Calf Placement of Dexcom - Alternate Spots that work

I’ve always been a side sleeper and have experimented where to place the Dex specifically to avoid pressure lows. My favorite spot is the upper back of my calf (a little bit under the bend of the knee where there is a bit of “meat”). I don’t have pressure lows while sleeping…I just avoid crossing my leg with the Dex and it’s usually all good. Most of the time I forget it’s even there.

10 Likes

@Millz I really want to use that spot, but I always seem to knock the Dexcom off. Do you have any insertion pain there? Is it dead center on your upper calf, or to one side? Do you have any reception issues when the sensor is placed there?

3 Likes

@elver I’ve tried a few different placements in the calf (up & down, sideways, off center). The most comfortable for me is slightly off center to the outside & straight up & down). Once in a blue moon I have an uncomfortable one (not bad considering I only use this location (alternate from calf to calf).

I find it easier to sit with leg up, relax my calf muscle, find the soft spot just above the calf muscle and insert the sensor.

I have some reception issues but not an atypical amount (usually Bluetooth issues unrelated to sensor location). I can almost always restart my sensors at least once.

9 Likes

THANKS @Millz for the info! I think when I tried it in the past I was too far down my calf, closer to the middle. Next sensor I’m going to try this location :slight_smile: Thx again!

2 Likes

I hope it works for you!

2 Likes

Me too. I’ll let you know in 15 days or so…

1 Like

neat, that’s a really interesting placement. I would never have thought of it on back of upper calf right below knee joint. I’m not sure it will work for me as I have large muscular calves and the legs are like 4 or 5% body fat… yeah, I’m built weird. ;). But am going to take a look at it for sure, thanks.

I do very well on the upper arm but not where most people would use. Large triceps cause reading probs but there are areas a bit higher toward the inner half yet so more on the side. just find fatty spots in that same area. Best readings I’ve ever had since moving there from abdominal area over a year ago.

Even my upper arm can be in the way now & then. I sense a few potential issues with your calf placement but every area has trade-offs for sure. One for me is definitely if I’m off surf fishing. I highly doubt the Dexcom sensor or transmitter can handle saltwater that’s more than the odd splash. Then again I think call Dexcom about it

2 Likes

@Millz this is fascinating – thank you so much for posting a picture. I worried about not having enough meat for this to work. I am going to try this.

7 Likes

8 Likes

@elver Did you ever give the calf a try?

1 Like

Hi @Millz , I did! Super glad I did too!!! The first placement lasted a day (my fault), the second 2 days (again my fault), but the third went the distance!! :slight_smile: That is a super comfortable out of the way spot that I will be definitely using going forward, so thank you very much for the great idea :grinning:

5 Likes

So glad it worked out! We’re here to share successful (and not so successful) things we try.

I honestly haven’t placed my Dex anywhere else in years!

3 Likes

I know a lot of people put theirs on their upper arm, but guyyyyyyys - this is the most accurate sensor I’ve had!!!
I put it on less than 24 hours ago and since this morning it has only been around 10mg/dl apart from my meter readings. I think arms are going to be it for me, not sure where that leaves room for my Omnipod dash just yet, but I’ll figure that out when my pods come in the mail.

9 Likes

@Necroplasm arms are the spot for me, too! Stomach NEVER worked and I just rotate spots on my arms. I’m not a pumper, so can’t help with omnipod ideas, but YAY on finding your spot for the Dexcom! Jessica

4 Likes

Congrats, finding a good site is beautiful! You can use the other arm for the dash, and probably even break your arm into three locations, that way you switch arms every Dexcom, but don’t overuse any one site.

4 Likes

Absolutely going to try the other plump locations in my upper arms, but I’m honestly very happy with the difference ratio on this sensor so far! I had a 40 point variance last night, but I think that was just because I had taken a shower and may have gotten shampoo near my sensor.

This morning, finger sticked twice and it’s no more than a 10 point mg/dl variance. Which is crazy, I never thought I’d get that tight of an accurate reading with the IF. I can definitely do one arm for pods and the other for my Dexcom, or I can find room on the same arm for both and alternate - I’m mostly a side sleeper, so I need to have one I can alternate onto without worrying about tech dysfunction haha.

3 Likes

That’s around the same spot that I have always put them on, on Liam, and we have generally great results.

3 Likes

I find my results are more accurate here most of the time. Last night I had a 50 point variance which I didn’t like: dex said 145 and finger stick said 197. Bolused a 0.5 unit, took an extra unit of my Lantus for today, and I woke up with a fasting of 78.

Learning to watch my feminine cycle weeks to look for any new trends. I’m nearing the end of my “egg week” as I call it - and I noticed an uptick in carb sensitivity and a bit of insulin resistance. I’m confident I can work around it though.

Back to upper arm sensors - I think I may have rested the needle a little too close to my muscle, and that’s why occasionally the readings are far off. I’ll try and get it further near the back of my arm for the next one and see if it makes a difference.

5 Likes

Be aware of compression lows also if you aren’t already. We are always flipping Liam over when her rolls onto his. They are usually easy to spot… You’re costing along nicely and then start to tank/nosedive.

5 Likes

Thankfully, no compression lows - I’m mindful and sleep on my back or my other side. It’s mainly for me that it’s not registering my high rises, and usually when I’m off in numbers it’s because my BG is above normal range.

3 Likes