising, both because there was no warning and because I thought i could extend it with xdrip.

Thanks so much for your help so far!

1 Like

*test watch

Hm I found the setting that means that when the Sensor ends it restarts and the one that instead of stopping the Sensor I can erase calibration data and start over, but not one that lets me keep the Sensor going after it’s been stopped as far as I can tell. Notably though, xdrip says that it’s not even getting a signal anymore (even though my receiver just says that the Sensor is stopped; the transmitter is not dead).

@jredel You’ll find all kinds of little nuggets if you look through the settings.

Settings>g5/g6 debug> preemptive restarts and restart sensor…

A major change in G6 is that the controls are in the transnsmitter.

1 Like

Ha! Thanks a ton. I wouldn’t call this an intuitive UI… But also, those are the settings I was talking about. They work for the next sensor but not the current one if it already expired. That’s what I was trying to triage.

What does it mean that controls are in the transmitter?

Still can’t get my watch to pair when the phone is out of range. Sad times. Thanks again for all your help!

1 Like

@jredel In the G5, the controls for the timout for a sensor and transmitter were in the app or receiver. Hence, it was no big deal for xdrip+ to extend the lives of the trsnsmitter and sensor.

But in the G6 that control is in the transmitter. So the developer of xdrip+ had to figure out how to actively circumvent that control.

Did you make sure to check your settings>smartwatch settings>android wear integration are correct? (Enable wear collection service). You should also check xdrip prefs on the watch (enable collector).

Hmmm here’s the phone

And here’s the watch: oh damn I can’t upload but it says (checked) enable connector comment to bt when phone is out of range

@jredel It looks like things are set correctly. Did you enable location on the watch? Also always on and WiFi must be enabled. Other than that, check your watch connection in Wear.

BTW, to upload a watch screen shot just go to the three do menu in Wear. It allows you to share a screenshot.

1 Like

Interesting… Does WiFi have to be connected to a network? screen screen-1

No. On many phones location and LEBluetooth work together. And I keep wifi connected regardless.

2 Likes

Gotcha. So it sounds like it’s an unsolveable bug. Thanks anyhow!

@jredel I just saw something in your screenshots. There is no device listed that is running your collection service. It should either show your phone or your watch.

Just a longshot, but when the SSW3 connects to a bluetooth device, it asks for permission to bond. Did you give that permission? If not, go to settings>Bluetooth>devices on your watch and try connecting to the watch one time. After permission is given it won’t ask again.

1 Like

Interestingly, the dexcom device isn’t listed (though it is connected to my phone). Even weirder, yesterday I was away from phone for about 20 min and saw that permission request pop up on my watch. I got the checkmark and the watch connected, until I got back to my phone. Then the permission dialog never showed up again and the watch never connected again (even after being away from phone 30 min)

1 Like

@jredel, really weird.

And you are sure you are running latest, not an old version?

@jredel You may have to go into Bluetooth settings on the watch and connect again. I don’t know why it won’t reconnect automatically, but it sounds like a bug in your device.

@docslotnick
I am currently using G6 with xDrip and also using G6 Receiver. Both are showing same value. (Sometimes different arrows).
Per above, seems this is in native mode. What/how to change to not be native, so I can see difference?.

I had a hacked G6 app on phone, but just removed it. Not using a smartwatch (yet).

@MM2 Just go into G5/G6 debug settings and uncheck “Native algorithm”. Leave “use OB1 collector” checked. Or if you really want to go all the way back, uncheck it (not recommended)

1 Like

Thanks ! I was thinking native = xdrip.

Left OB1 checked. 4 readings so far, still identical (phone and recvr) slightly decreasing. (92, 89, 86, 85).
Sensor on day 9, did a restart about 5 hours ago.
Will have to eat some carbs to get some movement.