How do I start xdrip+ with a Dexcom?

I have only done “restarts” thus far, so I’ll do a shut down.

To be clear, though…right now, for his BG readings, I’m have two functioning methods. First, the receiver itself. Second, I have Dexcom Mobile G5 app on my iPhone.

Are you suggesting that I just “turn off” my iPhone, or actually “stop sensor” within the iPhone Dexcom Mobile G5 app?

What I need, or want to do is to install xDrip on my wife’s Samsung Galaxy S7, and from there, use Nightscout or Share on my iPhone to see the data.

You just need to completely power down (not just turn it off) any device currently functioning as the receiver, i.e. iPhone and Dexcom receiver. You will be completely without Dexcom readings for 30-45-minutes.

no need to stop sensor

I just noticed in the “known limitations” it reads:

Use of Dexcom’s receiver & xDrip simultaneously is not recommended as they currently “step
on” each other when requesting data. DO NOT power off your receiver, extended power down
state can induce an error state that requires a replacement device from Dexcom. This issue is
not caused by xDrip use. Instead, end the sensor session and maintain the receiver battery
charge, powered on. If you require use of the receiver, DO NOT use this software.

How do I meet this requirement if I don’t POWER OFF my receiver??

If I shut down my receiver, I can guarantee that I’ll get an error the next time I try to turn on/use the receiver (it’s happened twice before.) I guess if it gives me an error I can just have it replaced again. At least I’ll have the CGM data still using the Dexcom G5 mobile app on the iPhone (once I can turn it back on.)

Okay…diving in.

Will keep you updated.

What I plan to do is:
a) Uninstall the xDrip+ app and start new AFTER I:
b) Make sure my iPhone is turned off (and I’ll go ahead and switch off bluetooth on the iPhone)
c) SHUT DOWN the G5 receiver.

Just power it down for a few hours while you get xDrip+ started. That won’t cause the problem they’re talking about.

After I started using xDrip+ for a while I did power down the receiver for an extended time, and it ceased working. It was under warranty and Dexcom sent me a new one. now I just keep it plugged in and on in a place that can’t receive the transmitter signal, and it can now function normally if need be.

You don’t need to uninstall the xDrip+ app. Just go initio system status and tap “restart collector”

Thanks so much!

Once I did b and c, xDrip worked IMMEDIATELY. You were exactly right…multiple devices vying for the same bluetooth connection was the issue.

Couple of questions: Earlier I stumbled upon some options that I can no loner find? They dealt with viewing specific pieces of data on the graph…average A1C was one that I remember, but I can’t find that any longer? Could you point me to where this is? There were 5 or more options for things I could see info about, but I can’t find that screen anymore.

Also I’m hearing a “chime” every could minutes…how do I turn this off? He’s high right now (262), so it may have something to do with that…I have my high warning set at 15 min, then 15 min for reminder.

Do you have any “recommended” settings you think would be helpful that I should start set up?

Now to move on to getting Nightscout working on my iPhone! I’ve uninstalled Dexcom G5 Mobile app because I shouldn’t need that any longer since Nightscout will take it’s place.

2 Likes

For the extra information, go to settings> less common settings>extra status lines. Then just tic the options you want to see.

For the annoying alerts settings> alerts and set it as you wish

You’ll also want to set settings> glucose units

Also look at settings>x Drip+ Extra settings to set up display, predictive model, and sync settings.

I’m glad you got it working! Have fun exploring all the settings :grinning:

Edit: I’m going to try to have the setup guide posted this weekend. It will cover settings in depth.

2 Likes

I’m working on setting up my host site for github. Which do you recommend as the host? Azure or Heroku?

Also a question about xDrip reception…is the “range” still the 15 feet or so that the typical CGM is as far as how close the phone needs to be to his person at all time to get the data?

I haven’t set one up as of yet, I really have no need for one. But if read that Heroku is easier. In any event make sure you use the rest API for upload to Mongo.

Range is at least as good as the Dexcom receiver. If it’s a problem keeping him in range of the phone you may want to consider a watch that you can maybe see a pocket into his shirts for (without the watch band) . I would only recommend the Sony Smart Watch 3 without android wear 2.0

1 Like

Uhh…I guess I haven’t gotten this far because I have no clue what this means. lol. Thanks!

I am LOVING the predictive BG line…I can already see that’s going to be a great help potentially in cutting off the lows before they happen.

1 Like

Mongo hosts the database. Azure or Heroku host the website displaying the database information.

1 Like

There’s another really cool predictive concept included called momentum. It’s kind of like the directional arrows on the Bg display, but it shows inner winnings of the prediction. It helps with visualizing how strong the directional momentum of the track is.

1 Like

Where can I find this? Under the xDrip additional settings somewhere?

1 Like

Oh, sorry. It’s I settings> display settings. Just tic “show momentum line”

1 Like

We use Heroku. We did have an Azure site but migrated away from it. Not sure why but I can ask my husband.

Azure has a much better “walk-through” than Heroku. I finished my Heroku setup and had the graph with readings on my iPhone…the only problem was that it was reading “from 3 hours ago”…or last updated, 3 hours ago…something like that and I couldn’t figure out how to get it to be LIVE (or as close to live as possible)…so I scratched it and started working on setting up xDrip to Share with Bridge configuration…taking a break. lol. One wouldn’t think it would be so much work, but it really is. Set up multiple accounts through multiple places, databases, get secret answers, bla bla bla…I feel like I’m at my 9 to 5…no beuno!

@ClaudnDaye If you just want real time readings for trend, treatments, and predictions head to settings> xDrip+ Sync Settings. You form a group with a custom generated key, choose the one which will be the master, then just add the followers on the other handsets using the custom key.

You will then have the xDrip+ app on all the followers be a synced clone of the receiver phone.

This is how my wife keeps an eye on me while I’m at work, or out at the store. It’s kind of creepy when I’m working to get a text from her telling me to eat something right away I’m going to be low in ten minutes, or why did I take so much insulin for lunch, etc.

My whole goal all along has only been to be able to know Liam’s BG’s at any time. My wife now has xDrip+ successfully installed on her Android (Samsung Galaxy S7), and I want to get “some” app/method on my iPhone so that I can track his BG’s anytime also, real time…so that if I need to call my wife (maybe she’s sleeping, or busy and doesn’t notice his BG’s going high or low) to let her know he’s rising or falling, I can do so.

What would be the best method do you all think for me to accomplish this? There are so many combinations of things to use, I’m not sure which is a) the best method and b) provides live (or close to live) readings.

Using the method you’ve recommended I would have to have another android for another installation of xDrip (since xDrip is only for Android), but I’m using an iPhone.