Calf Placement of Dexcom - Alternate Spots that work

This is my go fav spot too!! Like @JessicaD and @ClaudnDaye said just watch for compression lows and enjoy the great reliable numbers. BTW, I also get great numbers on my upper thighs.

4 Likes

One of these days I shall try my upper thighs. I’m actually sad this sensor is almost done lol, I’m going to miss the accuracy. I have my contour next one meter now though, and honestly the test strips are so cheap so it’s going to be nice having a different meter to verify my numbers with.

4 Likes

I’d recommend that you stay very well hydrated with the Dexcom regardless of the sensor location. A big glass of water sometimes helps me get my BG numbers moving when they seem stuck.

I have great results with sensors in my abdomen and arms, but I occasionally get compression lows and loss of signal especially at night. Something about my mattress seems to absorb the signal with my phone just an arm’s reach away on the nightstand. I’m intrigued with trying a calf location.

4 Likes

You do know how to reuse the sensors right?

3 Likes

I do, but the placement wasn’t 100% on this one, as I had some tenderness when I overused that arm. That lead me to believe that I was too close to my muscle, so I was happy to put a new sensor on. If this one continues to read as well as it does, I will attempt to reuse it honestly - it’s in a better location and it’s not really bothering me there.

On another note, I do my Omnipod dash training this afternoon! So excited. Ready to dial in my numbers even more and not stick my stomach 4+ times a day. :laughing:

4 Likes

in my experience only, if you set a sensor in a major muscle group, it’s wicked sore for a day or 2, then that soreness magically goes away assuming you force yourself to use said muscle group regardless of pain (sort of like getting a vaccine shot in the arm, you use the arm to alleviate the pain)

3 Likes

@Millz
Thank you for sharing the calf suggestion!! I’ve been rotating between for the last 4 sessions, and its really been comfy. Its great to be able to sleep on either side. But the tan lines are looking kinda funny!

4 Likes

Glad it works for you!

I started trying the calf placement specifically because I’m a side sleeper. I can’t remember the last time my Dex wasn’t on my calf.

2 Likes

@Millz and @Mariethm - I just tried my calf tonight! I’m letting the sensor sit overnight and then will put the transmitter in in the morning. I was seriously skittish about pressing the orange button to plunge it in, but once I did it was no problem at all. Fingers crossed this works as well as my upper arms! (This will give my myofascial and physical therapists free rein to work on both arms/shoulders now - yay?!)

6 Likes

Calf CGM users – is anyone able to get a re-start of their sensor on their calves? My first placement on my calf never gave me the smooth lines that I got on my upper arms (lines were “jittery” through the entire 10 days) and on days 8-10 I got numerous sensor errors that lasted 60-90 minutes each time. I just started a new sensor on my other calf, but typically do re-start a sensor on my arm once and get a solid 20 days on each sensor. Thanks! Jessica

1 Like

Now @T1Allison, I was just going to comment, “Looks like a cyclist’s leg.” Well, all my women cycling friends have legs like that. We guys tend to be more angular.

2 Likes

@JessicaD Yes. I restart every sensor and I only wear them on my calves. Some restarted sensors do last longer than others but lately I’ve determined that transmitter age has the most impact on a successful sensor restart). If I’m in the last 30 days left on the transmitter I usually get fewer days out of the restarted sensor.

5 Likes

Thanks @Millz calf sensor #2 just gave up the ghost after 5 days. My transmitter is almost at the end of its life, too, so that might be the problem (but it’s never been a factor before for me). My stomach is also a battlefield for sensors (I never get even 10 days out of them) and my arms have been magical… BUT I have been feeling such freedom in allowing my shoulder therapists access to both shoulders/arms - it has felt great. Grrrr. Will give the calf another go. Fingers crossed and thank you for the response! Jessica

3 Likes

I’ve never restarted a sensor since I switch to iPhone from xDrip+. I may try restarting if my current sensor lasts the full 10 days!

2 Likes

So I tried my right calf…and wouldn’t you know it, after all of my Dexcom sensor deconstruction lately to see how they fire, the needle got hung up and stayed in my leg and no amount of whacking the applicator with my husband’s electric toothbrush (closest thing in reach) could get the needle to retract or release the sensor from the housing. I had to pull off the whole sensor and needle stuck to/in my leg.

I’ve now tried my left calf with a new sensor and it fired and retracted correctly. Fingers crossed for a new spot!

4 Likes

@T1Allison Sorry you had the trouble….more so that the solutions didn’t work for you! On the good side, looks like you won the battle, hope it was without significant injury! Please post how you think the calf placement works for you, I’m sure many would appreciate another alternate location.

3 Likes

YIKES @T1Allison! Fingers crossed that calf will work for you. I gave it a solid try for 3 months b/c the location was such an ideal fit for me, but I had so many sensor failures (at 5-7 days) that it just wasn’t viable. I am back to upper arms and 10+ day sensor life.

4 Likes

I’m sorry this happened to you Allison, but my first thought was, “These sensors are sentient, with a wide streak of revenge.” This hung up sensor took one for the team.

I really appreciated your detailed post on deconstructing a sensor. As to the toothbrush, maybe that’s not heavy enough, maybe a hairbrush. That always got my attention as a wayward child, mischievous they called me.

6 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Obviously you didn’t read the instructions for required tools. No replacement for you🥸

41WLBFZG2OL.AC_SY1000

6 Likes